I wasn't sure exactly where to post this but I hope this falls close, oh well.. So I'm thinking of moving to Canada and trying to make it in a band somehow, because the U.S. music scene sucks right now. I would have to leave my job and so forth to do it, and I am really set on having a career in a band. What are the best cities to consider for good/great music scenes in Canada? Would it be easier to "make it" up there? There is no way in hell I'm playing in emo bands in America. How easy would it be to go up there and find work in a band? Just curious because I really have no future here and am heavily considering going up there.
Canada has a great music scene depending on where you are.

Toronto and Montreal are probably the front runners
Hamilton and Vancouver are also very strong.
A lot of bands just come from random places too though, but those four cities would be the most populated with musicians and a hip music scene.
Oh, and don't come to London, the music scene here blows.
I'm heading to Toronto ater graduating becuase of it's great scene. Calagary has an emerging rock scene too.

There are laws in Canada that radios must play so many minutes of Canadian material an hour. It does help Canadian bands a fair bit.

But **** Canada man, trust me. I hate this place. It's pretty landscape wise but the people are so snobby and the government is very corrupt. Stay in the States, if I could afford to I would move there ASAP.
Epiphone G-400 Goth (I love it so much!)
Digitech RP 80 Modeling Guitar Processor
Viper Amp (Getting new one soon.)
Jay Turser Strat (Worst guitar ever made.)

"Different strokes for different folks."
ok lets start off by stating the fact that the chances of "making it" in todays world are excruciatingly slim, so if thats what you want then you may as well just cut out all the BS and go and OD now and pretend. im sure theres a thread floating around here somewhere about the topic, go and check that out.

second, America has a fantastic music scene. in fact if i didnt hate the place so much (and yes i have been there and experienced it, it didnt do anything for me, so dont give me the "dont hate on something that you dont know about" BS) then i would move there to try to live a life as a musician, cuz theres bugger all chance here in Perth Weastern Australia (and if you disagree then i suggest you find a statistic on how many people have gotten global support from a band made here and compare it to places like eastern australia or america or england and find a percentage. we are too far away from anything and get **** all). so if i where you then i would stay in America.

and finally, can we get a clear definition of Emo? cuz seriously, all the bands that my friends class as "Emo" dont really have a depressing or "wrist-cutting" sound. i would really like to put this topic to rest.

P.S. lol sorry i just reread that and realized there was a fair bit of ranting.. oh well..
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Quote by Dunjma
ok lets start off by stating the fact that the chances of "making it" in todays world are excruciatingly slim, so if thats what you want then you may as well just cut out all the BS and go and OD now and pretend. im sure theres a thread floating around here somewhere about the topic, go and check that out.

second, America has a fantastic music scene. in fact if i didnt hate the place so much (and yes i have been there and experienced it, it didnt do anything for me, so dont give me the "dont hate on something that you dont know about" BS) then i would move there to try to live a life as a musician, cuz theres bugger all chance here in Perth Weastern Australia (and if you disagree then i suggest you find a statistic on how many people have gotten global support from a band made here and compare it to places like eastern australia or america or england and find a percentage. we are too far away from anything and get **** all). so if i where you then i would stay in America.

and finally, can we get a clear definition of Emo? cuz seriously, all the bands that my friends class as "Emo" dont really have a depressing or "wrist-cutting" sound. i would really like to put this topic to rest.

P.S. lol sorry i just reread that and realized there was a fair bit of ranting.. oh well..

this.
i was the music scene in dallas was emo. theres only the same metal bands forever and ever. ehh.
look around america and find a city with a better music scene? where you live? why not make the sound you want to and force it upon people, be a pioneer of sort in the music scene in your area, don find somewhere that you will sound like everyone else. im in orlando, we have some cheese music. college rock and whatnot, but theres some cool **** too. funky rock and whatnot.
Quote by Dunjma

By "making it" I mean just to be able to live and work as a guitarist in a band, not fame or anything. Just gigging in clubs.

Just take a look at whats popular in America right now for rock. Almost everyband my age that I see around at shows are the 90 pound womens jeans and eye-liner wearing kids that sing about meeting girls at rock concerts with thier whiney "EMO-tive voices". I want to find a place that is free of that and Canada seems most likey the place to go so far.
Last edited by Pizza The Hut at Dec 2, 2008,
Quote by raess
I'm heading to Toronto ater graduating becuase of it's great scene. Calagary has an emerging rock scene too.

There are laws in Canada that radios must play so many minutes of Canadian material an hour. It does help Canadian bands a fair bit.

But **** Canada man, trust me. I hate this place. It's pretty landscape wise but the people are so snobby and the government is very corrupt. Stay in the States, if I could afford to I would move there ASAP.

LOL the candaian goverment is currupt? Whos ever heard of a goverment thats not. The US is not the place to come to if your trying to escape currupt goverment.

I think there's a law in the US saying that the radio stations have to play canadian music every hour too because evertime i turn on the radio I hear some bull**** nickleback song.
Quote by Pizza The Hut
By "making it" I mean just to be able to live and work as a guitarist in a band, not fame or anything. Just gigging in clubs.

Just take a look at whats popular in America right now for rock. Almost everyband my age that I see around at shows are the 90 pound womens jeans and eye-liner wearing kids that sing about meeting girls at rock concerts with thier whiney "EMO-tive voices". I want to find a place that is free of that and Canada seems most likey the place to go so far.

Okay, no offense man, but if you think emo is the only "rock scene" in America right now, you need to start listening to more music and looking a bit deeper. Because there is A LOT of other music being made in America, played by people who are gigging in clubs and on the college circuit, i.e. musicians like you want to be, that is NOT emo or anything close to it.

Honestly, if you think moving to Canada will get you out of this dead zone of American music (and I don't like emo either, but I listen to plenty of bands making music NOW who are not emo, in all genres), and you don't know about all the other stuff around you, I don't think you will do well playing music anywhere you go.

You've got to take your blinders off and start looking around. Move to a big city near you and just go to the clusters of bars and arts places on weekends and check out bands, you will hear a TON of bands with diverse styles. Heck, even only modestly large cities have neat little scenes. Look up the bands you see on myspace and see who they are friends with, and you will find other area bands, and so on. Listen to college radio......I bet there's a college station near you streaming tons of left of the dial rock music that you can either tune into, or get on the net via stream for FREE.

Besides that, America only has about a BILLION venues to play.....and you think there's no crappy music in Canada? (No offense to Canada, there's tons of crap in America too, but I digress.) Your naivete, coupled with your goals and mindset, really scares me.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
I agree, there are tons of fantastic bands playing in America now. I personally think this is probably the best music to come out of America in a long time, you just won't here much on the radio. But those musicians are still supporting themselves and some making quite a lot. If you look into the "jamband" scene, there are countless quality bands touring. Like Umphrey's McGee, Gov't Mule, Derek Trucks, Disco Ciscuits, STS9, Family Groove Company, etc. Look into modern reggae(and reggae influenced bands) and that scene is thriving. Bands like High Tide, Slightly Stoopid, Pepper, Clear Conscience, Orange Grove, Toko Tasi, One Drop, etc.(and even Staylefish which is from Canada though). Also, the blues-type scene is quite alive. Those are the main forms of instrument played music I am into so I do not know a whole lot about bands in other genres.

Just move to a decent sized city and meet and jam with as many people as you can. There won't be much of a difference between Canada and America.
Quote by BHowell
Okay, no offense man, but if you think emo is the only "rock scene" in America right now, you need to start listening to more music and looking a bit deeper. Because there is A LOT of other music being made in America, played by people who are gigging in clubs and on the college circuit, i.e. musicians like you want to be, that is NOT emo or anything close to it.

Honestly, if you think moving to Canada will get you out of this dead zone of American music (and I don't like emo either, but I listen to plenty of bands making music NOW who are not emo, in all genres), and you don't know about all the other stuff around you, I don't think you will do well playing music anywhere you go.

You've got to take your blinders off and start looking around. Move to a big city near you and just go to the clusters of bars and arts places on weekends and check out bands, you will hear a TON of bands with diverse styles. Heck, even only modestly large cities have neat little scenes. Look up the bands you see on myspace and see who they are friends with, and you will find other area bands, and so on. Listen to college radio......I bet there's a college station near you streaming tons of left of the dial rock music that you can either tune into, or get on the net via stream for FREE.

