Sorry for the long and possibly noob question but:

I'm looking at getting a new amp and currently just looking about, i've done some research and heard ashdown are good but thy have quite a large selection, was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice.
I mainly practice in my own house such as bedroom and that but I would want to purchase something which could crossover to use at a small gig if I ever got that good, so something that would last me. I was looking at the electric blue 1x15, has good reviews but I have no idea on whether it's power output is too much for bedroom practice or too little for small gigs as I have never played a gig and other such things as obviously I wouldn't get a massive stack for my bedroom/practices.

Also I haven't saw any ashdown amps in any of my guitar shops so i can't try one out.

Currently I have a Peavey MicroBass which has a single 8" speaker... lol

Thanks for any advice. (maximum price I'd pay is £400)
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
You can always turn a big amp down in your bedroom but you can't turn a small amp up to stage performances levels.
Ashdown have virtualy closed production of their solid state gear in the UK and moved it to the far east.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Get a MAG head and a MAG 210 cab, should be sub £400. In fact if you go on giggear.co.uk it comes in at £410
I've played the electric blue and I don't believe its worth it. It didn't sound very good at all, very muddy and distorted. Currently I'm playing out of a Mag 300 210 combo while I wait for my cab to come in and I believe that would be a much better investment on your behalf.

The MAG can get very loud and would be good for gigs but can also be quite enough to practice on. Like John Swift said, you can make a loud amp quiet, but you can't make a quite amp loud.
Quote by Edgey_15
Sorry for the long and possibly noob question but:

I'm looking at getting a new amp and currently just looking about, i've done some research and heard ashdown are good but thy have quite a large selection, was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice.
I mainly practice in my own house such as bedroom and that but I would want to purchase something which could crossover to use at a small gig if I ever got that good, so something that would last me. I was looking at the electric blue 1x15, has good reviews but I have no idea on whether it's power output is too much for bedroom practice or too little for small gigs as I have never played a gig and other such things as obviously I wouldn't get a massive stack for my bedroom/practices.

Also I haven't saw any ashdown amps in any of my guitar shops so i can't try one out.

Currently I have a Peavey MicroBass which has a single 8" speaker... lol

Thanks for any advice. (maximum price I'd pay is £400)

Dude, spend the extra money and get an EBS rig!!! www.ebssweden.com

Ashdown stuff is VERY unreliable!!!
Quote by Jeffmo929

Sorry? The last time i checked the ashdown series are very reliable. Ashdown aren't behringer.

Another option is a Laney RB8 (mine was £300 exact) 300 watts, so can do a gig.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
what would that be called? a Fibson with Gender confusion issues?
Thanks all for your replies, I'm now rather interested in the MAG 300 with 210 combination instead.
I shall be seriously considering this option as it is just about the maximum I would pay, I'll have to get saving a bit though before I purchase.

Thanks all again.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
Hmmm, maybe just get the MAG300 2x10 combo amp. Then when you start gigging just buy a 1x15 for the bottom. Got ye self a nice gigging rig there.
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
Quote by Edgey_15
Thanks all for your replies, I'm now rather interested in the MAG 300 with 210 combination instead.
I shall be seriously considering this option as it is just about the maximum I would pay, I'll have to get saving a bit though before I purchase.Thanks all again.

Please remember regarding a 2x10 not suitable on it's own for live for gigging I'd go for the 15" version, I don't want to be telling you a couple of months down the road "I told you so"
I have some speakers out of a 2x10 Ashdown they're only rated at 100 watts each.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Save up a tad more and get yourself a 410:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ashdown_mag_300h_bundle.htm

It's free delivery.

The problem here is that you're still only working into an 8 ohm (450 watt handling) cab so your amp is only kicking out around 200 watts; whereas a 1x15 combo will allow another 8 ohm cab that will give you 4 ohms. In doing that you will get the max out of the amp.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Hmmm, £400 yeah? Just having a look, but An Ashdown little giant 350 is £3 cheaper than a MAG300 but has 50watts of more power.....

Hmm, a Little Giant 350 and a 1x15 cabinet hit £400 exact. I'm not sure how good those little giants are, but they don't sound too bad. The cab can only handle about 250watts, but at 8Ohms you'll only be maxing 270-280watts max. and your not gonna be going over 7 in your bedroom i hope. Once you get a 2x10 or 4x10 cab when your gigging you'll be hitting 350watts fine with nothing too worry about
Quote by IndianRockStar

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
Quote by pandathe3
Hmmm, £400 yeah? Just having a look, but An Ashdown little giant 350 is £3 cheaper than a MAG300 but has 50watts of more power.....

Hmm, a Little Giant 350 and a 1x15 cabinet hit £400 exact. I'm not sure how good those little giants are, but they don't sound too bad. The cab can only handle about 250watts, but at 8Ohms you'll only be maxing 270-280watts max. and your not gonna be going over 7 in your bedroom i hope. Once you get a 2x10 or 4x10 cab when your gigging you'll be hitting 350watts fine with nothing too worry about

Have they released the Litte Giants yet, if so whose stocking them?
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
The problem here is that you're still only working into an 8 ohm (450 watt handling) cab so your amp is only kicking out around 200 watts; whereas a 1x15 combo will allow another 8 ohm cab that will give you 4 ohms. In doing that you will get the max out of the amp.

The head has two outputs, so either way, head or combo you'd need a second cab.
http://www.giggear.co.uk/p/Ashdown-Little-Giant-350/

It says 'pre-order' but he says hes gonna have too save up first. I mean, c'mon £3 cheaper than the MAG300 head. I thought they'd be atleast £300.

I wouldn't mind one to be honest
Quote by IndianRockStar

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
I was thinking of getting the MAG 300 with 210 for the moment and then closer to the point when I may start gigging add a 115 to it so I have two cabs as by that time I will have extra money, but now the 'little giant' has been thrown in there, apart from its extra 50W would there be much difference between it and the MAG? would there be much difference in terms of tone and that?
I have never used heads+cabs, only ever played through combo amps so I don't know about differences in heads and that.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
The little giant is 50watts more, at the same price.....I'm thinking about it, Tonally, it'd be about the same: Both Ashdown heads, same cabs. On the little giant however, you have a few more sliders too shape your sound more too how you want.

The advantage too using head and cabs is the you can pick and mix between companies for different heads and cabs. Another thing, which will play a big part of your tone, is the different speakers you use. If you wanted loads of low end, get a 1x18 cab or a 2x15 cab......Loads mid end punch a 8x10 cab.

Check the FAQ in the 'Amplification' section
Quote by IndianRockStar

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The head has two outputs, so either way, head or combo you'd need a second cab.
Exactly but with a second cab you will be giving out 300 watts whereas the first cab (4x10) alone has a 450 watt handling capacity, adding a second say 300 watt cab will step it up to 750 watts handling for a 300 watt amp along with a total of five speaker voice coils requiring and absorbing power from the 300 watt amp.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
Please remember regarding a 2x10 not suitable on it's own for live for gigging I'd go for the 15" version, I don't want to be telling you a couple of months down the road "I told you so"
I have some speakers out of a 2x10 Ashdown they're only rated at 100 watts each.

Sorry, but why does everyone here think 115s are louder than 210s or something? I have an ashdown 115 and a 210 and if anything the 210 is better. It's louder and it sounds better. Also it's 250W, enough for the EB180 head i use.
I assume they mean the 115's provide a lower, deeper tone as oppose to actual volume, as they are different size speakers they produce different tones and I assume you prefer the tone given by 210's which is all personal preference.

