Been playing for about a year now, and I think I've been progressing well. I mean, I get home from school at 3pm on most weekdays and practice / write music until 10/11pm. But, I've been trying to get a handle on the basics of sweeps and so far the best I can do is the pseudo-sweep in Avenged Sevenfold's "Beast and the Harlot" -- Can anyone help me out by telling me where I can find some good basics for the sweep technique / just tell me how to get started learning them.
Just like anything, just keep doing it until it gets comfortable and accurate. Don't try to do massive high speed sweeps from the get go. Start small and work your way up.

Or, if you just can't get it, amybe sweep picking isn't your ting. I've always felt that sweeping is used way too often as a gimmick rather than for musical expansion, similar to tapping. Don't do anything just cause it looks cool, do it for musical quality.
If you laugh at this I get to have sex with you.
Click here to see the most beautiful guitar imaginable.
Quote by Jeltz
Sukman_Jr: Going on a trip to Finmark in Norway is a bad idea aswell! Beware of Nazi-zombies!
sounds like the exact same situation i had when i was starting to learn sweeping. first thing to remember is the reason sweeping is so hard to learn is because it's harder to do slower than faster, but obviously you can't just start off doing it fast. the way i learned was to just practice easy normal sweeps like A minor and stuff like that. but i didn't actually start getting better untill i started learning yngwie songs so try them
Google: "arpeggios" - 2nd link. Look at the basic Major and Minor arpeggios then go about working out Maj7, Dom7, Min7 arpeggios and playing around with them.

Search UG for "Spider Licks of Doom". Unless of course someone is kind enough to link to it for you.

They're decent places to start.
The main reason I want to learn sweeps is because my bands wants to cover Thunderhorse by Dethklok and the Sweeps are the only part that stand in my way.
By the way, This site, UG is amazing. I've only started using it today and already I've learnt SO MUCH. You guys are great. Thanks for all the help the lack of Hate Spam you normally find in other forums.