ok ive just started playing guitar, been playing bass for years but ive just now decided to pick up the 6 string and ive gotta question.

on ug they have a G chord as:

E3
A2
D0
G0
B0
e3

but other sites have

E3
A2
D0
G0
B3
e3

so which is right or are they both right and it doesnt really matter
Quote by dmiwshicldply
ok ive just started playing guitar, been playing bass for years but ive just now decided to pick up the 6 string and ive gotta question.

on ug they have a G chord as:

E3
A2
D0
G0
B0
e3

but other sites have

E3
A2
D0
G0
B3
e3

so which is right or are they both right and it doesnt really matter

They are both correct. I personally think the second one you mentioned sounds better, but hey, it's all up to your own ear. You can also do it like this too.

E3
A5
D5
G4
B3
e3
For future reference, those are all upside down. The order of the strings should be written as:

e
B
G
D
A
E
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
If / when you start to look into music theory, you'll find that to make a chord, all you need is the 1-3-5. So to make a G chord, you need G-B-D.

Anywhere on the neck, in any combination, G, B, and D.

Your first example has G, B, D, G, B, G from low to high, and the second has G, B, D, G, D, G from low to high. Since both have the three notes they need, they're both G.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
the one with the e and b strings fretted on #3 is often referred to as open G type 2. Many people prefer it, myself included. I think it has a slightly more full sound...and its easier to fret.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
^^G-B-D is only a triad though isn't it? I think you have to add the octave G to make it a chord. ie G-B-D-G.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by handlerb
the one with the e and b strings fretted on #3 is often referred to as open G type 2. Many people prefer it, myself included. I think it has a slightly more full sound...and its easier to fret.

Yes, but doing it the other way gives a different sound. Also, it allows you to do other things with your pinky finger.
Quote by Deep*Kick
^^G-B-D is only a triad though isn't it? I think you have to add the octave G to make it a chord. ie G-B-D-G.

A triad is a type of chord.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light