Hey Yall UG!

i was wondering are chromatic tuners any good.

and if so.. can you recommend me a decent pedal/tuner

ive looked at the Boss chromatic tuner (im not sure if thats the full name.. but its white with orange writing) for about £53 on DV247

is this worth the money and is it well-made (dont want it to break in 5 minutes)

ps.. i know your all going to say.. learn by ear you loser or something like that.. so please if your gonna say something like that.. dont bother..

thx in advance!
:::Gear:::

Ibanez JS100
Marshall MGDFX Halfstack
Roland Cube 30
Line6 X3 Live
Aria Acoustic (idk what make)
nah...i mean its good if you train your ear, but in live situations youre not gonna want the whole crowd listening you tune...

anyway...get a Korg Pitchblack, is cheaper and has true-bypass unlike the Boss.
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Just for the record it doesn't play through the amp when tuner is turned on so noone is gonna hear, and I personally think it is great and it has helped me alot and now can't imagine what I would've done without it. Hope that helps.
I've got a Boss TU-80 that I used to use in my effect chain until the input stopped working. Now, it just sits around the apartment and is used to tune guitars in here. On stage, I usually have a Fender Guitar tuner. I'm considering modding it to true bypass, but it seems like too much work.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
I'd suggest the Planet Waves strobe tuner. True bypass, it's a tank, and looks hella cool. I've had mine for over 2 years with no problems and its pretty accurate.
Quote by SayAnything
I'd suggest the Planet Waves strobe tuner. True bypass, it's a tank, and looks hella cool. I've had mine for over 2 years with no problems and its pretty accurate.
oh, that was is nice, actually. If you got the money, it's a good choice. I was looking into one of those. Then I scoffed and bought a new acoustic.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Ive been using the Korg Pitchblack for almost a year and gig extensively. I have had no issues with it at all. (Although the cool black finish is all scratched up :p )
boss tuner is built strong and accurate. not too bad on the wallet either
Agile AL-3000 HSBF>
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz V1>
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive V1>
Hardwire CM-2>
Delta Lab Chorus>
EHX Holy Grail>
Boss DD-7>
BBE Sonic Stomp>
Digitech JamMan>
Blackheart Little Giant
+1 for the Korg Pitchblack

It beats the boss for:
- size and weight
- price
- accuracy
- true bypass (apparently)
- looks better!

Like one poster said, only problem is it can get scratched up easily. Also, doesn't have the years of trusted industry use of the TU-2, but hey. TU-2 is pretty much the industry standard, why, I don't know.

The planet waves one looks awesome though, might be worth a look, though I haven't tried it.

edit: Just keep in mind - when tuning, the pitchblack turns off the signal going to the output, so there is no way to tune and hear what you're playing. In most cases this is what you want, but the pitchblack does not have the option of turning the signal on - I think the TU-2 you can switch between these modes.
Ibanez SAS32FM
Dunlop Crybaby
Korg Pitchblack
Boss LS-2
Boss SD-1 + 2 x Clones... all modded of course
Fulltone GT2
Hardwire DL-8
Big Muff (Russian)
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vox AC30CC2
Last edited by nbroers at Dec 3, 2008,
If most gigging guitarist use it, doesn't that make it the industry standard?
Ibanez SAS32FM
Dunlop Crybaby
Korg Pitchblack
Boss LS-2
Fulltone GT2
Hardwire DL-8
Big Muff (Russian)
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vox AC30CC2
No?

Since when does "most gigging guitarists" equate to the industry? I'm talking about local bands, the average musician, the bedroom guitarist.

Check out people who are involved in the actual music industry, and I bet, 8 times out of 10, they'll either have a Strobe tuner like the Peterson one, or a rack tuner.
Fair enough
Ibanez SAS32FM
Dunlop Crybaby
Korg Pitchblack
Boss LS-2
Fulltone GT2
Hardwire DL-8
Big Muff (Russian)
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vox AC30CC2