i decided to order a mexican strat as starter electric guitar.

but i googled rosewood and maple woods and it said maple is brighter but not as smooth? is that true?

should i buy it on ebay or a retail store online?
Last edited by Extraordinairy at Dec 1, 2008,
For fretboards, I figure feel and aesthetics are the most important factors; I don't notice that much of a difference tonally. (Take this with a grain of salt, your ears may well be pickier than mine).

Maple is a little more bright sounding, as you said, which may not be a good thing on Strats, which tend to be overbearing in the high end.

edit: As for the other part of your question, I would recommend trying the guitar before you buy it, since those Mexican Strats can be hit or miss. If that's not possible, find a place with a good return policy. My current electric, a Mexican Deluxe Players Strat, had a weird neck angle that had the low E string slide off the edge of the frets constantly. Currently awaiting the store's promised replacement.
Last edited by Gliu330 at Dec 1, 2008,
i love a rosewood neck. unfortunately, or fortunately, i got a maple neck on my tele.

i think the feel is so much for smooth. plus it doesnt get "tacky" or "grimy" such as a maple neck with someone with sweaty hands (someone that i know). i really think you should try it out yourself before deciding based on what you read online.
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
Quote by marktuazon
i love a rosewood neck. unfortunately, or fortunately, i got a maple neck on my tele.

i think the feel is so much for smooth. plus it doesnt get "tacky" or "grimy" such as a maple neck with someone with sweaty hands (someone that i know). i really think you should try it out yourself before deciding based on what you read online.

you not know speak english good does you?
Quote by marktuazon

Well, Teles always come with Maple, I don't think they make teles with Rosewood.

I myself prefer Rosewood over Maple, I find maple to be a little to bright and twangy, and I also just prefer the look of rosewood more.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
I've played both, wasn't really convinced either way... then I played a MIM Strat with a maple neck at Guitar Factory the other day, and it was beautiful, best Strat I've ever played. (and I've played a few USA Strats mind you) So I'd be inclined towards the maple.
Quote by DeltaFunk
Well, Teles always come with Maple, I don't think they make teles with Rosewood.

I myself prefer Rosewood over Maple, I find maple to be a little to bright and twangy, and I also just prefer the look of rosewood more.

They do make tele's with rosewood FB's.
Don't discount the effect the fretboard has on sound, in my opinion it's effect is as great as the body wood. (however small that can be)
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.