im interested in buying an acoustic guitar and i have some questions, whats the difference between a new and used guitar? ive heard some sources tell me that a used guitar is better because its worked in and will sound better i was just wondering if that was true, i was also wondering if you could make any suggestions as to what guitar i should get, my price range is $200-$300 at the absolute most ive heard that the cheaper the guitar the worse the sound is that true? there is one catch though unfortunatly ive been cursed with being left handed and i understand that this means the selecton is very small but i was wondering if i could get a cutaway type body, unless cutaways are very expensive in that case any sugggestions will due.

thanks alot
I think there is a sticky thread for this but i could be wrong.
I'm not too sure about it sounding better used. I've never bought a used acoustic.
The general rule with most things is that you get what you pay for.
I find that ovation acoustics are nice, but some people say the cheper ones are'nt as good, really it's just what you like most so go to a shop and try some out.
And the cutaway means that the guitar is electro-acoustics. I dont think ive ever seen an acoustic with a cutaway.
Originally Posted by Demon Wolf
one dream of mine is to play baroque and roll.

i dont quite know what it is, but i assume it involves plenty of harpsichord solos and medieval chanting.

For that price range, check out the guitars under 300 sticky. Good stuff.
Quote by bellamy_morello
im interested in buying an acoustic guitar and i have some questions, whats the difference between a new and used guitar? ive heard some sources tell me that a used guitar is better because its worked in and will sound better i was just wondering if that was true, i was also wondering if you could make any suggestions as to what guitar i should get, my price range is $200-$300 at the absolute most ive heard that the cheaper the guitar the worse the sound is that true? there is one catch though unfortunatly ive been cursed with being left handed and i understand that this means the selecton is very small but i was wondering if i could get a cutaway type body, unless cutaways are very expensive in that case any sugggestions will due.

thanks alot

A used acoustic guitar will only sound better if it has a solid wood and is played often. The guitar needs to be played often or else it won't sound any better. Just because a guitar is old won't necessarily mean that it's aged(played in). At this price range, you will more than likely only get a solid top, which is fine since the Top is most important anyway.

Just like anything else in life, you pretty much get what you pay for. $200-$300 is a decent price range thoughk, so no worries. Just try to avoid Ibanez(at any price range) and Ovations. Yamaha makes great guitars at this price range. The FG700 series are good ones to look at.

As for a cutaway... You won't find an acoustic with a cutaway unless you buy electronics to go with it 99% of the time(which is even less of the time for lefty guitarists). If you're not going to use the electronics, then don't but the electronics, even if it's just for the cutaway. It honestly won't be worth spending the money on. Very few acoustic guitarists use the cutaway anyways.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.