I'm deciding between the big muff US reissue:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-USA-Big-Muff-Pi-DistortionSustainer-Pedal?sku=153314

and the big muff Russian reissue:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-Big-Muff-Pi-DistortionSustainer-Pedal?sku=153300

From what I've read around the net, people are saying the russian ones were better, but the reviews on musiciansfriend say the US one is better

So which one would you guys recommend?

I'm trying to get a thick black keys kind of fuzz tone, such as the one in this video:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mBPGm4Fbo0Q

rig is in my sig

thanks!
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
Little Big Muff imo
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
I don't think the big muff will give you the tone you want. Muffs are very smooth distortions which happen to be slightly fuzzy. Their naturally lower treble levels give feeling of a deep fuzz, but when you crank it, you'll find its no substitute for the real thing (real fuzz pedals have a subtle octave up tone which makes them sound so cool, the muff does not). The black keys use multiple dedicated fuzz pedals to get their tone. I think you should do some more research before committing to a pedal that might not be what you want!

Good luck
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Quote by handlerb
I don't think the big muff will give you the tone you want. Muffs are very smooth distortions which happen to be slightly fuzzy. Their naturally lower treble levels give feeling of a deep fuzz, but when you crank it, you'll find its no substitute for the real thing (real fuzz pedals have a subtle octave up tone which makes them sound so cool, the muff does not). The black keys use multiple dedicated fuzz pedals to get their tone. I think you should do some more research before committing to a pedal that might not be what you want!

Good luck

well yeah I'm gonna try it out in store first but yeah...

and I'm learning a few black keys songs and noticed that even when I hit some of the same power chords, dan auerbach's guitar still sounds like is is a TINY BIT higher! i guess that's the whole fuzz one octave up thing haha
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
Also - take a look at Mid-fi electronics Psych Byke and Peace Gun fuzz.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