Page 1 of 2
I`ve been playing for a few months and have got the open chords pretty well nailed and had a go at some scales and last week was lent a learn to play guitar book and dvd set to try and a few pages in it starts teaching how to learn to read music, now i don`t plan on doing anything other than playing for myself so my question is do i really need to know how to read music ?
yes all six strings buzz !! but it`s unique isn`t it
It's not necessary, but it's still a nice skill to have. At least a basic understanding would be good.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
as soadrox said, it's not necessary IN GUITAR! if you want to learn another instrument, it really would be helpful though!
Quote by Toker420
Hendrix couldnt read music.

so what? it's still a good thing to learn it, it's just not a must
Quote by Toker420

Yes and Hendrix was a god. I cant read music either. Does that make me a god?
Nothing is necessary. But it's really easy and totally worth it. Don't limit your potential knowledge because you're lazy.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
its not necessary at all. Most songs come in tab form and to be honest if youve only played a few months you probably wouldnt use it. I only really bothered using the music theory i know when i got a little more serious about playing
At first I thought learning to read music and music theory was boring or sth. But when my guitar teacher started teaching me small bits at a a time I began to enjoy it!
It's interesting and rewarding to play reading only partiture 8-)
you dont need to learn how to read music at all, you have tabs for thar. but when you get more serious music theory is definately helpful
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
There's a pretty good chance you'll regret it if you don't learn it.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Like civildp1 said, it's actually quite easy, and there's sure no downside to it. Getting intimidated or bored at first is the hardest thing to overcome. Personally, I feel that it's not a necessary thing for a guitarist to do, but if you want to become a more skilled musician overall, it'll help greatly.

MadTaco
I must admit i`m having a read of it as i may not need it now but in the future i could regret not learning , and as i don`t have a dead line for learning it will fit in when i`ve the time, thanks for all the replies
It will help a lot when trying to play songs at a certain tempo. Tabs can't show tempo as well as sheet music.
No, I can't read music, and I'm fine, I just stick to tabs.

If you plan on playing any instruments other than Guitar or Bass, then yes learning music would be good.

Believe it or not, there are plenty of famous musicians who can't read music.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by Toker420

yeah but he was brilliant, no one matched him in his technique and skills

just know how to read the sheet music - you don't have to have it memorized but be familiar with it at the very least
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Quote by add666
its not necessary at all. Most songs come in tab form and to be honest if youve only played a few months you probably wouldnt use it. I only really bothered using the music theory i know when i got a little more serious about playing

Stupid stupid stupid. If you ever want to include a non guitar/bass instrument in one of your songs, tab will be worthless. If my ten year old self could learn standard notation during the first week of piano lessons, I think you can figure it out without much trouble.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
I am a wholehearted believer tha reading music is not needed. Listen to my music on my page - I am entirely self-taught... Mart Friedman was mostly self-taught, Dave Mustaine, so many others....

It would be nice, but NEEDED? NO.
For guitar it isn't compulsory due to tabs being widely used, but say if you wanted a different instrument in a song (Like a wind or brass instrument or even a whole section) tabs = suck. It's really not that hard and if you want to go and study music at college or university, you will have to learn it anyway. Get a step up on people and just learn the basics. I can't read music after nearly 9 years of playing, I can't say it holds me back but then again I don't need to know, I only play guitar/bass. I play drums and I can't even read drum notation.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

I too am self taught and have never learned to read music, I thought it might be a hindrance when playing with a band but it really isn't. But I can only play guitar/bass, I had a crack at trumpet once and started to learn to read music but playing trumpet wasn't my thing at the time. If i'd have carried on I'd probably be able to read music now but as a guitarist I don't see any reason to learn now. I can improvise and have a decent memory so hardly ever right stuff down apart from the chord structure of songs. So even my tab reading is going down hill now because I just never need it anymore. So in conclusion, it is up to you whether to learn how to or not.
Learning to read sheet music can improve your playing dramatically.
I'd suggest learning it while you're still beginning.
Once you get better, you won't want to be stuck learning how to ready music playing songs like yankee doodle. So I would strongly suggest learning to play and read music at the same time. Trust me, I've had to backtrack lots as reading music is necessary when playing with other instruments.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Sorry for the wordiness, but bear with me. I think this will help your understanding.

Being able to read music is not essential to being a good guitarist, or even a good musician. Eventually though, you might want to learn some music theory. This will help you to write your own music and understand music in general. (Definitely a worthy cause.) Having a basic understanding of notation could be helpful in doing this because it helps you to visualize music in a way that isn't solely linked to the guitar. For instance, it might help you understand chord structures and intervals more thoroughly than if you simply thought of them as places your fingers go on a fretboard.

That's not to understate the importance of tabs. Tabs are a valuable resource to guitarists, because unlike an instrument like the piano, there are multiple ways to play a single note on guitar. Assuming it's an accurate tab, it can show you the best part of the fretboard to play the song. When playing complex solos, it's just as important to know how to play the music, not just what the notes are. So don't be duped into thinking one way is inherently better than the other. They both have their advantages, use them accordingly.

For instance, if you're trying to just learn the part on guitar, go with the tabs. If you're trying to understand the musical structure of that song, analyze it with standard notation. Again, sorry for the wordiness, but I hope this helps.
Learn how to read sheet music, this way you're playing from something musical, not just numbers with a ton of dashed lines.

Seriously, even if you don't think you'll play for anyone else, learning to read music is pretty much necessary if you want to play music - and the correct way.

Tabs are so incorrect on the internet I find them useless.
Quote by Rickjames730
Learn how to read sheet music, this way you're playing from something musical, not just numbers with a ton of dashed lines.

Seriously, even if you don't think you'll play for anyone else, learning to read music is pretty much necessary if you want to play music - and the correct way.

Tabs are so incorrect on the internet I find them useless.

I disagree, but it's all based on opinion.

Either way, it is good to learn how to play by ear; or more specifically, to learn how to use your ear, and not only that, but to use it with theory (Not specifically reading music, but playing in key, and possibly playing out of key TASTEFULLY)
Not necessarily, tabs of course.

No guitarists really read musical notation however it is needed for most other instruments and it's handy when you like how Fur Elise sounds but you don't have a piano, so you spend the day restringing your old acoustic that hasn't been touched since you discovered metal. Well that was the highlight of my day....guess I'll go gamble.
Well ,i`ve decided to try to get my head round it after all i won`t be any worse off for trying , again thanks for all the opinions and advice, Harvey
The short answer:

If you're serious: go for it
If your just having a wank: don't bother

simple.
Last.fm!

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join!
Quote by Randaman
The short answer:

If you're serious: go for it
If your just having a wank: don't bother

simple.

you gotta love this forum, every angle`s covered
Quote by Toker420

Common misconception. Hendrix could actually read music and knew advanced music theory. In his early years he was in a jazz group.
I'm pretty sure hendrix could not read music. but SRV DEFINATELY could not read music, and theres many others. it's a good skill to have, i can read a bit, at least in first position, and well i guess it'd come in handy at some point.
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
Page 1 of 2