I was thinking of purchasing one, i played on one in a guitar shop and it sounded awesome! And it has a good price tag for a Gibson. But i was wondering what was the differences between the studio and standard?
The have different pickups, the standard has binding on it and the studio has a rounded neck while the standard has an asymmetrical neck that is more tear drop shaped....
Quote by dm1925
texas ftw!
we're saving the world, one zombie at a time

Quote by ThePastRecedes
Yo Bob Dylan, I'm really happy for you an I'm gonna let you finish, but Jimi Hendrix had one of the best versions of All Along the Watchtower of all time!
One of the differences is the design, overall look.
Much more minimalistic in terms of trim and style etc... got the more modern look.

Some people will disagree but I personally like that and was one of the reasons why I got one.
Gibson Les Paul Studio // BKP Nailbombs
Dean Performer Key Largo

Marshall JVM215C
Fulltone Octafuzz
Dunlop ZW-Wah
Yes
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
At less than 1/3 the price of a standard, workmanship is often sacrificed. I'm sure if you were able to sample a few however, you'd find a really nice one. Personally, I prefer the standards extra appointments (inlays, bindings, nicer finishes, friendlier neck profile and most likely higher end pickups from Gibson.)
Moving on.....
Studio has 490R/498T pickups versus the Standard's Burstbucker Pro's.

And yeah definitely play a few if you're interested in one, I think I ended up playing about 5 in total and found one i was totally happy with. First time i experienced the difference in tone between the "same" guitar.

I wouldn't say workmanship is sacrificed though. A lot of people see the Studio as a 'cheap' les paul or whatever and cost-wise yeah it is. Both are handmade by Gibson USA though and are subject to the same workmen and quality control.

You can argue that the electronics are better on the Standard but that's all preference. The Studio is a different guitar, designed to be a different animal than the Standard.
Trying to stick up for it a bit as I have one lol but yeah, don't want people to be so naive as to hold it directly against the Standard. It's its own guitar. (Not directed at anyone here, just I know a couple of guys who have that idea).

Deffinately play a few though, with your amp if possible and you will eventually find a gem.
Dean Performer Key Largo

Marshall JVM215C
Fulltone Octafuzz
Dunlop ZW-Wah
gibson standards are better, theres no question, but studios arent bad guitars at all, in fact they are great for their price range, i would say go for an SG standard but they raised the price on SGs way too much imo so id get the studio
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/lespaulguide
This is a link that explains some of the differences in the variety of Les Pauls available.

Personally I've got a Les Paul Studio. I love it. Some people don't like the thicker neck. I've heard some metal heads say that they don't like it because shredding is more difficult than a Jackson or Ibanez. Definitely try a few out before deciding.
Quote by DrewLee865
I reccommend a Hondo Duce Custom crafted 69 studio edition with drift wood fret board.

bugger off
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by JEEtoP
Both are handmade by Gibson USA though and are subject to the same workmen and quality control.
1) no, they're not handmade. They're made on a production line like any other Epi, Ibanez, ESP, whatever else. They're hand assembled as it is was a human that took the machine-made neck and body and glued them together, and they're hand finished as in the final layer of clear coat is rubbed down by hand, but that's it. Everything else is machine-made.
2) Saying they're subject to the same quality control isn't saying much. Gibson's Quality Control is shot right now.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by steven seagull
bugger off

personally if i were to get a low priced gibson id be quite happy with a faded SG.

another alternative to the studio LP though is the BFG, which i played and is allright but i think its definitely a love it or hate it guitar.

and correct me if im wrong but the BFG does NOT have a truss rod?
Low priced Gibsons like the les paul studio are never going to be a True Gibson , and for the same money you can find better on the market !
But guitars are very subjective, and if you like something then buy it, I think sometimes you have to look at decisions in a simpler light. Do not over think ! afterall it's only 1 instrument, if you do not like it, sell and invest in something different.

If people play for maybe 1-5 years plus, generally speaking that guitarist has owned maybe 3 or more guitars and learnt which they like from their own meandering experience. And not that has been deducted from opinions on the net.
Quote by MrFlibble
1) no, they're not handmade. They're made on a production line like any other Epi, Ibanez, ESP, whatever else. They're hand assembled as it is was a human that took the machine-made neck and body and glued them together, and they're hand finished as in the final layer of clear coat is rubbed down by hand, but that's it. Everything else is machine-made.
2) Saying they're subject to the same quality control isn't saying much. Gibson's Quality Control is shot right now.

Yeah sorry hand-assembled is what I meant, was in rant mode didn't proof-read it properly.

And yeah lol anyones quality control is usually crap these days but fortunately I havn't fallen foul to that so far.
Dean Performer Key Largo

Marshall JVM215C
Fulltone Octafuzz
Dunlop ZW-Wah
if you can come up with the extra cash, definitly go for the standard.
big difference in feel