Basically, I'm not hugely knowledgable about much in the world of effects, basically because I have got away without a pro pedal board until now, I'm looking for something that can give me a nice stutter effect. Is that basically a really fast tremolo sound? you don't hear it very often, but like the NEW Guns N Roses song, There was a time, has in the solo at about 5mins17 and on something like Miss Murder by AFI.

Is this litteraly just a tremolo pedal that I'm after, and do they all give me a serious drop in volume when I engage them?

Adam
Sounds like you want a killswitch to me, but a fast tremolo would work I guess, but when the stutter happens the volume will go down.
mod your guitar to have a killswitch in it.. i'm going to do one to my guitar soon.. basically you take the hot wire from the input jack and put a switch there
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by Static The Band
Sounds like you want a killswitch to me, but a fast tremolo would work I guess, but when the stutter happens the volume will go down.

Is it possible to get one that doesn't drop in volume, I have heard that the Voodoo Lab Tremolo has a volume control, would that be enough to let me raise it up to normall sound? I don't know if I would be able to use a killswitch whilst playing chordy stuf at the same time?
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
mod your guitar to have a killswitch in it.. i'm going to do one to my guitar soon.. basically you take the hot wire from the input jack and put a switch there

Ever since seeing the Les Paul BFG I wanted a mini switch kill switch! but I'm hoping for something more along the lines of a pedal so that it's easier to control
Quote by ierostyle
Ever since seeing the Les Paul BFG I wanted a mini switch kill switch! but I'm hoping for something more along the lines of a pedal so that it's easier to control

Tremolo is a modulation in volume, not an interruption of signal - it'll never sound exactly the same as a killswitch and it'll never be as controllable. The whole point of a killSWITCH is just that, it's a switch - you control it directly as opposed to having to set an arbitrary, fixed rate of change with a knob.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
zVex do a seek trem which is can be quite random in it's tremolo, or set at a steady rate. You might want to check out the video for that.
Thanks I shall check it out, because I have cecked to see that the AFI guitarist has a multi fx rackmount for his tremolo that he uses as a stutter effect. If anyone knows of any tremolo's that will give me that cool stutter and notloose to much volume that would be much appreciated!
volume drops in tremolo pedals are barely noticeable, especially when the depth knob is set pretty high.

i use a boss tr-2 which is notorious for it's "volume drop," but the truth is that it's virtually non-existant.

too much hype about this sorta ****.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Any versatile tremolo should give you a stutter sound at its most extreme setting.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
cool so I nice true bypass trem pedal should do the trick then?
thanks for the help, anyone know of any good ones that aren't like £200 odd pounds ($400)
Quote by nightraven
seymour duncan shape shifter

looks pretty awesome to me any more recomendations?
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd give it a bump. I know exactly the effect you're looking for, ierostyle, and you won't get it with a tremolo.

What you need is a delay pedal with a 'Hold' function, like a Boss DD-6 or Digitech DigiDelay.

The hold function is basically a sampler which records and replays whatever you strum whilst your foot is held down on the pedal. So, if you want a glitch stutter effect, you need to record a very short sample and have it replay over and over.

So, get your delay pedal set to hold mode. The other settings like delay time and feedback won't matter in this mode as the length of the sample dependent upon what you play when the pedal is activated. Make sure your effect level (volume) matches the volume of your amp, though.

All you need to do is quickly tap the pedal ON at the same moment you play the strings and you'll get that awesome glitch effect. The longer you hold your foot down, the longer the sample will be. To stop the effect, simply switch the pedal OFF.

You can also layer the effect once the glitch is going (at least, I can on my DD-6, not sure about other pedals). If you press and hold the pedal, the red light will flash. Then whatever you play while it's flashing, it will match the sample already going. You can get some pretty awesome effects with this - think bands like Daughters, These Arms Are Snakes, Melt Banana, Fall Of Troy, etc.

For some reason there are no videos on YouTube on how to do it at all, which is a bit annoying. I might make one...
Quote by steven seagull
Tremolo is a modulation in pitch, by original definition. Although guitarists have come to use the word to describe a rapid modulation in volume which creates a "stuttering" effect

Fixed

TS: I know that on Miss Murder Jade turned off the volume on his neck pickup and used his pickup selector switch as a killswitch.

I'm not sure about the GnR song that you're talking about but I know Buckethead played on some of the songs on that album and he is vary notorious for using a killswitch.

What guitar are you currently using?
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Broken

TS: I know that on Miss Murder Jade turned off the volume on his neck pickup and used his pickup selector switch as a killswitch.

I'm not sure about the GnR song that you're talking about but I know Buckethead played on some of the songs on that album and he is vary notorious for using a killswitch.

What guitar are you currently using?

No, it's volume.

And yes, this IS an old thread
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Apr 1, 2010,
Quote by nightraven
jesus christ this is an old thread

Oh crap it is. Huge fail on my part for not looking at the date of the OP. Why do people go through and bring these old, dead threads back??
Quote by steven seagull
No, it's volume.

And yes, this IS an old thread

I beg to differ, sir.

Straight from Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: trem·o·lo
Pronunciation: \ˈtre-mə-ˌlō\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural trem·o·los
Etymology: Italian, from tremolo tremulous, from Latin tremulus
Date: circa 1801

1 a : the rapid reiteration of a musical tone or of alternating tones to produce a tremulous effect b : vocal vibrato especially when prominent or excessive
2 : a mechanical device in an organ for causing a tremulous effect
Rapid reiteration just means repeating the note, as in tremolo picking which is the origin of the term - where the notes alternated the tremolo description refers to the rapidity of the playing, not the alternating pitches. As far as effects go tremolo has always been a fluctuation in volume - never pitch.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Apr 1, 2010,
Quote by steven seagull
Rapid reiteration just means repeating the note, as in tremolo picking which is the origin of the term - where the notes alternated the tremolo description refers to the rapidity of the playing, not the alternating pitches. As far as effects go tremolo has always been a fluctuation in volume - never pitch.

I never once said anything about the effect, I was referring to the term itself. In musical terms, tremolo is the rapid reiteration of the same tone (or pitch) or multiple tones (or pitches).

Pitch is a perceived fundamental frequency of sound, so it is interchangeable with tone.
Quote by nightraven
seymour duncan shape shifter

This, I picked mine up for $70 USD used...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals