Page 2 of 5
lucky prick... -18C here with a heavy snowfall warning
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
dude, this is looking like a really ****ing cool guitar, best comp entry I've seen so far
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Thanks!

Making the body round is hard if you do it manually and long. Havent had much time on the the week, thats because I had to play with the band a lot, need to practice for an oncoming gig.

Okay have the neck blank.

This is guatambu. Cost me 38 pesos which sums up to about 12 dollars. If I cut this in half, speaking about the depth of the wood, I can make 4 necks, two full necks, and two necks that will need a fretboard from another wood. Its 52 mm wide, 95 cm x 20cm. Cheaper than I expected, nicer than I expected. Its similar to maple. Now thats a wood many of you dont know, GUATAMBU FTW!!!

Okay tomorrow ill see If I finish the left side of my guitar and ill update this.

Cheers

Looks good so far , nice job man. What pickups are you installing in this one?
Also are you gonna be going for the classic Telecaster metal plate for the knobs , or doing something like a Les Paul for the knobs ?
hey man I'm genuinely interested to see how this turns out!!

From the prototype and what you have so far, it looks like it's going to be one hell of a guitar. Can't wait to see the end product!
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
sweet jesus thats a lot of wood for $12. More than you can ever get in any red light district :-P

Looks excellent man. Keep up the excellent work. Glad to see your doing it all yourself and buying all the parts!
Well the guitar is smooth all way round. Today I bought the back ferrules, they only had left in black... I went to the local lumber to get my chunk of wood cut and planed. I also took my ebony blank, but they wont do it for me, because its too fragile . Ill have to buy a manual planer? or spokeshave?
I mean somthing like this
(Invalid img)

Today I payed an order for the router bit I need and a humbucker template! And thats as far as it goes on updates, thanks for all the nice comments.
Tommorrow I have bandday all day long. On saturday afternoon Ill post more updates with the four neck blanks Ill get out of the wood, and hopefully a finished fretboard!
12 bucks for a slab of mahogany. Dang!
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
$12 mahogany is not hard to get at some lumberyards though....

That is a good buy, whaddya reckon, bowt 5 necks out of that bit of wood?
Or is that a flame i see or just the way it was cut? Might make another nice bookmatched top
That's looking pretty neat... Have you thought about a finish? Please tell me you'll let the mahogany shine through someplace, I love its color!
Quote by tjfishrocker
Coolcat i want to make love to you right now.

Quote by Natrone

Anyone else see the irony in smashing a guitar that says "peace and love" ?
Quote by Coolcat13
That's looking pretty neat... Have you thought about a finish? Please tell me you'll let the mahogany shine through someplace, I love its color!

YES it will shine! Ill paint the top black but the sides and the back will remain unpainted, just clearcoated.

Some updates:

1° I have my blanks now! The wood, it is just so nice, love the color of it.

I feel it makes a nice contrast with ebony

2° I rounded the body near the neck pocket:

3° The body is all sanded and ready for cavity

4° Binding channels are done. Ive already bought the small black/white/black binding, just need to get the bigger white binding

5° And I rounded the back sides

Okay thats it for now. Today I recieve my router bit, the one to copy templates! Cheers
Looking really good.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Thanks, really a lot! Well, I need to get a template to do my neck. And since holidays are coming (Christmas and New year's eve) im going away so the process will be slow and painful from now. Expect this to sink, and suddenly come from the dead with lots of updates, just like the last one!
Quote by allstar340
Looks AMAZING!

Thanks!, Ive spent 4 hours cutting and planing the fretboard and the neck

I have to do the following:

-Buy the white binding
-Route the cavities in the body (PUs and Controls)
-Buy the neck plate and the screws.
-Buy the pickup
-Buy the trussrod
-Shape the neck
-Slot the fretboard
-Paste the fretboard in the neck.
-Finishing sandings
-Apply paint and laquer.
-Strings
-Play
Quote by divinorum69
Thanks!, Ive spent 4 hours cutting and planing the fretboard and the neck

I have to do the following:

-Buy the white binding
-Route the cavities in the body (PUs and Controls)
-Buy the neck plate and the screws.
-Buy the pickup
-Buy the trussrod
-Shape the neck
-Slot the fretboard
-Paste the fretboard in the neck.
-Finishing sandings
-Apply paint and laquer.
-Strings
-Play

do it now!
Spear Gladius II
Squire Standard Stratocaster LTD ED c/w hotrails
Squire Deluxe Strat c/w Hotrails
Dean Baby V
Tanglewood Acoustic
Bugera 333 Head
Laney Cab Vintage 30's
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2
Boss MT-2 (modified)
Marshall Jackhammer
A little update no pics...

I started fretting the ebony, well slotting the ebony, and I gotta tell you, ill never make a fretboard again. Its ****ing hard, I spent almost 4 hours sawing the damn ebony, and I could only make 6 slots to full deep length. Its disturbing. So, yes do your own necks, my advice buy a preslotted board if your going for a normal wood such as ebony, maple or rosewood. Of course if you have an exotic wood, maybe the work is justified you know, Id sure spend some 10 hours of sawing for a snakewood fretboard but for ebony, well Id just spend a few more bucks and buy a preslotted fretboard. Well thats how I feel.... lol

so thats it cheers
Quote by JagStang5246
This build is awesome! Can't wait to see it done.

Thanks, yeah this is going slowly because im using everything to take lessons with a VERY GOOD local luthier, so I do not do things on my own, because I wait to do them at the lessons with him, which by the way is a very good inversion, Im learning a lot
This is looking great! It already kicks the crap outta mine!
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by Comrade Curry
Finish this, that is a damn sexy looking telecaster, almost reminds me of mine with the binding, pickups, color scheme, hardware, or wood

Thanks, though I have not seen yours.

Im still going with binding but Im going with a natural finish, since I will try to sell this and natural is more of a seller when good woods are used. I do not have a lot of money since I invested lots of it into this and I have yet to finish other projects. Altough when I finish this Ill do a new one!

Forgot to say im going with dunlop 6105 frets, since they are sexy as hell
Sell it to me

Nah, probably can't afford it

Looking good though, can't wait to see how it'll turn out
Looking like a very tasty build I look forward to seeing it completed.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
WHY WAS THIS THREAD BUMPED?

Seriously, I don't know why there's such an abundance of bumpmonkeys, but fucking stop bumping these threads that haven't been updated by the threadstarter.
------

Shwiggity.
Edit: Thanks for the comments!
Yes Im going to sell this, I lack money to complete my other builds, and I need to finish my frankenstrat because I require a guitar with a FR. For that Im going to need to buy the stewmac fretboard saw and its accesories. Its going to be painfull watching this go, since Its the very first guitar Im going to build with my own hands, but at least im going to have more tools to make more guitars.

Okay some updates, finally!

I also routed the neck pocket but I do not have pictures. You can see, that the dots are not very well aligned, my first time using a drill press. Also in some fret slots I dangerously reached very far down, almost cutting the ebony in half, lucklily I managed to realise before. Im also going to have to fill with wood in between the FB and the trussrod.

Also those dots are mock ups, Im using abalone MOP, you know the green Mother pearl

Anyways, Cheers

Last edited by divinorum69 at Apr 4, 2009,