Hello, anyone now of any fairly inexpensive amps (preferably tube) that can get that thick, overdriven lead sound used by mainy guitarists of progressive rock/metal?

...And would the Jackson DKMG Archtop (http://www.zzounds.com/item--JAC2910100) be a good guitar for progressive/shred playing if i swapped out the EMG's?

Budget for amp would probably be $1000 tops, due to the fact that i turn 16 next summer and can get a job
Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
i recently turned 16 as well. but to the point, i have a mesa single recto and i have been very happy with the tones i have gotten out of it. you could maybe get a combo for about a grand or so.
ok so single recto.

anyone heard anything about kustoms or bugeras? or maybe valveking? are they good and how much do those run?
Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
Quote by Jammin'
ok so single recto.

anyone heard anything about kustoms or bugeras? or maybe valveking? are they good and how much do those run?

Kustoms are meh... had one for a bit. Sucked out my low end (no pun intended)... granted that was just the cab. It's alright, I guess.

Never played a Bugera...

Valveking... if you're considering a Single Rec, this would be a MAJOR step down for you.
My main rig:
Schecter C-1 Classic
B.C. Rich Mockingbird NJ Neck-thru
LTD M-300
Peavey 5150 II
Randall RS412XL

Greatest thread ever.
Personally the valveking wont cut it for a prog like tone. trust me.. go with a rectifier of some sort
You could probably find a used Mark IV for under $1000.. maybe I'm biased because I own one, but I love the metal tone I get out of it. And for that matter, cleans and light gain bluesy sounds too out of the rhythm 2 channel. It has a nice smooth, thick lead sound with the neck pickup for solos. Listen to early Dream Theater for an idea of the sound you'll get from it. Both Lamb of God guitarists use one as well, as far as I know.

I've played rectifiers in a local shop and can never get a sound that I like out of them. Maybe it's tubes or something, who knows..
IF interested in that DKMG. I've a beautiful one for cheap, free hardshell case. Would save you a LOT of money.

There's also a $50 bonus for UG members. It's a tranparent black finish, only 2 years old. Plays perfect, sounds perfect, one minor cosmetic flaw on the back of the guitar. Can't be seen while playing by you or others.

PM! or send me an email for pics at stever@fast.net
BUY MY JACKSON
Quote by imgooley
I don't know what that shit (racer x or paul gilbert) sounds like.

Quote by DSchmitty
Gilbert is a bad riff writer.

Quote by JeffWiredBeck24

Treble - 0
Bass - 0
Mids - 0
Volume - 0
'Tude - 10
Whiny Voice - 10
Panties - White

Quote by Shabadoo
I brake for huge nuts
Quote by Jammin'
Hello, anyone now of any fairly inexpensive amps (preferably tube) that can get that thick, overdriven lead sound used by mainy guitarists of progressive rock/metal!

Bugera 333XL
Quote by mongo_man
Bugera 333XL

Stumbled onto Bugera quite by accident and it sounds great for Tool, Rush, Vai, Dream Theater, Etc

Excellent cleans, OD, and saturated tones...takes FX VERY well too!

BUT...Reliability IS an issue. These things ship with loose connections. A few small mods, a couple turns of a screwdriver and a good bias will fix these problems. (I personally haven't had an issue.)
i was actually considering a bugera 333xl. so a quick trip to a shop should fix any problems?

and does it have that thick sound that the peavey supposedly lacks?
Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
Last edited by Jammin' at Dec 4, 2008,
Quote by Jammin'
i was actually considering a bugera 333xl. so a quick trip to a shop should fix any problems?

I'd say yeah. But again... the relibility isn't the greatest
Quote by Jammin'

and does it have that thick sound that the peavey supposedly lacks?

Very thick sound when running a slight mono chorus. I'm really surprised by this thing. The cleans are fantastic as well. I absolutely LOVE the crunch channel. Very very FAT tone.

If you buy one, it's not difficult at all to open it up and tighten some screws. Click on the link in my Sig for details.

I'd also recommend a bias probe as well or have the shop correctly bias it for you.
excellent answer. i'll play both the peavey and bugera before i buy either. if i do get the bugera, i will be sure to use the link. Thanks everyone!
Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
Don't forgot about the B-52 AT series as well

They sound quite good for that style
If you can find one cheap used, JSX.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?