Besides that, America only has about a BILLION venues to play.....and you think there's no crappy music in Canada? (No offense to Canada, there's tons of crap in America too, but I digress.) Your naivete, coupled with your goals and mindset, really scares me.

I can only tell you what I've been seeing and hearing around here. Every thursdays and fridays we have new bands comeing and doing shows around the college campuses and they are all emo/screamo bands. I've yet to see an actual rock or god forbid good metal (i.e one that doesn't do metalcore or numetal) band around here (Boston) or any of the cities I'v been to so far. The emos are everywhere. Seems if you want to play in a working band these days you have to look like a 12 year old girl and scream about problems on stage.
Last edited by Pizza The Hut at Dec 2, 2008,
Vancouver, Toronto, and Central Alberta have big scenes.
Stay away from Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Quebec. I'm not sure what it's like in the maritimes, though.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
You will find it everywhere, I live in Toronto, I'm well aware of the music scene here. Its strong, but at the same time you will always have stuff you don't like no matter where you are. I see plenty of "emo/screamo" bands. Does that weaken the scene, of course not. If you don't like the trends break them, try and set new ones. It's hard work but you need to hold your ground about the music you play. I definitely wouldn't relocate myself to another country because of something like this.
Vancouver/Kelowna/Van Island have a really decent scene right now. ex) A Textbook Tragedy, Horizons, Living With Lions

Central Alberta is good, not great.

Same goes for Saskatchewan, Two bigger ones from here are Means and The Holly Springs Disaster.

Then Pretty Much a whole lot of nothing until you hit Ontario. Thats the place to be right now. Protest the Hero, These Silohuettes, Dead and Divine, Silverstein, and Cancer Bats i do believe, etc, etc, etc are all flowing out of there.

Montreal is also a meh one.

Thats about it for Canada
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Dunlop Wah
Dano EQ
Seriously, if you want a great music scene, move to southern NJ or the Philly area. There's still the emo/screamo crap floating around here like a turd in the toilet bowl (which, coincidentally, is what it happens to be anyway), but it's dying out around here. The metal bands around here have their sh*t together and are all top quality. Sure, a lot still scream, but it's not the overwhelming aspect to their vocals either.
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
Quote by by_guitar11
Vancouver/Kelowna/Van Island have a really decent scene right now. ex) A Textbook Tragedy, Horizons, Living With Lions

Central Alberta is good, not great.

Same goes for Saskatchewan, Two bigger ones from here are Means and The Holly Springs Disaster.

Then Pretty Much a whole lot of nothing until you hit Ontario. Thats the place to be right now. Protest the Hero, These Silohuettes, Dead and Divine, Silverstein, and Cancer Bats i do believe, etc, etc, etc are all flowing out of there.

Montreal is also a meh one.

Thats about it for Canada

I've seen Textbook Tragedy and Horizons play in Red Deer.

SCRAP, The Graceful Mutiny, and Ten Second Epic are all playing Hibernation in a few days, so thats going to be a good show. But lots of good bands here are breaking up, like New Art Night, You Are A Weapon, Means, Guttwrench, and Born For Battle. I can't remember if E-Town Beatdown is still together, but they're really good.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
The Boston area is also very strong right now. Perfect example:

Myspace.com/GraveyardBBQ
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
Quote by xEpidemicx
I've seen Textbook Tragedy and Horizons play in Red Deer.

SCRAP, The Graceful Mutiny, and Ten Second Epic are all playing Hibernation in a few days, so thats going to be a good show. But lots of good bands here are breaking up, like New Art Night, You Are A Weapon, Means, Guttwrench, and Born For Battle. I can't remember if E-Town Beatdown is still together, but they're really good.

Ya, BFB is pretty much done, members of it are playing in Horizons. Means is done.

As for The Graceful Mutiny, Right on man.

You heard Fall in Archaea yet? they are sick.

Textbook is easily my fav band right now. Intimidator has been in my car for a good 4 months.
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Dunlop Wah
Dano EQ
Quote by by_guitar11
Ya, BFB is pretty much done, members of it are playing in Horizons. Means is done.

As for The Graceful Mutiny, Right on man.

You heard Fall in Archaea yet? they are sick.

Textbook is easily my fav band right now. Intimidator has been in my car for a good 4 months.

