Well here's my story. My son has played guitar for several years and this Christmas, my wife and I have decided to get him a Gibson Les Paul. I myself have played guitar for years, but only acoustic, so I really have no idea what to get for him (aside from the fact that he's always going on about a LP).

I was just wondering what people thought about these two guitars (the LP Custom and the LP Standard) and which one would be a better purchase for my son. Actually, if someone could highlight some of the differences between the two, that would be great.

Oh, and my son tends to play a lot of classic rock, blues, and I occasionally hear some metal riffs shaking the house.

Thanks in advance.
If you're going to surprise him with it, the Standard might be a safer bet. How about taking him to a guitar shop that stocks both and try out a few Gibsons yourself; see if he comments on one in particular.
Quote by blue_strat
If you're going to surprise him with it, the Standard might be a safer bet. How about taking him to a guitar shop that stocks both and try out a few Gibsons yourself; see if he comments on one in particular.

good idea.

also, i find that a guitarist should usually feel the guitar for himself before choosing it. i went thru 3 different V's (same exact model and everything) before choosing mine.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
As a proud Custom owner, I gotta say they are amazing, BUT so are standards, its all down to personal tastes.

Check out some ESP LTD Eclipses, they are great and yet half the dough
Gear:
Agile 2000 2ts
ESP LTD Eclipse 1000, ASB
Amps:
Crate GTD65
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
I have a Les Paul Custom (Epi), and I love it. I can't say much about standards, as tbh I haven't really tried them. I'm guessing the only main differences is appearance. I'd probably go with the Standard to be economic though.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
That's probably my best best. Better to be safe than sorry.

As for (sound) quality, I guess neither will let him down? Gibson have a pretty solid reputation going.
Quote by meskooze
That's probably my best best. Better to be safe than sorry.

As for (sound) quality, I guess neither will let him down? Gibson have a pretty solid reputation going.

The standards have a bit of a brighter tone and are much lighter in weight compared to the custom.

The Standard has a maple cap which adds to the brightness. They have rosewood fingerboards and burstbucker pickups. They are usually finished in bursts.

The Customs are darker in sound due to being primarily mahogany and have an Ebony fingerboard which some people (like me) prefer on guitars. The Customs are usually finished in solid colours except for the '68 which comes with a flametop burst.

The BIGGEST difference however is the quality. The Gibson Les Paul Custom is a Custom Shop guitar so extra time and care was put into the guitar when it was built. You most likely won't get a dud from the custom shop and if you do, they'll happily swap it for another.

The Les Paul standard is in the Gibson USA line and as they produce much more guitars compared to the Custom Shop, you have a higher risk at getting a 'Friday guitar' as I call them.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I think a lot of it is down to the looks, a lot of people prefer the look of a nice trans finish to solid black or white, and with a bit of EQing you could make a standard sound similar to a custom and vice versa, not to mention the price tag and that the standards sound awesome anyway. Besides which, if it was me, i'd count myself lucky that my parents wanted to buy me a gibson les paul in the first place!

Though as people said, go try them out, every company can make the occasional dud, even gibson.
LTD range dont have any Eclipses guitars.

Quote by Vastros
As a proud Custom owner, I gotta say they are amazing, BUT so are standards, its all down to personal tastes.

Check out some ESP LTD Eclipses, they are great and yet half the dough
Maybe a Traditional? That's what I'd do.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
The BIGGEST difference however is the quality. The Gibson Les Paul Custom is a Custom Shop guitar so extra time and care was put into the guitar when it was built. You most likely won't get a dud from the custom shop and if you do, they'll happily swap it for another.

The Les Paul standard is in the Gibson USA line and as they produce much more guitars compared to the Custom Shop, you have a higher risk at getting a 'Friday guitar' as I call them.
Absolutely disregard this.

The Customs are still being made in the same factory in Memphis that the production line Gibsons are. They're just being filed under the Custom Shop name now for no reason other than to boost sales and as a poor justification of the increased price tag.

Also, you can disregard the part about Custom Shops being less likely to be bad. It's absolutely not true. When I was shopping around for my Custom Shop, I tried around eleven Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul model and around six production line Gibsons, and they were all awful guitars. I don't just mean they didn't quite justify their price tags, I mean they were truly awful by any standard. I've played (and owned) Korean-made guitars that have been better than every single one of the Gibsons I tried out.

Well... except for the very last one, the twelfth Custom Shop I tried. That one turned out to be simply amazing, I bought it and I've had no regrets about doing so. Even so, one good guitar out of twelve Custom Shops in total aren't good odds.

Not to mention, every single Gibson (both Custom Shop and production) was vastly different. You can forget everything you read on their sites, you can forget reviews - each one was different in some way. I played 'thin' 60's necks that were thicker than 'thick' 50's necks. I played 'heavy toned' Customs that sounded brighter than maple-capped '58s. I played a chambered 2008 Standard that weighed more than a solid '58. One '59 I played couldn't get clear harmonics at all even with gain whacked up, and another I was getting clear harmonics ringing out even on the neck pickup with very little gain.

You absolutely should not assume anything with Gibsons, and you cannot just surprise someone with one either. Your son needs to get to several guitar stores, and play every guitar he can get his hands on. And you don't settle on one just because it has 'Gibson' on the headstock, you don't buy one until you find the one that really screams out and feels perfect. You could find that guitar the very first store you go to, you might have to go to six stores and still not find one like that - that's just how Gibsons are. Then when your son's finally found one he really loves, he needs to go away, wait a day or two, and go back and try it a second time. If it still seems so flawless the second time around, that's the one you buy.

Take it from me, I've wasted a lot of money on a lot of guitars, mostly Les Pauls and mostly Gibson and Epiphone brand. Don't make the same mistake I've made too many times to remember! You have to be very picky, you have to try everything out, you should never leave anything to chance.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.