After getting outbid at the last minute on an Orange Rocker 30, I'm starting to re-evaluate my options for a new amp. In particular I've been considering getting either an '65 Fender Twin Reverb or an AC30 from this site www.reidys.com as they do a Buy Now Pay Later scheme of 0% interest for 9 months, meaning I could get a job in the summer to pay off the remaining money (I have about £600 now).

I'm basically looking for a Radiohead-esque tone and I know Jonny Greenwood uses a twin for his clean tone but some old solid-state for his distortion. Using an overdrive pedal, could I get some decent alternation between clear cleans and warm overdrive? and any pedals you'd suggest?

I will be using it for practicing with a band and (hopefully in the near future) gigging.
I'd recommend a ProCo Rat.. depends on what guitar you're using though.. the Fender Twin Reverb's can get quite shrill with a Telecaster on the bridge pickup.

Regardless of your decsion, they're both great amps and you'll be pleased with either.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by xwearesinking
I'd recommend a ProCo Rat.. depends on what guitar you're using though.. the Fender Twin Reverb's can get quite shrill with a Telecaster on the bridge pickup.

Regardless of your decsion, they're both great amps and you'll be pleased with either.

Sorry I should have mentioned that, I'm using a Gibson Les Paul Standard.
a twin reverb with a distortion pedal should work great for you
you already got the les paul.

i've only heard good things about the pro co ratt. you might want an overdrive pedal too though, maybe a tubescreamer or a fulltone ocd if you can afford it. this is because the twin reverb doesnt overdrive untill it's at ballbreaking volumes
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Last edited by maiden_mexico at Dec 2, 2008,
The twin and the ac30 are voiced quite different from each other. You had best try them both before plopping down hard earned cash. Have you considered other amps that get the gain you desire without a pedal?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
also understand that some amps take pedals better than others. the twin reverb LOVES pedals.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by gregs1020
The twin and the ac30 are voiced quite different from each other. You had best try them both before plopping down hard earned cash. Have you considered other amps that get the gain you desire without a pedal?

Obviously I'm going to make an attempt to try them first. I'll need to travel a fair way to get to a music shop that stocks them so I'd like to have done as much research as possible beforehand.

I've considered the Orange Rocker 30, I even bidded on one as I said. I'm open to other options if there are any you'd like to suggest.

Quote by maiden_mexico
also understand that some amps take pedals better than others. the twin reverb LOVES pedals.

That's one of the main reasons I'm favouring it at the moment, it seems like a great basis for different sounds.
Quote by Liam4
I'm open to other options if there are any you'd like to suggest.

I suggest you check out some engls, laneys, cornfords... and a JCM or JTM Marshall.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.