The stuff on the guitar that you can regulate..

What do I set the Tone knobs on? The Volume? How much should I raise/lower the pickups? What about the switch?

If there's no standard for it, how do I decide what's best for me?

Thanks in advance,
mwx
You experiment - move things around, see how they affect the sound and see if you like it.

As far as pickup heights go you may as well leave them as they are for the time being unless they're obviously too close to the strings.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Move the **** to different positions, then whatever you think sounds best.... I mean depending on what you are playing, with determine what setup you should have.... pretty bland... question actually... can you be slightly more specific as to what you want to accomplish?
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
push pull tweak it yourself until it sounds good to you..

normally its tone and volume on full keep the pickup heights where they are, and the pickup selector switch you can change to get different sounds,
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
About the pickups;

The one in the middle is really annoying. They are like 50% raised and the middle one get's in the way when I palm mute..
Quote by mightywarrior
About the pickups;

The one in the middle is really annoying. They are like 50% raised and the middle one get's in the way when I palm mute..

I have no idea how that could be an issue, but if it is then just lower it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
only thing I ever do to my gutiars is lower the top half of neck pickup down a very tiny bit since it over powers the bottom three strings on the two guitars I have and makes it hard to hear them when I play all at once.