Canadian Coalition Government: Does democracy exist in Canada anymore?

Page 1 of 8
Surely some of you have heard of the talks of a Liberal/NDP/BQ/Green Coalition government in Canada. They plan on overthrowing the conservative government, placing Stephane Dion as prime minister and ultimately throwing this country into a huge debt and placing us in a position comparable to the U.S.A. What do you think about this? Is it a good/bad idea? Do you feel like your rights have been violated? I certainly do. I feel like the word democracy has no meaning anymore. Discuss.
I heard about this, I don't know what's totally going out but it must suck to be Stephen Harper right now.
I agree with the democracy thing, but I'm sorry to inform you that there's no such thing as Canadians.
wait...
i dont think thats fair to say
i think there are some valid points to the plan
What's a Canada?
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Yeah, there's not very much he can do at this moment. He was offering to go to the polls AGAIN just so that the opposition can lose AGAIN. The Liberal party is a crock of ****.
Layton said he wouldn't do it if Dion was at the helm. It's just going to create a two party system like in the states, which i think is a better idea since any votes for green, bloc and to an extent, ndp, are wastes anyways.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
According to your apparent bias it would be a bad idea. I don't know anything past what you've told me so I'll wait for a neutral party to elaborate.
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
I just don't think that Dion and Layton understand that if we didn't elect them, it's because we don't want them to be ruling the country.
I have no idea about the Coalition because I've been out of the loop lately, but seriously, that first post was way too biased to ask for opinions that don't match your own.

EDIT: What Gsaws said...
By reading this magnificently and wonderful, adjective-filled signature, you have just wasted approximately 7 seconds of your life.
I'll admit, I am quite biased. But this proposal will ultimately screw over our country.
They plan on spending BILLIONS the moment they get into power. Imagine Jack Layton as our Finance minister...
Quote by slappymoe66
Canada has never been a Democracy. It has, since 1867 been a constitutional monarchy.

Whatever. You know what I mean.
You guys are morons.
The majority of canadians voted for NOT STEPHEN HARPER.
This is a good idea. The left > the right.
Quote by slappymoe66
Canada has never been a Democracy. It has, since 1867 been a constitutional monarchy.

There's always someone that has to play the role of a smartass.

Canada is actually also considered to be a democracy, if you don't agree/like it. Go look up the word "democracy" on dictionary.com.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
Quote by StephanDion343
You guys are morons.
The majority of canadians voted for NOT STEPHEN HARPER.
This is a good idea. The left > the right.

yes that is how it works in a first past the post system where there are more than two parties, welcome to canada
fear is the mindkiller

CANUCKS
I don't know how Harper got back into power after all the guff he took for being Bush's lapdog. I'm glad it's happening; surely 4 heads are better than one. Especially 4 non-Conservative heads.
Quote by TheEducatedFool
yes that is how it works in a first past the post system where there are more than two parties, welcome to canada

Yeah. One right party, 4 left parties.
They are just evening up the odds.
i thought the green party werent included in this. didnt they lose their only seat not too long ago? i thought it was just a duceppe/dion/layton thing.
also, this will only pass depending on the decision of the governor general next week, frankly i think she should choose another election because this whole coalition thing seems rather undemocratic, especially so soon after an election, with an undenied conservative advance
fear is the mindkiller

CANUCKS
The coalition leaders were going to try to make sure there wouldn't be an election. Also, it is highly unlikely that Stephan Dion is going to be the prime minister, even the Liberals know he's useless. I also believe that having two-three parties teaming up with each other and compromising with each other to create a government is a great idea.

I'm also going to call you and Stephen Harper hypocrites because you're making such a big deal about this, even though the election he called is essentially the same situation. He was going to call an election a year from now, instead he called an election now because he couldn't get his way in parliament. I personally don't want someone who would do that leading our country, there are much more pressing issues today than trying to get a copyright legislation passed and lowering arts & culture federal funding.

I'm sorry if your "rights feel violated," my rights felt violated when I saw the October election results. Our electoral system needs a serious overhaul and is really quite horrid at giving equal representation.
Quote by StephanDion343
Yeah. One right party, 4 left parties.
They are just evening up the odds.

^^^this guy made an account when he saw this thread
I think Stephane Dion would be a pretty weak PM. He seems to get pushed around easily.
Quote by DrLoveFuzz
I'd rather listen to my parents having sex than LCD Soundsystem.
Quote by RX120D
Surely some of you have heard of the talks of a Liberal/NDP/BQ/Green Coalition government in Canada. They plan on overthrowing the conservative government, placing Stephane Dion as prime minister and ultimately throwing this country into a huge debt and placing us in a position comparable to the U.S.A. What do you think about this? Is it a good/bad idea? Do you feel like your rights have been violated? I certainly do. I feel like the word democracy has no meaning anymore. Discuss.

Do you even know what a vote of non-confidence is, or why it exists? Do you care that the Conservative government is a minority government? Does it concern you that the NDP and Green party need more votes to get a single seat than the Liberals or Conservatives?

Democracy in Canada is pathetic, to say that this will result in a coalition govt. "throwing this country into a huge debt and placing us in a position comparable to the U.S.A" is a fairly stupid thing to say.

Votes of non-confidence aren't new. It isn't some secret plot that was devised by the evil NDP and Liberals. It's an entrenched part of the Canadian political system which the Conservatives are complaining about now that it's being used against them.
Quote by slappymoe66
Yeah okay, except that a democracy and Constitutional Monarchy are different. Nothing happens without the Queen's or Queen's representative (Governor General) approval. So some components are the same but it's still not a democracy so don't say it is.

It's a form of democracy, fool.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
If the Liberals, NDP, and Quebecois join together they outnumber the Conservatives and have the majority of seats and so how is that unfair? I say good riddence to George W. Harper. No more stealing from the poor to give to the rich.
Quote by jummie
u think i'm just some wanna be, but u know what, i have alot of friends and i don't care what you think

yea? well i'm going home... and i'm taking the ball with me!
Democracy is a word. Like all words, it exists to describe an item, person or state of being. If that state of being is changed then that word probably can't be used to describe the alteresd state of affairs.

Sorry. I've been living in the USA lately.
2004 Fender Mexican Fat Strat
2003 Epiphone SG-400
Marshall DSL-401
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter

http://www.myspace.com/realityfracture/
i didnt vote for harper so this douche bag's misery kind of fills me with you

and i mean when you look logically at the percentage of canadians who voted for the Cons, versus the coaliltion parties, technically the coalition government would be a more accurate representation of how canada voted....

however its still in bad faith and bad taste, mind you with harper and flaherty realizing how ass backwards their budget is that they pushed back introducing it for over a month, so that they could conceivably spend holidays in power, in ottawa i imagine

i guess the point is i want some stability, a coalition wouldnt be a bad thing, provided they voted the budget down and campaigned an idea of cooperation and coalition right off the get go and provided some honesty about it.

mind you the conservatives have only continued to dig themselves in a hole by secretly taping and releasing private meeting of NDP probably not helping the public sympathy, what with the deceit and scumbagness
I think the fact that they are willing to work together in itself shows they care more about the greater good of the country oppossed to Stephen Harper who is no better than Rodney MacDonald(Premiere of NS who recently tried to overturn the municipal governments decision against the demolition of historic properties to build a sterile, bland office building.)

It is becoming more frequent that people in power are abusing it for their own personal vendetta no matter what the consequences to the rest of the population.
Quote by lol2theworld
I was about to diss kornflipsk8er, but then i realized hes an 03er and im an 09er.
I am inferior to him.

Quote by metalh3ad88
I am fairly certain that kornflipsk8er is GOD!!!11!!!!1!!
Last edited by kornflipsk8er at Dec 1, 2008,
There's plenty of left sided parties.
There's very few right sided parties.

All the votes for the right, go to the Conservatives.
All votes for the left, get merged up over much smaller issues, or fewer issues.
The conservatives are not a majority government, meaning they did not gain over 50% of the votes.
In the case of a minority government, the other parties will often form a coalition government.
If any one of the bills by the majority government gets voted against by 51% or more, the majority government loses its position as government, and a new government is formed with the coalition government.
How is that not democratic...? If the majority dislikes the ideas of the minority, the majority gets to have some say in it.

And the governor general doesn't just do nothing. -_- The governor general has the power to immediately remove the present government, or approve/deny any law that gets passed by the Federal government.
It's basically a Canadian coup.

Please explain to me how we will go immediately into debt?
Quote by archangels666
Find me someone who doesn't do that and I'll show you a man humping a hippopotamus.

Quote by Vigilantius
High chairs are for little girls. My kids eat gravel off of bare concrete.

Party overthrow of the government? What are you, ****ing Pakistan?

Is this like an actually overthrow or some parliamentary shenanigans to install a new PM?
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
It's a friggin' coup and I love it. It's a (mostly) stable country's version of a revolution. I love it. Mostly because I voted not Conservative.
It'd never happen with Dion as the prospective PM, the Liberals were planning on replacing him before the election was even over. It'd also be very inefficient, there would be too much disagreement within the newly formed majority party and nothing would get done. They can already outvote Harper whenever they want to anyway, and they do, no reason to make it official and have to keep the coalition together for however long they agreed to.
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
Quote by civildp1
Party overthrow of the government? What are you, ****ing Pakistan?

Is this like an actually overthrow or some parliamentary shenanigans to install a new PM?

NDP and Liberals are holding a no-confidence vote against Stephen Harper's government. If it goes in their favour, they're going to tell the GG to not have another election, and instead create a coalition government.
Quote by Jericho114
There's always someone that has to play the role of a smartass.

Canada is actually also considered to be a democracy, if you don't agree/like it. Go look up the word "democracy" on dictionary.com.

If you want definitions, then canada is a representative democracy, therefore, not a democracy at all.

And since I'm an NDP commie pinko revolution faggot, I find the TS's post to be extremely offensive. There is no way that their spendign would put us in the same situation as the USA. The USA spent all their money on a fruitless war. They propose to spend our money on thigns that will benefit us. It'll be a logn road, but hell, it'll work.

I don't liek the idea of Stephane as PM though. Layton's a better guy.
Quote by teamzaius
Layton said he wouldn't do it if Dion was at the helm. It's just going to create a two party system like in the states, which i think is a better idea since any votes for green, bloc and to an extent, ndp, are wastes anyways.

Ah yes, because our two party system is the model form of government... The U.S. government is a ****ing sham. Every four years people like you think they have no choice but to vote for an extreme liberal or conservative candidate. In the end the status quo is essentially preserved and nothing changes. I'm waiting to see if Obama will actually do anything but I'm not holding my breath. The two party system does NOT work.
Quote by Steven Wright
If God dropped acid, would he see people?
Quote by st.stephen
NDP and Liberals are holding a no-confidence vote against Stephen Harper's government. If it goes in their favour, they're going to tell the GG to not have another election, and instead create a coalition government.

Lame.

Trias politica. Try it some time.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke