Page 1 of 2
The first one that springs to mind is The Battle of Los Angeles by Rage Against the Machine.

While their first one had very strong dynamics, leaping from quiet verses, to aggressive, loud power-chords in the choruses - you could feel and hear the difference in volume, the second one is a different story. There is a different sound on it, admittedly, but it also has a tamer feel, which ruins it for me.

What about you guys? I suppose Metallica might feature heavily, knowing this place

Also - when you can't hear the bass properly, it's a mastering/production issue, right? For example, on a few Velvet Revolver songs, it's hard to separate the bass and the guitar, which is a shame, because Duff kicks ass. It could just be that my ear isn't trained enough to separate the two when they play the same thing.
Iggy & the Stooges - Raw Power
I know its supposed to be a raw and punk feel, but jesus, it sounds like it was recorded in a convenience store bathroom.
Rush- Vapor Trails, their actually was a kind of recall on the ablum. It is so bad they recorded it way to loud, it actually breaks up at on point it gets so loud.
Quote by Survivalism
The Dual Rectifier is my sexy finishing move.

Quote by Survivalism
Nobody knows the words to Evenflow, they all just go "bramamamamamamamamaamamamabooowwllofcornflakes"
Quote by gabcd86

Also - when you can't hear the bass properly, it's a mastering/production issue, right? For example, on a few Velvet Revolver songs, it's hard to separate the bass and the guitar, which is a shame, because Duff kicks ass. It could just be that my ear isn't trained enough to separate the two when they play the same thing.

You're not listening right. What you have to do is stand right in front of the speakers, and turn the volume up to 11 Then you'll feel the bass lines, and truly appreciate how kick ass they are.

Oh, and Metallica. Yeah...
Quote by gabcd86

These threads have been done countless times before.
But yeah I totally agree with the Velvet Revolver stuff.
More so on Contraband, the album is badly mastered; lots of clipping and sounds like **** on headphones.

Both Contraband and Libertad sound ****ing incredible when played really loud through awesome speakers, but just for comfortable listening these albums are really badly mastered.
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Quote by coryklok
Metallica- Death Magnetic

/thread

What he said.
Californication and all RHCP albums after it.

That band with the dude and the thingy and the Napster and the bad drum fills, as Bill Cosby might put it, yeah.

System of a Down's Mezmerize/Hypnotize is pretty bad too.

Any Linkin Park album, for that matter.

Franz Ferdinand's You Could Have It So Much Better kind of bugs me, even though it's not that bad- mostly because the first one's mastering was really really good.
The Blood Ceremony album sounds pretty poor. Like in some songs, when the flute comes in, you can hear all the other instruments getting quiter, it's that compressed.

Quote by ThunderPX
Franz Ferdinand's You Could Have It So Much Better kind of bugs me, even though it's not that bad- mostly because the first one's mastering was really really good.

i agree, the first one has an amazing sound, even if the songs aren't particularly good.
anything by black sabbath, too quiet, lack of bass (not the instrument, the frequencies), and the drums sound dead, and ozzy
Death Magnetic, St Anger, Shogun and the new Cryptopsy
ohai little sig.
This:

/End thread for shure.
Just listen to one of the songs on youtube and you'll hear the keyboard is way to loud u don't hear any bass, And alot of Noise on the cd itself.

Don't get me wrong the band is quite awesome and have theire own style.
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
New American Gospel would have been incredible, if it had not sounded like crap.
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Quote by gabcd86

That's usually a problem with the mixing and not the mastering, but really you aren't supposed to be able to seperate them that much when they are playing the same thing, since the purpose of the bass in that scenario is to beef up the sound and not really be independent.

as for the OT, pretty much every mainstream record released in the past 7 or 8 years, loudness war FTL.

Quote by viper_mike
anything by black sabbath, too quiet, lack of bass (not the instrument, the frequencies), and the drums sound dead, and ozzy

that's your stereo, not the mastering, mastering records loud causes a lot of problems.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by ThunderPX
Californication and all RHCP albums after it.

you're talking mastering here? not content right?

Sound wise i think they're fine.. the content gets a lil worse the later on they get.. like stadium arcadium the songs suck, but the mastering is fine on them. They just suck lol
Quote by GaijinFoot
Early Lamb of God
New Lamb of God

Are you retarded, or do you just do a great impression?

Also, Coheed And Cambria's first two albums.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Quote by swaxq123
you're talking mastering here? not content right?

Sound wise i think they're fine.. the content gets a lil worse the later on they get.. like stadium arcadium the songs suck, but the mastering is fine on them. They just suck lol

Californication is super compressed and clips all over the place, it sounds terrible.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
that's your stereo, not the mastering, mastering records loud causes a lot of problems.

that is not my stereo, i'm listening on adam p11a professional studio monitors, their records just sound dead
Black Holes and Revelations (Muse) - Horrible horrible dynamic compression and clipping throughout. The 'mastering' completely ruins the sound of the whole album
No One Knows (QotSA) - Again, same problem
How the West Was Won (Led Zeppelin) - It's not horrible, but the extreme dynamic compression is annoying, as is the overall sound of the album. While everything is crystal clear, it doesn't sound like a live album, and all of Plant's banter is cut.
RHCP, everything post-mid 90s. Compression again.
Quote by viper_mike
that is not my stereo, i'm listening on adam p11a professional studio monitors, their records just sound dead

they don't sound dead to me, and just because you have good speakers doesn't mean your stereo is any good. If it's too quiet turn it up, most new records are way too loud, which causes the signal itself to clip and sounds terrible. I think most of the black sabbath albums except the first two are mastered very well.

Last.fm
Quote by Barack Obama
Californication

God yes. Great album, baaaddd production.
Quote by juancsego
i have a right to do anything with the least amount of activity possible and if u cant respect that u can go to japan and buy panties out of vending machines...communists

If you live in Australia, save your internet:

Click.
Metallica- And Justice For All, St. Anger, Death Magnetic
Guns n' Roses- Chinese Democracy (vocals are just too loud in my truck, should sound fine in my car 'cause I can EQ it.)
...And Justice For All, again no bass, if i wouldve been newsted i wouldve boxed Lars' brains out
Quote by biglaz84
...And Justice For All, again no bass, if i wouldve been newsted i wouldve boxed Lars' brains out

PROTIP: It was Newsted's fault too. He says in the Classic Albums - Metallica DVD that the lack of bass on AJFA was his fault just as much as it was James' or Lars'.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Kiss - Animalize
In fact, most Kiss Albums.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by Ir8sob
Guns n' Roses- Chinese Democracy (vocals are just too loud in my truck, should sound fine in my car 'cause I can EQ it.)

This is an issue with the mixing, not the mastering

Although I've not noticed that it sounds too loud even though I've hardly listened to that bull**** album.
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']PROTIP: It was Newsted's fault too. He says in the Classic Albums - Metallica DVD that the lack of bass on AJFA was his fault just as much as it was James' or Lars'.
james hetfield: "we turned down his bass, because we were scared how the fans would find it."
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
The Battle of Los Angeles is good compared to Renegades. As much as I love RATM, Renegades sounds terrible
Point #1 by Chevelle
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

Bathory - Bathory

/Thread
If anyone find an album that has a more horrible master than this one, I'll give you my soul.
Quote by GaijinFoot
Early Lamb of God
New Lamb of God
Gojira- Sirus

That's all I can think of

The drums on black label were awesome.
Metallica - Death Magnetic
FCUKING SHOCKING
my bands recordings are better
and we did them in my mates room
lol
Bands to see before I die:
Again:
Machine Head
Lamb Of God
JFAC
BTBAM
TesseracT
Pendulum

For the First time:
Periphery
Texures
Monuments
Mumford & Sons
The Prodigy
Paolo Nutini

CASTODIUM!!!
myspace.com/castodium
Quote by mreed1990
Rush- Vapor Trails, their actually was a kind of recall on the ablum. It is so bad they recorded it way to loud, it actually breaks up at on point it gets so loud.

They used Digital Distortion during mastering which clipped the audio levels.
If you get the Vinyl, its WAY better than the CD. Its pretty rare, as it shows up on Ebay once in a while. I got mine for $40 from Germany, whereas my friend got for $115 off of Ebay.

You mess with the flag, you're still a spade
Page 1 of 2