Yeah, Fall in Archaea is good. I've never seen them live but I've seen their MySpace. The bassist in my band is a really big fan of Textbook. I'm really into SCRAP right now. I want to go to Mean's last show, but it's in Lethbridge. The Centeral Alberta scene has been picking up a bit lately, but I'm not sure how much longer it can go on for. There's my band but either than that I'm not sure what other talent is comming up.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
Thanks for the help guys...

It would be cool to see some of the old school Canadian metal around like Razor, Anvil, Annihilator, Sacrafice, Voivod and things like that as well.
To put it in context... I'm in Canada, about an hour away from Toronto. I love Canada and really can't imagine living anywhere else.

That said... if your goal is to 'make it' in music, then my advice is DON'T move to Canada. At least, if you mean selling tons of CDs and getting mega-play on MTV as 'making it.' Time, and time, and time again, Canadians have had to go (as in actually MOVE) to the US and make it there before being able to do something in any kind of a big way, like, say... buy a house. It sounds like I'm being glib, but there's a saying that a Canadian rock star is a guy who's too famous to ride the subway, but too broke to buy his own car. There's a lot of truth in that. I knew a guy who had a Juno award nomination, and a gold record on his wall.... and he was still living in mom's basement. Seriously. When you think about it, though, a gold record in Canada is 50 000 copies. At about $1 a copy earnings (based on a typical major label formula), that's.... $50 000. Nice. Unless you write as a band... and then it might be shared around and your part is now $10 000. That amounts to a full time job for one year.... at $5/hr. :eek If you didn't write... your earnings are just gigs and merch sales.

For every Brian Adams, Celine Dion, Nickelback, etc. there are dozens and dozens of St. Alvia Cartels, Cancer Bats, USS, and Alexisonfires. Those bands are all doing okay in Canada, but are virtually unknown an hour's drive past the border.

You want to make it in the industry? You have to be where the industry is. New York. LA. Pretty much, end story. Go there, and take your swing at the golden pinata with the thousands of other party-goers. At least you're in swinging distance. If you're not going to make it there living there, you sure as hell ain't gonna make it there *not* living there.

Now, if you insist on moving to Canada, your three major markets, probably in order, are Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal.

By Toronto, I mean Toronto area. Living in Toronto is about twice as expensive as living in Hamilton, but then again.... you won't meet all the real industry players in Hamilton. You might in Toronto. St. Alvia Cartel are from St. Catherines. (about an hour outside of Toronto.) Cancer Bats are Toronto, I believe. Big news out of Hamilton has been Threat Signal. Toronto is home to the Canadian affiliate offices of the major labels, along with Vancouver. Lots of other more established artists from all over the country now call Toronto home. (Barenaked Ladies, Triumph, Tom Cochrane, Tragically Hip, Rush, etc.)

Montreal's scene really exploded a couple of years ago with the likes of Arcade Fire. It kinda seems to have fizzled, though, I think.

Vancouver has always been a mainstay in Canadian music. It is to Toronto what LA is to New York. Lively scene with a west-coast flavour. Some of the big industry players are out in Vancouver, and they supply the world with a steady stream of artists. (historially, Brian Adams, 54-40, Sarah MacLaughlin, etc.) Vancouver is home (at least part of the time) to mega-producer Bob Rock, along with Canada's biggest artist manager, Bruce Allen. Network records is out there, which is probably one of the world's biggest indie labels.

Looking at huge bands from Canada, though....

The Tragically Hip moved from Kingston, Ontario to Toronto to make it.

Nickelback moved from some place in the BC interior, or from Alberta or something to Vancouver to make it.

Finger 11 moved from Burlington (next door to Hamilton) to Toronto to make it.

Only a few of many, many, many stories.

CT

PS. As far as corrupt governments go... Mr. Harper might be enjoying his last few days as Crew Captain. Apparently his bullying tactics weren't appreciated by the rest of the members of the house. Awesome. Take THAT, ya weasel! He even has the nerve to claim it is undemocratic for an alliance government to take power, but it is ironic, as this is a perfect example of democracy in action!
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Dec 2, 2008,
And btw, Means' last show was on friday. They're done for good man.
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Dunlop Wah
Dano EQ
Harper succeded in suspending parliment until January, so that'll be enough time to get confidence in the House. Besides, even if the colation did happen, it would fall apart after a bit. Like the NDP, Bloc, and Liberals would be able to get along together. At least we were able to suspend parliment instead of going into another election (where it would be a Conservative MAJORITY) or have the Governal General pick the colation.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
Quote by xEpidemicx
Harper succeded in suspending parliment until January, so that'll be enough time to get confidence in the House.

Harper is going to have to do a LOT of @ss kissing in the next while to have any hope in hell of avoiding a confidence vote at the end of January.

And now that he has successfully alienated virtually ALL of Quebec with his separatist comments, you can pretty much guarantee that there will be some questioning about his ability to lead the party, never mind the country, into the next election... whenever that may be.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
To put it in context... I'm in Canada, about an hour away from Toronto. I love Canada and really can't imagine living anywhere else.

That said... if your goal is to 'make it' in music, then my advice is DON'T move to Canada.

Yeah, because Chris can do without the extra competition.
All he has to do is restore faith in the House and there shouldn't be another election. Sure, it'll be hard, but they're conservatives, they can probably do it. But don't blame me, i support Rhinocerous.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
@Slack....

Quote by xEpidemicx
All he has to do is restore faith in the House

Should be easy after the comments and allegations he and his party made towards the other parties. Lessee...

Bloc Quebecois - Canada haters
Liberals - irresponsible, power hungry, treasonous, cowardly, etc.
NDP - irresponsible socialists

In light of the Conservatives wanting to take away the rights of unionized workers, wanting to paralyze the political parties so they will be ill-equipped come the next election campaigns, wanting to sell off federal assets, and his lassez-faire approach to economic turmoil.....

Hooray! Making friends and winning their confidence will be a cakewalk!!

He's gonna be done. Unless he comes out with a damned good budget, he won't have prorogue to hide behind at the end of January.

What personally scares me about Harper is his Freidman-ite approach to Capital Conservatism. Scale back government involvement, don't involve government in the goings on of Capitalist activity, privatize government services, etc., and you get the hard right Conservatism that has only failed, and crumbled at the hands of revolutions and civil wars around the world.

Recommended reading: Naomi Klein "The Shock Doctrine: The rise and fall of disaster capitalism"

CT

I doubt he'll be able to come up with a decent budget, in this economical crisis. At least not good enough to restore faith in the House. He's going to have to do that and something else. But if he gets kicked out, were going to have to have another election, which'll be an interesting race, because there won't be any real reason to vote for any party. That's what I like about having the Green Party. You can vote for them and they probably wont win but that way you can say that you voted to try and change the system.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
I agree with most of that. I generally vote NDP, but I'm also one of those rarities who votes for the person, not the party. I've voted Liberal in the past, depending on who is running in my riding.

One thing I disagree with, though, is that if Harper gets booted out, we won't need to have another election. The Governor General could appoint the Leader of the Opposition to assume the role of PM. With the coalition agreement in place with Duceppe and Layton willing to support Dion, it would pretty much be a done deal.

CT

Quote by Pizza The Hut
I wasn't sure exactly where to post this but I hope this falls close, oh well.. So I'm thinking of moving to Canada and trying to make it in a band somehow, because the U.S. music scene sucks right now. I would have to leave my job and so forth to do it, and I am really set on having a career in a band. What are the best cities to consider for good/great music scenes in Canada? Would it be easier to "make it" up there? There is no way in hell I'm playing in emo bands in America. How easy would it be to go up there and find work in a band? Just curious because I really have no future here and am heavily considering going up there.

Don't come to Canada, we're loaded with emo music as well. Seriously, I've been trying to start a band up here and finding musician's who play metal that isn't metalcore, numetal is so hard. Don't even get me started on trying to find people who play stuff like Rush, Yes and King Crimson, I haven't found a single one yet.

Not to mention it's harder to make it big up here because of the small population.
Last edited by Sylvanus at Dec 5, 2008,
Quote by Sylvanus
Don't even get me started on trying to find people who play stuff like Rush, Yes and King Crimson, I haven't found a single one yet.

Maybe I shouldn't say this, then, but our guitar player used to play in a Rush tribute band, and our bass player and drummer are both Rush fanatics.

...and we play commercial hard rock...

CT

Yes, the Governer General can choose a leader of the opposition in a vote of non confidence, but I'm pretty sure most people have less confidence in Stephon Dion than Harper lol
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap