Hey, my metal muff is broken. When I plug in a power adapter then it makes a loud humming noise through the amp.

And if I just use a 9v battery, then it loses a lot of input signal going to the amp, and that's with a new battery.

Anyone know what the culprit could be, for the loss of signal with a battery, and the loud hum from using a power adapter? The pedal worked the first few months I had it, then it randomly failed like this, thx.
I'll be totally honest with you I know nothing about these pedals.

Have you opened it and had a look inside to see if you could see anything suspicious?
Have you tried different amp/guitar?
there may possibly be your problem.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
If you could post a pic that would help greatly. Green solder doesn't sound good. Was there any condensation in the pedal?

If you plug the battery in leaving it open and wiggle the battery wire thats dodgy does it affect the noise?
Are you using the correct adaptor? Because when I plug in my 9V Digitech adapter, it makes this exact noise you described. I'm fairly certain you need the EHX adaptor, as it is actually 9.6V and all other adaptors are 9V. The EHX adaptor is this; US96DC-200BI. I'm going to order one in soon. Hopefully it solves the noise problem and I won't have to buy batteries all the time.
have you played your guitar without the pedal, just straight guitar and amp? If it still makes a buzzing noise it could be your cable. If not, definetly fix up that solder joint...
I checked everything, I've played through different cables, different amps, different guitars, different power supplies. But the same thing happens everytime, using a power supply produces a large hummm, and using a battery produces a super low output signal.

I'll put up a couple pics, but you really can't see much from them.

Oh and nvm about the green stuff, i'm pretty sure it's just flux.
Last edited by yoyodunno at Dec 4, 2008,
Ok, so, I just checked the adaptor needed for the Metal Muff, it needs to be a 9.6v/DC 200ma adaptor. My best guess is you are using the wrong adaptors, check the details on each one to see if it matches what the Muff uses. I have 5 adaptors in my house, and not one is 200ma. Seems that the people at EHX have made it so you have to get theirs.
Last edited by michael_1391 at Dec 5, 2008,
Im having the same problem basicaly with my muff, theres no signal unless vol and dist are all the way up, and then its is basicaly feedback, except when you hit a string you can hear it, and it is very lightly distorted then. its not the adapter tho bc I tried it with a battery and had the same problem...
Quote by michael_1391
Ok, so, I just checked the adaptor needed for the Metal Muff, it needs to be a 9.6v/DC 200ma adaptor. My best guess is you are using the wrong adaptors, check the details on each one to see if it matches what the Muff uses. I have 5 adaptors in my house, and not one is 200ma. Seems that the people at EHX have made it so you have to get theirs.

I used a multi-meter to read the power adaptor I was using, and guess what it read 18v instead of the 9v it was supposed to be.

Now either the metal muff screwed the adaptor, or the other way around.

Quote by nutcase1028
Im having the same problem basicaly with my muff, theres no signal unless vol and dist are all the way up, and then its is basicaly feedback, except when you hit a string you can hear it, and it is very lightly distorted then. its not the adapter tho bc I tried it with a battery and had the same problem...

Hey dude, I emailed EHX, they said it's a flat rate of 25 bux to fix it. So that's what I'm gonna do.
Quote by nutcase1028

That happens when your battery is running low, sounds like there's problems with your voltage getting in

TS: Sounds like your adapter is the wrong polarity or voltage hope this doesnt happen to my metal muff, mines working fine. Though, i dont use an adapter. I just use a rechargable 9v battery.
yoyodunno, read this very carefully.
You need a 9.6v DC 200ma adaptor.
That is the bottom line of this. If your adaptor is any different to what I have stated, that is your problem. You can pay money to get it 'fixed', but you are wasting money. Just get the right adaptor and no more noise.
I'll repeat;

9.6v DC 200ma
Quote by michael_1391
yoyodunno, read this very carefully.
You need a 9.6v DC 200ma adaptor.
That is the bottom line of this. If your adaptor is any different to what I have stated, that is your problem. You can pay money to get it 'fixed', but you are wasting money. Just get the right adaptor and no more noise.
I'll repeat;

9.6v DC 200ma

It doesn't have to be exactly 200ma, it just has to be above 200ma. All my other pedals, I make sure that the power supply is over what "ma" they need, and there are no problems with them.

Also I took out the circuit board and measured the resistance between any battery termninals, including where the power adapter goes. And I'm fairly sure the problem is with the power adaptor input, when there is no power adapter it sucks voltage from a regular battery. That's probably why it gives a super low output signal when just using a 9v battery.
Last edited by yoyodunno at Dec 6, 2008,
Over 200ma you say? Well I tried that, I even tried up to 2A and I still got the noise. I have tried over, and under. I don't have one that is 200ma though. All 9v adaptors too.
You seem like you know what you are doing, pulling it out and testing it all. But it clearly states that it requires a 9.6v DC 200ma adaptor for optimal use. So I imagine if you use anything different it won't work as well or produce a noise.
Yes, mine works fine with a battery. A 9v battery only puts out 100ma though, so I'm not getting full power. But if you go to the website and read the paper that came with the pedal, it explains it all on the paper. I'll give you the link for it;
http://www.ehx.com/products/metal-muff/instructions
All the power details are under Operations and Warnings. About half way down the page.
I don't have the proper adaptor, but with mine, if I use different adaptors, some make less or more noise depending on the ma. So, I'm pretty sure it has to be 200ma.
Quote by Dark_Merlin
That happens when your battery is running low, sounds like there's problems with your voltage getting in

TS: Sounds like your adapter is the wrong polarity or voltage hope this doesnt happen to my metal muff, mines working fine. Though, i dont use an adapter. I just use a rechargable 9v battery.

I tried with a new battery to...
I think this has happened to a lot of people with metal muffs. I've heard of people saying how their metal muff will just randomly stop working out of the blue like happened to mine.
Mine works perfectly fine with a battery in it and no adaptor. But when I put a adaptor in, which I stress IS NOT THE CORRECT ADAPTOR that they tell you to use, it makes a loud noise. After about 3 seconds of no brain activity and no thinking, I deduced that the problem was that I was using the wrong adaptor.
So, in conclusion, get the adaptor they tell you to use and your problems will be solved. Unless of course it makes a noise with just the battery in. Then send it back to EHX.

/Thread
Quote by yoyodunno
Yeah, it doesn't work with a battery in it either, i'm pretty sure the power input is sucking voltage from the circuit.

Well if yours isn't working properly with just the battery in, then you have a real problem. Just send it back and they should fix it. Should be under warranty.
for those of you who have not sent it back: Try adding a second pedal to your circut. I have a similar issue to your guys problem and this fixed my issue. Maybe it will work for you too.