So my girlfriend has been telling me how much she wants a harmonica lately, so I've decided to get her a really nice one for Christmas. I've kind of been browsing online shops, but I really don't know what I'm looking for. So far I've gathered that there are two main types, diatonic and chromatic, one of which only plays in a select key and the other can be tuned to various keys (correct me if I'm wrong). She doesn't know any music theory or anything, this is just kind of an impulsive desire of hers, so I don't think she would really care if it only can play in one key or various keys, unless of course she actually does try to learn songs on it.

So after that long wall of text, my question to all you harmonica enthusiasts is: Can you recommend me a very nice looking, decently priced (not over $100 preferably) harmonica, and tell me why you recommend it?
Don't need a gun to blow your mind.
**** you, I was hoping that in a forum full of musicians, there would be at least a couple that knew something about harps. I guess I can't expect much from the pit though. (bump)
Don't need a gun to blow your mind.
Hey man, theyre pretty cheap. This is the one I have. The guy at Guitar Center told me he recommends it and its what most people that hes talked to like and buy. I like it too. Has a nice sound.

http://folk-instruments.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hohner-53220-Blues-Harp-Harmonica?sku=420620
I'd get a diatonic, I believe that's the most common. Plus, chromatic ones are a lot more expensive.
Yeah, get her a diatonic one, you can get a nice M Hohner for 45 bucks or so. I'd suggest getting her one in the key of "C."

I don't know much about harmonica's by the way.
Get a hohner special 20 ( Prabably the most widely used among pros)...cheap great sounding and relatively inexpensive. key of c is a good choice. One thing to consider is the the material that holds the reeds(comb). Plastic is WAY easier to play and is much more comfortable than wood.
Check this one out http://folk-instruments.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hohner-56020-Special-20-Marine-Band-Harmonica?sku=420670
Gear;
Ibanez AF75
Takamine EG550
Digitech gnx3
Peavey Classic 50
Last edited by telemonster at Dec 1, 2008,
Quote by muppet master
**** you, I was hoping that in a forum full of musicians, there would be at least a couple that knew something about harps. I guess I can't expect much from the pit though. (bump)

...it wasn't sarcasm

i actually read a good chunk of that guide and it seemed like good info, especially the part about not buying a certain harmonica just because of the name because quality varies

but ok...you're welcome
Last edited by mybsaccownt at Dec 2, 2008,
Tell her you'll give her something to blow
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