I will probably get the MAG head with 210's to start and then get 115 and go from there on, thanks for information and I will be checking the FAQ's when I have some time!
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
Last edited by Edgey_15 at Dec 3, 2008,
A 1x15 pushes more air so is louder. And i always find a 2x10 on its own is rather lacking.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
i think a 210 is perfectly good and you could certainly gig with it. A lot of pro players use 410 and 810 cabs and they don't seem to be lacking. but as you say, personal opinion on that. Maybe it's just mine, but my 115 sounds like mud on it's own.
Quote by budget bassist
Sorry, but why does everyone here think 115s are louder than 210s or something? I have an ashdown 115 and a 210 and if anything the 210 is better. It's louder and it sounds better. Also it's 250W, enough for the EB180 head i use.
I think that you're missing the point which is, om its own, as an all round speaker for bass a 15" is better than 2x10s, the reason is that a single 15 will handle a wider spectrum than a 10" mainly the bottom end which is where most of the broadness emulates, a 2x10 is the perfect add on to take over where the 15 does drop off somewhat.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I Suddenly get the feling that John will know more than i will.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
i have the 1x15 you were thinking of getting.
aye tis very good soundwise... you can turn it down and its suitable for bedroom practice, and it can also go loud enough for small gigs.
failry transportable too if you have the muscles (or a small trolley that we got form B&Q for a tenner)
the only problem i found was the build quality, two of the corner protectors have come off and one of the screws holding the strap down came out, so we improvised with a washer and another screw.

but yea, for amps on a budget they are very VERY good.
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
Cheers elliot for the advice I think i will defo be getting either the 115 or 210, ill try some cabs out in local shops see what I prefer in terms of speaker size and that.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ashdown_magc115300.htm.
small enough to keep in the bedroom, quiet enough to practice in the bedroom.
300watts, enough head room to gig with, plus u can add any cabinet to that.
tonal wise, the 15" has a much warmer tone than the 2x10, altho u get more clarity with the 2x10, also more bass for some reason.
Quote by jb_reborn
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ashdown_magc115300.htm.
small enough to keep in the bedroom, quiet enough to practice in the bedroom.
300watts, enough head room to gig with, plus u can add any cabinet to that.
tonal wise, the 15" has a much warmer tone than the 2x10, altho u get more clarity with the 2x10, also more bass for some reason.

I just ordered one of these after deliberating between this and the 210. If you can wait a couple weeks I'll let you know how it is.
cool, I might go for that if i decide I want a combo, which is another thing I will have to decide. Definitely know that if i go for head+cab ill get the MAG 300 and 210 and later add a 115.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
Quote by Edgey_15
cool, I might go for that if i decide I want a combo, which is another thing I will have to decide. Definitely know that if i go for head+cab ill get the MAG 300 and 210 and later add a 115.

you live in manchester right? doesnt dolphin music have a shop in liverpool? they stock ashdown amps, so if ur gona make a big investment, its worth the trip.
aah, thanks for the insight, I may pop down there one day with a mate or two, never been to Liverpool before lol, would be a laugh, laughing at scousers and that. know anywhere else that stocks ashdowns? I know nowhere in manchester does
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
Reverb does, I don't know if they have on in Manchester or Liverpool, there is one in Birmingham if your willing to pay the petrol/bus fare/train fare.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
what would that be called? a Fibson with Gender confusion issues?
I have two electric blue 180 15s. (bought the second off a friend who quit playing)

I love mind and have played most of thier models (not the Mark King nor the Classic Series)
They are by far are my favorite bass amps and are extremely reliable (I dropped one down a flight of stairs)

And unless you don't understand that if it's clipping that means you'll have distortion they are amazingly clean and are very versatile and I even have one of thier lowest models.
Quote by Jeffmo929

QFT.

Well first off, there is no small amp that can be used has a bedroom amp and small gig amp. Usually you buy a large-ish amp (100w-200w) so you can still use it in the bedroom and then at a gig, mic it and go through the PA and everything is still hunky-dorey.

The Warwick Sweet 15.2 should do the job.
http://www.guitarandampshop.co.uk/acatalog/Warwick_Combo_Bass_Amplifiers.html
You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!