I am looking for a distortion pedal that is good for punk rock and classic rock sounds (but mostly punk like rise against and alkaline trio). i already have the boss mt-2 and want to get a different sound. no amp suggestions please, im looking for a pedal for sure
Æ
BOSS DS-1 Distortion Pedal. i just got one and its fantastic with a lil tweaking
fender american deluxe strat, fender bronco amp (its vintage but the clean sounds good and with my metal zone it sounds good distorted). i have around $200 to spend but would prefer spending $100
Æ
Quote by RapterX
BOSS DS-1 Distortion Pedal. i just got one and its fantastic with a lil tweaking

Good lord, no. You get what you pay for with pedals. Given that you already have a good high gain distortion, you might want to try something 'lighter', like a tube screamer (or clone). Look at the ibanez TS series, or anything that is a 'green' overdrive.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
ya i dont want to get the DS-1. is it true that tube screamers only sounds good with tube amps though? my amp is solid state
Æ
Quote by pwrmax
You could try a Digitech DF-7. I haven't used one yet but I've heard they're ok.

http://www.digitech.com/flash/DF7Demo.php

Not at all, this misconception comes from the fact that TS can add a lot of signal strength, which naturally overdrives the amp as well as adding its own tone.

It can sound good on SS, you can't just dime the pedal though. You will never to use a lower level of volume gain to prevent unwanted clipping on the amp. Set up properly, it will give you a nice dirty rhythm tone, or a bluesy/classic rock lead. However, it will not make a bad amp sound good.
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
They're not cheap, but look into a Pedalworx Texas Two step. Its a tube screamer with a built in boost channel (like 2 pedals in 1). Best pedal I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot. Check out the harmony central reviews, and you'll be sold.
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
but would it sound good for alternative/punk songs? it seems like its more geared toward classic rock (the tube screamer i mean)

the tts seems like its meant for southern blues/rock ala SRV. sounds like a cool pedal though, cool suggestion
Æ
Last edited by bluethunder2512 at Dec 1, 2008,
Tube screamers are used by tons of different people in any genre you can think of.
The DS-1 is pretty sweet if you know how to use it.

If you have a **** amp though, you'll still sound like ****.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
believe it or not, you can use the (Boss)HM-2 Heavy Metal pedal to get a whole lot more than the 80's metal sound. They don't make them no more but can be found on ebay for around $50