Hey everyone,

I just finished a 15 page major paper for my English semester. I handed in a soft copy today but my school is also making us send an electronic copy (presumably to run through their plagerism scanner), and I do not want to take any chances.

Every scanner I've found on the internet has been Windows based. Does anyone know of a Mac based one?
Don't know of any free ones...

But hey! IF you're willing to pay a couple grand I could hook you up...
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Try FileMerge.

I dunno if that's really what you want, but it puts 2 documents side by side and shows you where the differences are between both.
Why waste money on a scanner? Just do a google check. Type in the part that doesnt sound like the student, or sounds plagiarized on google, and if its online already, it will pop up!
Quote by Freddedonna
Try FileMerge.

I dunno if that's really what you want, but it puts 2 documents side by side and shows you where the differences are between both.

Nah, the ones I'm thinking of scan an internet database and highlight any similarities organized by relevance.
Quote by yingyangthang
Why waste money on a scanner? Just do a google check. Type in the part that doesnt sound like the student, or sounds plagiarized on google, and if its online already, it will pop up!

I don't think you understand, I wrote the paper. I'm looking to run it through a scanner to find out if there's anything too similar to something else out there that I need to change.

Quote by dullsilver_mike

Did you knowingly plagerize? I personally wouldn't worry about it at all, just turn the thing in if you wrote it yourself.

No definitely not. It's just a paranoia thing. We had to use secondary sources for literary criticism on the novels and I had some similar ideas, I just want to make sure I rewrote everything properly in my own way.
Quote by wilty00
Nah, the ones I'm thinking of scan an internet database and highlight any similarities organized by relevance.

turnitin.com does that but I'm pretty sure you have to pay for that
Last.fm
Quote by Weybl Himself
It's the Pit, every day is Dumbass Question Day
I know exactly what you're talking about, but I can't find anything either. As a fellow Mac owner, I feel for you. Do you have a buddy with a PC or something?
type in "plagiarism scanner for mac" first one i dont know if its legit its free though
edit: never mind its for windows
i have a mac and i hate it when mac comes up in the search and has nothing to do with the program
Quote by nincompoop
potcorn56, you are a god.
Last edited by potcorn56 at Dec 1, 2008,
Woah, I'm writing the same paper as you
except mine is due on Thursday

(finding secondary sources sucks )
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by RunRiot
turnitin.com does that but I'm pretty sure you have to pay for that

Yup, schools pay for that. My school uses it and its quite funny when someones paper comes back 100% plagiarized.
..umm turnitin.com
that checks similarities..but thats all i know of.
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
No dice on turnitin.com, they've got that **** on lockdown in terms of registration/downloading.

I guess I'll just roll the dice. I know I don't have anything copied directly, I figured I just may as well since it's such a big part of my term.
parallels + windows will fix your problem.
PM me for help
Last edited by GettintheLedout at Dec 1, 2008,
except parallels runs like sh!t on macbooks, and about everything except my Mac Pro. And then it still blows cack for anything RAM intensive.
Is this what you want?
Quote by wilty00

No definitely not. It's just a paranoia thing. We had to use secondary sources for literary criticism on the novels and I had some similar ideas, I just want to make sure I rewrote everything properly in my own way.

If you're this concerned, I'm sure you'll easily be able to appeal any accusation that could come up on a freak accident.

Most institutions aren't too concerned with really esoteric inadvertant plagerism like this unless you intend to publish that piece of writing. But of course, you know your own department and school best.
Quote by MarshallMadness
except parallels runs like sh!t on macbooks, and about everything except my Mac Pro. And then it still blows cack for anything RAM intensive.

Runs fine on my macbook.
Turnitin.com isnt so bad. My school uses it all the time. Ive turned in countless papers just by rewriting the facts from my sources, and ive never gone over 6% plagerized ^_^

Just dont worry about it, even if its to try to be original. Every story idea has been done or thought of before, so theres no point in getting into a big fuss because your story sound similar to some elses.
cant you just go to your class and ask if you can use the scanner?..
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by wilty00
Hey everyone,

I just finished a 15 page major paper for my English semester. I handed in a soft copy today but my school is also making us send an electronic copy (presumably to run through their plagerism scanner), and I do not want to take any chances.

Every scanner I've found on the internet has been Windows based. Does anyone know of a Mac based one?

I don't get it?

My university just uses turnitin, you just upload the word file or copy the text or whatever and it reads it.

Is this mandatory & does your institution have a method for this stuff, or are you just doing it 'cause you can?

Best o' luck.
Quote by juancsego
i have a right to do anything with the least amount of activity possible and if u cant respect that u can go to japan and buy panties out of vending machines...communists

If you live in Australia, save your internet:

Click.
i thought this was going to be about a scanner that was stealing your work. lol
Quote by snipelfritz
I used to think that way. Then, I went through high school without getting laid once.

well u did it wrong.