I'm after a new bridge, and I was thinking of getting something like this:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/goeldo_hwm4c_bridge.htm

And fitting it onto my SX P-bass copy, mainly for aesthetic purposes (although I'm under the assumption it'll increase my sustain a little bit, correct?)
I can drill new holes, which I'm guessing I'll need to, but is there any reasons why I shouldn't do this?

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Get it to a tech if youre unsure.
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
it looks like the three screws will match up with the stock bridge screws (the inside 3 of the 5) and then you put the two outliars in.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
get a BAII
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
sonsie's right, Leo Quann Bad Ass II is the way to go. And Budget Bassist is kind'a ironic... as the SX are actually pretty decent for the money. You slap a BAII and a Duncan in one of those, and you get a pretty decent bass.
No, i meant the bridge is a total POS, nothing wrong with SX. Get a gotoh 201 if you want a decent bridge for the same price as that
I'd think the MM bridge is better than that peice of pot metal SX puts on there. The gotoh is a good choice, for the money though... but if you want that look, it's unbeatable... now I'm starting to wonder....
Quote by Thomme
I'd think the MM bridge is better than that peice of pot metal SX puts on there. The gotoh is a good choice, for the money though... but if you want that look, it's unbeatable... now I'm starting to wonder....

that ISN'T a MM bridge!!!!! It looks like one, but that's it. I have a real MM bridge, and i've had a MM copy with one of those and they're totally different. For starters that's made of thin ass metal, no sustain. It's also got cheap crappy saddles, cheap crappy screws and springs and it's just cheap crap. A REAL MM bridge is much more solid, sustains much better and that's why it's on a MM. That is a bent bit of **** that's meant to look like a MM bridge but is probably no better than the stuff that comes on an SX. [/rant]

EDIT: not to mention, when have EBMM ever made a bridge that looks like that? The current one is about half the size and doesn't have that stupid bit of metal that's there for nothing, and the old school ones had string mutes on them. Plus the real ones are attached by screws and big ass bolts either side that bolt into some brass inserts in the body. That's probably where half the sustain comes from. Trust me on this, that bridge is a POS and you could get an awesome gotoh 201 for the same money, if not a tiny bit more that would knock the socks off that.

EDIT: i'm not ranting at anybody in particular, that's just a crap bridge
Last edited by budget bassist at Dec 2, 2008,
Quote by budget bassist
that ISN'T a MM bridge!!!!! It looks like one, but that's it. I have a real MM bridge, and i've had a MM copy with one of those and they're totally different. For starters that's made of thin ass metal, no sustain. It's also got cheap crappy saddles, cheap crappy screws and springs and it's just cheap crap. A REAL MM bridge is much more solid, sustains much better and that's why it's on a MM. That is a bent bit of **** that's meant to look like a MM bridge but is probably no better than the stuff that comes on an SX. [/rant]

ok... it's not like I know MM parts, I'm'a fender guy... jeez.
Quote by Thomme
ok... it's not like I know MM parts, I'm'a fender guy... jeez.

Sorry, i'm a big EBMM fanboy, point is it's probably no better than the stuff SX use.
I wouldn't chance a BAII on there...SX P necks sit pretty deep in the body, and you might wind up with some beastly action. Gotoh, Schaller, and Hipshot all make bridges that are equally good, for less money.

Also, Rondo has hipshot-style bridges like they use on the LTD series basses for sale right now, and guitarfetish.com has something similar. I think the GFS one looks better. Both are $20.
Nope, no sig here.
half the BAII's I've been in personal contact with have had there saddles ground out to account for lower action. You wanna talk high-action? BAI's, man... horrible bridges.
Thanks for the feedback guys, budget bassist especially for the detailed (and somewhat passionate) feedback. Like I said in the OP, I was considering it for aesthetics only, so I'll definately be looking at other bridges.

As for the BAII, it's pretty out of my budget, I'm just getting things on the cheap side for now (hence getting the SX in the first place haha )

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
I still think gotoh 201, i don't think it's worth buying a rubbish bridge just for aesthetics, it's your bass though. I think you'd hear a big improvement with a 201 though.
I've said it before and I'll say it again - gussying up an SX is like winning Ms. Special America. Hell, bridge covers would make more sense at this point.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
^ How many SX instruments have you played? SX basses are made of much better quality material than most any Squier or Ibanez beginner bass. I have a Squier MB and a MIM Jazz in the room with me right now, and the SX's quality nearly matches the MIM. Only the nut is subpar, and it's still better than my Squier./
Nope, no sig here.
Three used ones in a pawn shop. Two Jazz styles, one Precision. The finish felt cheap, the frets were rough and there was a too-low fret on the Precision, the pots were scratchy on the Jazzes, and they were insultingly light. The tone on the basses were recognizable to the basses they're copying but little more. But you get what you pay for. Which I don't think is worth making look nicer.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I don't know, I've heard a lot of both sides on this, I think the catch is getting one that's not crap. If your SX plays well, might as well gussy it up if you want. I mean, I'd love to get an SX Jazz bass copy, gut the electronics, cut a new nut for it, give it a good fret job (does that sound sexual?), set it up perfectly and pop a BAII on it. I'm sure that with that kind of work, you'd get a GREAT bass for the money. I mean, the Bridge and Pickups and nut would cost you twice as much as the bass... but, buy that point, you'd have all the same parts on it as a squier if you did that to a squier.
Quote by thefitz
Three used ones in a pawn shop. Two Jazz styles, one Precision. The finish felt cheap, the frets were rough and there was a too-low fret on the Precision, the pots were scratchy on the Jazzes, and they were insultingly light. The tone on the basses were recognizable to the basses they're copying but little more. But you get what you pay for. Which I don't think is worth making look nicer.

Every product I've seen come from Rondo has been excellent. You likely got some old ones...the company is pretty dynamic. They make the instruments in batches, see what people like and don't like, and what flaws they have, and adapt. (mine's not available anymore...I guess FL P's aren't too popular ) The newer, the better basically. They're even phasing out the day-glo necks and fish-hook headstocks.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Dec 3, 2008,
Could be, could be. It still stands though - if you want to add something that'll improve the sound, go for it. But something cheap to improve the look? Those are some mixed up priorities, dude.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Could be, could be. It still stands though - if you want to add something that'll improve the sound, go for it. But something cheap to improve the look? Those are some mixed up priorities, dude.

I'm not really looking at new bridges to improve the sound, I'm just after one because the one on my SX is a POS (for example the screws aren't all the same length and the thread seems to have worn down), I just had the idea to try something that's a little bit different looking than the typical Fender style bridge.

I'll have a look at the Gotoh 201, and any other bridges the stores around here have

Quote by MightyAl
The uneven screws aren't that uncommon...my dad's MIM Jazz V is the same way.

Can't go wrong with the Gotoh, IMO
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by dancesisidance
the thread seems to have worn down

+1

seriously, Gotoh. ll you need to know.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom