#1
Alright, I have a Silvertone, just a basic 3 pickup guitar that i customized to be a one pickup, one volume, one tone asymbly (the wiring was all to hell and i dont know how to re-wire the pickup selector). Now i have all the wires soldered in, and everything should be fine... But everytime i turn the tone above 0 the amp makes the noise like if you were to touch the end of a cable plugged in. I was wondering is it the pot is screwed or that copper wiring is cause some sort of distortion in the tone? Or, is the power too much for one pickup?

thanks
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Quote by SmashandBurn
Teacher: "There will be a test tomorrow no exceptions."
Student: "What about complete an utter sexual exhaustion?"
Teacher: "You'll just have to write with your other hand."


Kittys?
#2
there should be no problem having just one pickup.
this is not a "too much power for one pickup" issue.

check the wiring.
the most common wiring mistake is having the sleeve and tip connections reversed at the output jack.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
#4
I took the selector out. (im going to put in LEDs in and make the selector how to turn them on, off, and flicker.) I believe that my tone is broken. But I was wondering if the wires themselves had something to do with it. the wiring is fine and all correct. The wires are copper and not the usual metal used in guitar wires. So i was wondering if that had something to do with my problem. Or if it was just too much power for one pickup to take. i doubt its the wires or the power, alot, but i was just making sure. If it sounds like a dead pot, or you think its one of the others, please tell me.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Quote by SmashandBurn
Teacher: "There will be a test tomorrow no exceptions."
Student: "What about complete an utter sexual exhaustion?"
Teacher: "You'll just have to write with your other hand."


Kittys?
#6
Well, if the pot was fine before you took the other pickups and selector out, I doubt it just went bad all of a sudden. The wires being copper makes no difference. There is no such thing as too much power for one pickup to take. Pickups don't take power at all. They have magnets inside of them, that react with the strings. When you plug up your guitar your not putting any king of power to the pickups, your signal from the pickups is being sent to the amp. Its probably a wiring or ground problem. Just look at the diagram I sent in the first post. Its how I have my custom wired and it works fine. Make sure all your connections are nice and solid, and that no frayed wires are touching each other, and make sure your grounds are ALL connected and run to the sleeve of your output jack.
#8
Quote by Invader Jim
...And make sure the ones on the jack aren't reversed.


+100000000

Jim is almost certainly right. Odds are definitely that the jack isn't wired properly.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer