Page 1 of 2
if you have never played/owned a GOOD ebony fretboard you do not know what you are missing
Ebony, no question.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
ebony
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
I've never played ebony, but I've heard that Maple and Ebony feel similar. Every time I play maple and compare it to rosewood, I find Maple is much nicer to play. So basically, Ebony wins.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
I like rosewood the best. Maple fingerboards tend to be finished with clear coat, and they can be a little sticky if it isn't a good finish. I have seen some good quality rosewood boards that are just as slick as an ebony board. Each will have a subtle tone difference, but the biggest thing is the look you want, and the feel. Ebony tend to be found on more expensive guitars.
..... maple and ebony do not feel similar. I find maple really sticky and ive never played a maple fretboard ive liked.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
ebony. i only have rosewood guitars but since ive played ebony fret boards ive been wanting to get my fretboards replaced
I perfer ebony fretboards if i'm playing with les paul other than that i perfer rosewood for everything else.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
i think they're "different", rather than "better". different tone, different feel... though ebony does tend to be more expensive (unless you're talking brazilian or similar high-end/rare rosewood).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I like the look of rosewood but prefer the feel of ebony fingerboard. Ebony is smooth as silk!
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

IMO, ebony. I've got a guitar with rosewood, maple and ebony, and except for being a smaller scale, the ebony is my favourite for playing out of the three.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
its not a which is better its which tone you like more rosewood is the warmest ebony the brightest maple is between but more towards ebony side
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by Dave_Mc
i think they're "different", rather than "better". different tone, different feel... though ebony does tend to be more expensive (unless you're talking brazilian or similar high-end/rare rosewood).

Thanks for giving the only answer that's not biased so far xD.

It seems that just because ebony is usually more expensive and seen on higher-end instruments it's perceived as a better fingerboard wood. The reason ebony only appears on higher end instruments is because it's more difficult to press frets into it with an automated machine without the wood cracking since it is harder than other woods (I read this not only at that douche Ed Roman's web site but elsewhere as well).

Ebony is more percussive and 'spankier' than rosewood. So to me it depends on what kind of sound you're going for. And that's the real answer.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Quote by Matt420740
I like rosewood the best. Maple fingerboards tend to be finished with clear coat, and they can be a little sticky if it isn't a good finish. I have seen some good quality rosewood boards that are just as slick as an ebony board. Each will have a subtle tone difference, but the biggest thing is the look you want, and the feel. Ebony tend to be found on more expensive guitars.

+1

I like Rosewood for it's warmer tone, and feel. Ebony is somewhat harder to slide on, but then again the only ebony fretboard guitars I've played are brand new ones that haven't been worn down to the point where sliding is comfortable.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
I love Ebony fret boards, the darker the better.

I hate maple or really light fretboards to me it looks very cheesy.
its 100% a matter of preference so only you (ts) can answer your own question.

personally i am a rosewood guy. figured maple is sexy but rare.
^ yeah, there are definitely a bunch of options. kingwood looks pretty nice too, never tried it though.

Quote by Mo Jiggity
Thanks for giving the only answer that's not biased so far xD.

It seems that just because ebony is usually more expensive and seen on higher-end instruments it's perceived as a better fingerboard wood. The reason ebony only appears on higher end instruments is because it's more difficult to press frets into it with an automated machine without the wood cracking since it is harder than other woods (I read this not only at that douche Ed Roman's web site but elsewhere as well).

Ebony is more percussive and 'spankier' than rosewood. So to me it depends on what kind of sound you're going for. And that's the real answer.

i have no idea about its being more difficult to press in frets (you're probably right though), i just know it's more expensive. it definitely has a really nice smooth feel, but you're right, the tone is a little different, and it depends what you're after. feeling very slightly smoother (and if you get good rosewood, there's not going to be all that much difference) isn't going to be much of a consolation if you don't like its tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ebonyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
Gear:
Agile 2000 2ts
ESP LTD Eclipse 1000, ASB
Amps:
Crate GTD65
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Defo Ebony...
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Ebony, they are amazing.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
I have a max 600, the ebony fretboard is slick as ****, so fun to play on
Sounds like ebony is the favored wood....Well, im looking to buy a Gibson SG standard, the other guitar i was looking at was an SG robot...they are both about the same price. The standard has a rosewood fretboard and the robot has an ebony. Should i let that persuade me to get the robot? Cuz i absolutely love the standard
Page 1 of 2