Ok, so I've been hearing a lot about attenuators. What are they exactly? From what I've read they're used to quiet down a tube amp so you can get natural drive sounds at low volumes.

I looked on MF and they had those Hot Plate ones, but they were only for vaccum tube amps. The amp I'm wanting to get is push-pull. Do they make attenuators for push-pull, or would massive customization/a different amp have to be bought?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Not sure how an attenuator would work on a push pull. Attenuators are for people who have a higher watt amp, but want to crank the tubes to get maximum overdrive, yet stay at a lower volume level. It hooks between your head and cab and soaks up most of the power before it reaches your speaker. So you still get full tone, but low volume.
What the hell is push pull?

Anyway, it works on any amp in theory. It goes between the power amp output and the speaker cone, where it is a dummy load, absorbing some the signal strength without changing it fundamentally. Meaning its quieter, but the same tone. The only thing you lose by doing this is any compression/breakup etc provided by the speaker itself running at loud volumes. However, it makes no sense on a SS amp, because tone is not a function of volume as with valve amplifiers.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Push pull and tube amps don't have anything to do with each other. An amp can be either or both.
Attenuators are used for tube amps because SS amps don't usually need them since overdriving their power sections doesn't sound good.

What amp is it? If it's advertised as push-pull it's probably tube.
it allows you crank a tube amp to full volume to get that overdriven sound without the volume. I don't paticularly care for them but to each his own
Ok, to answer questions, I know what the difference in valve and SS amps. I don't want this for SS, I want it for tube.

The amp is the Blackheart Handsome Devil. It is a 15 watt tube amp. I want a good tube practice amp to play in my bedroom but even a 5 watt with no EQ is going to be way too loud. I've seen talk about the difference in vaccum and push-pull tubes before in GB&C, but I have no idea what it meant. Also, the Hot Plate's ad says it is designed for vaccum-type tube amplifiers. The Handsome Devil is a push-pull type tube amp. I don't know what the difference is, but typically you don't use gear on something it wasn't intended to be used on.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I'm pretty sure push-pull is actually a way that tube amps work when applying even numbered sets of power tubes.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Natrone
Ok, to answer questions, I know what the difference in valve and SS amps. I don't want this for SS, I want it for tube.

The amp is the Blackheart Handsome Devil. It is a 15 watt tube amp. I want a good tube practice amp to play in my bedroom but even a 5 watt with no EQ is going to be way too loud. I've seen talk about the difference in vaccum and push-pull tubes before in GB&C, but I have no idea what it meant. Also, the Hot Plate's ad says it is designed for vaccum-type tube amplifiers. The Handsome Devil is a push-pull type tube amp. I don't know what the difference is, but typically you don't use gear on something it wasn't intended to be used on.

Push pull is only referring to the type of output. If you want a detailed explanation of what it is and the difference between it and single ended amps, hit up google. Vacuum tube is just a fancy way of saying tube or valve. So basically a push-pull amp is a vacuum tube amp... hope that clears things up for you. The Hot Plate will work perfectly fine with your amp and any other amp provided the ohms match up and it can handle the wattage which in your case isn't an issue.
^Wow, thanks! You have no idea how incredibly helpful that was to me! Ok, so now I just need to find a used Hot Plate and let the family know that I want the Handsome Devil. Thanks for helping out someone who knows nothing about tube amps everyone!
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray