Why don't we put together an FAQ for Acoustic & Classical? Every time I come onto the thread there are the same questions about the same thing over and over again with the same answers.

If it isn't an FAQ, we should at least make a basic knowledge sticky. You know, a thread with information on what to look for, what to aviod, and basic general acoustic knowledge. Anyone else agree?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Sounds like a good idea - certainly would help me from time to time.
Still. I always think its crap of newbies like us to make suggestions like this. We're 08'ers you see.
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
It's an acoustic, slow it down, get some lemonade, go to the beach, play "i'm yours" by jason mraz, get women...
Yeah, there's always been a FAQ, but not that many people seem to see it, lol.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I've seen it before, and i've used it on more than one occasion. But i think the TS wants something more....because he's an ingrate

~edit~ just kidding btw.
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
It's an acoustic, slow it down, get some lemonade, go to the beach, play "i'm yours" by jason mraz, get women...
Lol how did you know my deepest secret?

Anyway, I say this because if there is a stickied FAQ/General Knowledge thread at the top of the page it will be used. Believe it or not, there aren't very many people who will go to the searchbar and look through to find what they are looking for. (Guilty )

And yes, I do want something more. Something organized. Like the "Which Songs" thread. Set into categories like "what to look for in an acoustic" "A/E vs. pure acoustic" "which brand?" and so on and so forth. Also I like GG&A's "Who to listen to" sticky. It gives you a sense of knowing that the person giving you advice is very knowledgable. I would definately nominate LeftyDave, jimtaka, and captivate for that.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
That's actually not a bad idea. If we were to do that, we would need a few people to write each article. Then we get some regulars around the acoustic forum to do some peer reviewing as well. It would be a bit of work, but if we can get enough people then it would be quite easy to do.

Anyone have any other topics they'd like?

Topics I can think of so far are...
- What to look for in an acoustic guitar(something like a buyer's guide)
- Pure Acoustic or Electroacoustic
- Aftermarket or On Board Electronics
- Tone Difference: Cutaway vs. Non-cutaway
- Which Brands?

How's this idea looking everyone? Yay? Nay? Anyone up for writing an article or two?
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
How's this idea looking everyone? Yay? Nay? Anyone up for writing an article or two?

Looks like a nice idea to me. I'll be happy to add some information if needed. Send me a message if you need any help.

My suggestions on topics:

-Comparisons between steel string and classical
-The low-down on different types of wood and applications
-General advice for new guitarists
-Maybe analyses of the more common guitar models for perspective buyers?
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Dec 3, 2008,
I can see my dream coming to fruition!

Ok, if we have "What to look For", shouldn't we also have "What to Avoid"?

For example, Ibanez, Dean, Martins with HPL, and Taylors below the 300 series should be avoided like the plague. Stuff like that.

By the way Cap, that is exactly the kind of stuff I'm talking about.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Topics so far...
- What to look for in an acoustic guitar(something like a buyer's guide)

- Pure Acoustic or Electroacoustic

- Aftermarket or On Board Electronics

- Tone Difference: Cutaway vs. Non-cutaway

- Which Brands?

- Comparisons Between Steel String and Classical

- A Low-down on Different Woods and Their Applications(GC, do you mean just a low-down on the tonewoods? because that one's covered in the FAQ we already have, if im not mistaken. wouldn't want to overlap too much.)

- General Advice for New Acoustic Guitarists(barre chords, callouses, and such things would probably go in here)

- Maybe an analysis of the more common guitar models for perspective buyers?(umm... clarification on this one? GC?)

- What Guitars to Avoid(this one needs to be written with special care as to not bias it. For example, the Taylors under 300 series aren't actually bad guitars. They're pretty good guitar, tbh. They're just really bad value. And even this comment I made right here is biased. :p
Equipment:

Lol I agree that we need to be careful in biasing. I just don't want to see all of these threads like OMGZ LuK aT t3h IbaN3z 1m guNNA g1t!!!!!!11!!!!12!!!!!WHOO!!!!!!!

And the Taylors aren't BAD, they are just overpriced for the woods it is made out of. Just like the Martins.

The woods topic is general knowledge on tonewoods.

I think by analysis of the models he means body styles. Pros and Cons, what they're best for.

And tbh, the current FAQ is full of great information. The problem is that the thread has to be searched for and is rather unorganized.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
So, would it be set up as a read only FAQ, or a post in thread? It's going to change the size and searchability of the thing drastically one way, and not the other. But if read only, then that's it, no one can ask questions about specifics in it, which is ok I guess, since this is the reason for the msg. board to begin with.
Not to be too overly cynical here, but you all realize that there's still going to be those individuals who won't use the stickies or searchbar and just post their questions in the main forum area. Try as we might, there's no getting around that part. So how to make it more appealing to everyone, so that everyone get's the most benefit from it? And make it high enough profile that it stands apart from the routine stuff?
BTW, I'm onboard with this too(as if you hadn't noticed, lol).
LD
@Dave - I think we're going to do it as a post like the "What Songs" thread. That format makes it very easy to navigate and find each article. It'll most likely be closed off, but I guess we'll see what everyone thinks about that as we get closer to doing it.

As for people not using stickies and search bars... it's inevitable that it'll always happen, but I think this would be a good opportunity for the acoustic community to get involved.
Equipment:

Maybe a section on strings as well? String gauge, brands, types(phospher bronze or bronze). How they affect tone and playability.
Quote by captivate
- A Low-down on Different Woods and Their Applications(GC, do you mean just a low-down on the tonewoods? because that one's covered in the FAQ we already have, if im not mistaken. wouldn't want to overlap too much.)

I figured it should be added to this all encompassing FAQ's page instead of being a separate sticky, for the sake of consolidating.
Quote by captivate

- Maybe an analysis of the more common guitar models for perspective buyers?(umm... clarification on this one? GC?)

I suppose I was getting at the idea of a collection of reviews/summaries for people looking for new acoustic guitars. I know I've probably played 30 different models that are popular with beginners and I figured a decent number of the readers in the acoustic forum have done the same.

It might be nice to give a heads-up on what particular guitar models sound and play like. I would guess a fair number of members might want advice on what guitars will suit their tastes (before they approach a wall of 50 different Martins at Guitar Center).
For example, a summary might look like this.

The Fictional Martin D-123456

Cost- $11,000,126.84
Body Type-...
Back-...
Sides-...
Suitable for bluegrass, bhangra music, techno, and more
Tone Qualitites-...
Other things about the guitar...
etc..

It would be quite a labor to put something like that together, but I figure if 20 readers could contribute two or three guitars that they're familiar with, UG could compile a solid list for new guitarists.

Or maybe I'm too optimistic... Just brainstorming.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Dec 4, 2008,
^I like it.

By the way, I wouldn't put it past Martin to make a guitar like that

@ avenger: I like the strings section idea. There are about a million different options for strings and it can get very confusing, especially for guitarists who are new to acoustic. I don't think we can really do recommendations though, because string preference is just that, preference. For instance, I hear a lot of people say Martin strings are the best, but I prefer just plain ol' D'Addario Phosphor Bronze strings. I don't like Elixir strings because I think they are overpriced and don't sound very good, but other people love them because of the durability and they are willing to sacrifice a little tone for it.

Guys, this is great! Keep the ideas coming!
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
This is actually something that Dreadnought and I began work on before he left for the Army. I haven't had time to do anything with it (or anything else outside of work and school) lately though. I definitely think it needs to be done.

Jon and I had originally planned to organize it just like how I organized the What Songs Thread.
Where did Jon go anyway? I haven't seen him around even though he's back.
Equipment:

I think we need to nominate users to work on the FAQ. That way we don't have people who don't know what they're talking about working on something important.

My nominations: captivate, jimtaka, and LeftyDave
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Sorry I haven't been around as much as I would like lately guys. Airborne school is taking up most of my time and I don't have wifi in the barracks. I do however have a 2 week break from december 20th to January 4th. If anyone wants me to contribute, I can try, but keep in mind I've probably lost what little guitar skill and knowledge I had
My God, it's full of stars!
Hey, from what I've seen you know plenty about Acoustic. I say you're in if you want to be.

Ok guys, so let's get this figured out. WHO'S IN?
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I think Dread and GC should be included in this. anita_prs_bad? about? Marcel_Veltman? There's a few others who I think are quite knowledgeable, but aren't around as often anymore.

I think we'll get started on these articles before christmas, but I doubt that we'll get it finished until after new years.
Equipment:

Yeah lol. I'll try to contribute what I can, but I really only know as much as I've learned from either you, jimtaka, or LeftyDave.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
It's ok. The majority of what I've learned is from jim, dave, and chad(he hasn't been on the board for a long time). Everything else that I've learned is just from reading articles out of my own interest.
Equipment: