I'm looking for a guitar to back up my Schecter Tempest Extreme. I play all forms of alternative and punk rock, but my Schecter will be used mostly for the grunge/punk duties and cleaner stuff as it has a low output neck humbucker (DiMarzio Humbucker From Hell) so this axe will be doing mostly noise rock and shoegaze-y stuff. Think My Bloody Valentine, Jesus and Mary Chain primarily, although I have my own style. However, it also has to be able to do the more abrasive grungey stuff if needed (in case the Schecter goes to hell on me) and have good cleans, and durability is an absolute must cause I'm gonna keep it and gig with it for a few years.
Oh, and my budget probably maxes out at $550-$600AUD, but I'd like to keep it below $500.

So, where should I be looking? I tried an Epiphone Wilshire, and while it felt good I'm a bit scared a hollowbody may not be suited to my styles. The Squier Jagmasters I've tried before have been meh, and I'm not too keen on low end Epi Les Pauls-SG's etc. I was considering a Yamaha Pacifica, but I haven't played one and can't find one in my area.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I recommend the Fender "Classic Player" Jag & JM models, with a nice pickup swap. They've been out there awhile now so you might be able to get one used and put in some Seymour Duncans, or if you get an HH Jag you can swap in whatever the **** you want. So you get the tone-shaping options, the floating trem if you're into the Kevin Shields chordal bends, and the "honestly, who doesn't want a Jag/JM" factor in addition to whatever sound you drop in with the pickups, and I bet you could do it for $600. Of course that's American, and I have no idea what the Australian dollar's like
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
Finding a Jag or Jazzmaster under a grand here is good luck. Finding one under 800 is impossible.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
bump? sorry.
Quote by Cathbard
sheraton.

i've got a dot, the only thing bad about it is the neck....too fat. i dig the tone though.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by drewsta42
Since when is an Epiphone Wilshire hollowbody, by the way?

Wait, my bad. I got the Dot Studio and the Wilshire mixed up.
Quote by Cathbard