well i have an SG standard and a MG50 (i know) and all the effects and stuff that i need and i have some money.

should i save for a new guitar - maybe eastwood airline or spalted maple HH tele?

a wireless like this: http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_ews_16gt.htm << is it really worth it and also can this be put at the end of my pedal board instead of having a lead to my guitar?

or

probably most popular save for a new amp.

i was thinking a marshall valve amp around the £500 (about S1000 ish ) and what model would you recommend for a large range of sounds?

cheers
definitely save for a new amp with a guitar like that. what genres are you into ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
amp bro. no doubt about it.

and while we're at it, does it HAVE to be marshall? if you want the real marshall tone, you need to go 80s or earlier to get that vintage crunch tone. or look to a different brand. marshall's new makes aren't as good at recapturing the tone as its predecessors. a Traynor, Blackheart, or Peavey Classic are your best bets.

though if your budget is $1000 (in USD), then you can get a Ceriatone amp, which is a Marshall clone and will sound PERFECT for the marshall tone, at a less expense.

slash_edit: i just saw that you want a 'large array of sounds.' in that case, a marshall isn't necessarily your best bet. look into Line6's Flextone and Vetta. DON'T look into Line6's other amps b/c they're not up to par with the sound quality of these two gems. and lastly, if you go used you could probably find a used Randall RM50 with a couple modules and have it for $1000. maybe less if you're lucky. personally, i'd suggest the randall over all, seeing that i love warm valve tone, and it's got the ability to change out modules- therefor greatly increasing versatility while staying fully valve.

hope i was helpful
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Last edited by slash_rocks2005 at Dec 2, 2008,
In your situation you always get a new amp before any other gear.

What genres do you play/what tone are you after?
I have an MG30 and I hate it, get a new amp, as soon as Christmas and my new guitar is out the way I'm getting a new amp lol. Go with a valve amp, they're much better than solid state.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Quote by i_am_metalhead
In your situation you always get a new amp before any other gear.

What genres do you play/what tone are you after?

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Birchall17
I have an MG30 and I hate it, get a new amp, as soon as Christmas and my new guitar is out the way I'm getting a new amp lol. Go with a valve amp, they're much better than solid state.

and why are you going with a new guitar over amp, when you seem to know which is more important? but then again, if your guitar is a nightmare on playability and just doesn't make you FEEL like a rockstar, i definitely understand. i remember back when i had my firstAct strat copy....at least it was a sunburst finish....kept it from looking plane jane any more than it already did. that and i took a Sharpie and drew a design into the pickguard..
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
i play lots of things, most of which can be coverered fairly well by my mg50 although normally i have the gain on full :/

i would a like a good slash tone and a gary moore tone but also tones for pop punk type things and fairly heavy metal as well as nice cleans.

and also, i would like it to be marshall as i loved a jcm900 i once played at a gig but if the tones above can be got from a different make then im happy to look.

and no, i have no idea about wireless systems aha

thanks

EDIT: i just looked at the RM50 and it looks awesome although a little pricey, could someone explain the modules changing thing please as ive never come across that... cheers
Last edited by D_G at Dec 2, 2008,
modules=preamps
preamps=models of the different amps available (almost like different stompboxes based on famous amps- only not crappy, and really accurate)
so basically the amp housing is all the circuitry and poweramp, everything you need minus the preamp (where your actual sound is created). you slide the preamp in (takes all of half a minute to change) and voila- your basically switching amp styles. each module has two preamp tubes in the circuitry, and they are not just there for looks. this amp is ALL tube, don't be mistaken.

so yea, that's it in a nutshell. you can also change from 6L6 powertubes (american voiced, modern gain) to El34s (british voiced, vintage gain) to be even CLOSER to the sound of the preamp you're running. the RM50 can hold two preamps at a time. so if you were wanting a typical two channel amp, just make sure you buy at least one clean based module and one gain based module. or if you never use cleans, or really like using your guitar's volume knob to clean up your sound, get two gain channels. it's all preference. but you can buy as many as you like and have a huge array of tones.

yea....it's definitely for the working musician who wants all the famous amp tones without buying all of them...although i'd prefer having all the original models of the amps i love, it's not practical to people who have careers in fields other than musical performance/recording. therefor, an amp that gets really close to remaking their sounds is a blessing. and it's all tube...my favorite part
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
i don't think you can get the RM for £500, isn't it more like £900 (and that's without any preamp modules)?

what about a laney tt50 combo? guitar guitar and dolphin music had some under £500 (if they still have any left), the guitar guitar ones were ex-demo/had been on the shop floor, I assume the dolphin ones were the same...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
given that you posted your budget in pounds...orange comes to mind...check out the rocker 30. it can do everything you want

edit: not really sure how much they are over there, but they might fall close to your price range
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
^yea brand NEW they're that expensive.

if he goes used he could possibly score a RM50 for $1000. if he DOES wanna go that route, i suggest you go to the randall mts forums and go to the classifieds there. very possible you might find someone wanting to sell their rm50 combo so they can upgrade to a head or something. i don't see any reason why you couldn't score a used RM50 with at least one module thrown in for around right under $1000. seems fair to me anyway.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
^ it does, except they're a lot more expensive new over here than in the USA. However, they're not as big a name as, say, marshall or mesa, so i guess he might get lucky- would be worth a look, anyway. only problem with going s/h is that you might end up having to take whichever modules the seller has- if they aren't the ones you wanted, you'd have to budget for more...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^true, true. though, those guys on there trade/buy/sell modules like crazy i suppose. every module has mods that can be done to improve their sound. i posted my 'recto' module for sell/trade, and it didn't even take a day to get two replies. so if he doesn't like the ones he gets, he could easily trade/sell for another.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
ah, ok. again, though, you'd have the problem of finding someone from the UK who wanted to swap. but i guess it's worth considering.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?