Hey ug, well its time for me to move up in the amp world a bit, i currently have a spider 3 75 which ive had for a year and a half. I am planning on playing some gigs maybe in the next year or two but i also need something that will be good for recording. I know spiders get a lot of hate but it has been damn good to me and i have the fbv pedal already so i was thinking of maybe a spider 120 or 150 just because i dont have the budget to buy pedals and such, i know they lack tone hardcore but theyre cheap and its done me good for recording (i run straight to a boss br-600). I ran across an ibanez tone blaster 150 combo as well and it looked pretty solid as did the half stack.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-TBX150R-Tone-Blaster-Xtreme-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=480945

But anyway, im not very expirienced in the amp world, my budget is about $600 and i wouldnt mind a halfstack or combo, i want at least a 120 to put up with constant distortion. Of course ill be buying from musicians friend so any links to it would be awesome!!!
well...what kind of music, what sized gigs?
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Quote by mindup
i want at least a 120 to put up with constant distortion.

Trust me, you don't need that many watts.

Do you have to buy new? Go used and you open up A LOT of options.

New, check out the Randall RG50TC, B-52 AT-212 or 112 or the Bugera 6260 series and 333 series
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I agree, you'll never need 120 watts. If you want to distort that amp, you'll blow down walls in your house. Look for a used tube amp around 50 watts. I'll say again....TUBE. You'll be happier in the long run. Or ignore me, and in a year wish you'd saved your cash for a rectifier on ebay. haha.
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
Quote by mindup
Well i have gift cards for musicians friend so im stuck buyin new

Never mind then. Perhaps ride out your current amp as long as possible, and save for something good. Sorry if this sounds rude, but perhaps you like the spider because you haven't had the chance to play on a decent amp much?
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
Quote by handlerb
Never mind then. Perhaps ride out your current amp as long as possible, and save for something good. Sorry if this sounds rude, but perhaps you like the spider because you haven't had the chance to play on a decent amp much?

This is probably true, i really have no place nearby to try out amps, im in the middle of nebraska, the only shop here has Line 6, Fender, and i believe thats all for amps
Quote by MatrixClaw
Trust me, you don't need that many watts.

Do you have to buy new? Go used and you open up A LOT of options.

New, check out the Randall RG50TC, B-52 AT-212 or 112 or the Bugera 6260 series and 333 series

+1

Those are the most popular metal amps in the price range
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
you know line 6 does make tube amps right?

people with unbiased opinions generally agree that they are not digital peices of !@#$

and if you think you need a high wattage amp, i'll remind you that tube amps are louder then an equivalent wattage solid state amp by quite abit (a 75 watt tube is much louder then a 75 watt solid state)

i'd say: sell your current amp for whatever you can get + your 600 dollars = http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-Valve-112-40W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483066

if youre already used to a line 6 (i.e. the gain and eq settings), and you feel youve got a good settings*, it makes sense to just get the non-digital tube version. well it does to me anyways.

*obviously this means discounting the digital quality of it.
^ True, I always forget about the Spider Valves. I played one last Friday at Guitar Center again and thought that it was one of the better sounding amps of the ones I tried, (Diezel Einstein, Peavey 6505 and 6505+, VHT 50/CL, Soldano Avenger, Peavey JSX, Mesa Maverick, Hiwatt HG100) though its distortion was a bit fizzy for me, but I'm sure it could be dialed out if I tried.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Dec 2, 2008,
Quote by mindup
This is probably true, i really have no place nearby to try out amps, im in the middle of nebraska, the only shop here has Line 6, Fender, and i believe thats all for amps

Where exactly are you in Nebraska? If you could make it out to Lincoln for a day, there's a Guitar Center there that would definitely have a lot more variety in their supply than just Line 6 and Fender. I know it may not be feasible, especially if you can't drive, but it would be worth it even if you ended up buying from your local shop.
On the upside, your in the middle of Nebraska, so cranking your amp shouldn't be an issue once you get it. The spider valves are decent amps, but I agree a road trip would get you around some more options. MatrixClaw listed some ideal amps for what you want to play. Call them in advance to see what they have so you don't waste the trip.