Yo people !

So Im new here. (Hello, hello ) And I have read some good things about this book (The Principles of Correct Practice for Guitar), but Im still not sure if it is good for learning electric guitar since I have only read about experiences in the books homepage (http://www.guitarprinciples.com/) and now I would like to get some from here... (I play acoustic too, so I got no problem with those sweeties, right now Im just trying to get a hang of the other ones :p .
So I wish that if someone in here has some experience with this book, maybe he/she could share it here or maybe suggest some other books. I would really appreciate it since I really need some help in my technique.

Thanks !

Quote by Toker420
Hendrix didnt read any books.
Exactly.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
neither did i.
well one, an ernie ball one, but it was shocking.

haha.
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
I've read quite a bit of that book and I can say that it's not good. In order to get good at guitar, you just need to play a lot and feel comfortable with your body. That's it!
There's so much unneeded stuff explained in that book that may look important, but your body will automatically do those things if you just feel comfortable. I'd say: really avoid that course, because it will just take a lot of time, make you feel insecure about your playing and will teach next to nothing.
edg recommends it so it must be good. If you don't know edg, he's the guy that basically knows all his shit since he's had a lot more experience than any of us unworthy peons. He gives out some great advice on technique every now-and-then and slips away for a while. He knows a very good amount of theory too.

Edit:
Quote by Toker420
I didn't know this thread was for worthless, irrelevant comments.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by Toker420

Then this is probably why he was a horrible guitarist.

Quote by UNIe
I've read quite a bit of that book and I can say that it's not good. In order to get good at guitar, you just need to play a lot and feel comfortable with your body. That's it!
There's so much unneeded stuff explained in that book that may look important, but your body will automatically do those things if you just feel comfortable. I'd say: really avoid that course, because it will just take a lot of time, make you feel insecure about your playing and will teach next to nothing.

I'd argue and say your body is likely to do the exact opposite of what the book details if you just do 'what's comfortable'. Guitar technique is not something that is natural to the body; so doing what is comfortable for your body is highely likely to result in poor and inefficient technique. The same applies to doing what is comfortable for your mind.

And really, 'it will just take a lot of time' is the most ridiculous justification you could ever give someone for not buying this book. You make it sound like there is something out there that is going to take less time than doing everything physically and psychologically perfect to achieve greatness in guitar technique.
Quote by Johnljones7443

I'd argue and say your body is likely to do the exact opposite of what the book details if you just do 'what's comfortable'. Guitar technique is not something that is natural to the body; so doing what is comfortable for your body is highely likely to result in poor and inefficient technique. The same applies to doing what is comfortable for your mind.

And really, 'it will just take a lot of time' is the most ridiculous justification you could ever give someone for not buying this book. You make it sound like there is something out there that is going to take less time than doing everything physically and psychologically perfect to achieve greatness in guitar technique.

I said it will take lots of time because of the exercises that are shown in the book/video. And I agree that you have to learn lots of different muscle moves when learning to play, but what I had in mind was that you can learn everything if you just relax the muscles that are not needed to be strained (mainly - upper arms and shoulders). For me, the best way to do this is to just feel comfortable and relaxed, and not spend hours practicing some exercise which makes you even more tensed than ever. Well, you could try that course, maybe it it would work for you, but I've said my opinion and advice about it.

P.S. Hendrix was a "horrible guitarist"?! I'm glad I didn't see that part earlier, before responding.
Good technique doesn't equal good music and vice versa.
Last edited by UNIe at Dec 2, 2008,
Quote by Johnljones7443

Hendrix was not a horrible guitarist, grow up a bit.

edg swears by this book, listen to the music in his profile and see what it's done for him.

I don't personally recommend it, but I bet if you got it you would learn something from it.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Dec 2, 2008,
A book is helpful if you need to figure out a certain scale/technique or something like that.

I've always used/use a book called: The Guitar by Ralph Denyer (catchy title right). Just to look something up. But the best way to learn is to practice practice practice and practice.
The reading gives you 5 % of improvement, moving your fingers will give you 95 % of improvement. And like said before Hendrix never used a book. But on the other hand he really didn't need one as well. I guess we do.
Well, you could go by what a book says or if you can wing it, get a teacher.
Make sure he is very expierienced and can music like it is his second nature.
I still have a music teacher, killer guitarist, very creative musician, has 27~yrs expierience.
I learn way better from him, the way he explains things, make sure you also get a teacher that can simplify things too, when you get into theory and stuff. It'll help.
Errrr...wait...this was about practice right? xD lmao
ok don't listen to my other post then unless you wanna consult an instructor.
Here's what you can do...make a schedule for yourself.
Work on chords for x minutes
Play scales for x minutes
Learn theory for x minutes
learn your favorite lick for x minutes
learn your favorite song for x minutes
Work on timing with a metronome for x minutes (should use the metronome for practicing songs also)
Write a song
Etc etc, try to do that everyday, and you should be good, maybe change it up when you get to become a more expierienced player and musician.
I think the book is unique in that it deals with overcoming problems with the guitar
in terms of overcoming problems people have in controlling and focusing
their awareness. It's fundamentally the same problem. I think if you're going to try
and solve problems, the only real way to solve them is to deal with the cause, not the
effects. Most people don't realise that the #1 thing that holds them back is: themselves!

If you don't see that, then there's a million other books that will give you tons of content
to practice -- if you believe that you just need to practice "certain things for long enough"
then those are probably better books for you. Or, just forget books... like Hendrix! LOL.

So, to the TS, I think you made a really good choice. It's not a gimmick book. It's not
a content book. It's real teaching is sort of "in between the words", but in order to
discover that you'll need to try and apply it. Not perfectly at first, but at least consistently.

Quote by UNIe

In general the world can be pretty shallow and that's one of the reasons this particular
book tends to generate a lot of these kinds of responses. Since it doesn't conform to
the usual form its all too quickly dismissed. But, I'd say a poster who feels that a book
is responsible for his insecure feelings, maybe shouldn't be so quick at the dismissal.
Last edited by edg at Dec 2, 2008,
Its a really good book. I think most books are worth a read. You can usually use at least one idea that is very useful. In the case of the principles book I got alot out of it. To the comment about hendrix not reading books....I love hendrix but hendrix was no technical wizard and had a visceral style. If you want to develop flawless technique you need to be aware of how your body needs to feel in order to increase your technical proficiency...sure you don't need a book for this but some people get along easier if they have a book to reference which introduces them to these new concepts.
Andy
Thanks for the replies!
Though I do believe you can get good with or without it actually, I have decided to buy the damn book
I hope it works for me. If not... Just one more unnecessary thing I have paid money for
Well, yeah. Thanks again, for everyone! :p
It will work for anyone. It deals with relaxation etc how to develop proper *perfect* technique. Invaluable.
Andy
Quote by Johnljones7443

What an ill informed comment.
Quote by Freepower
The Hendrix part or the rest of it? It seemed pretty damn informed to me.

The Hendrix part.

Frankly anyone who dismisses Hendrix as a horrible player knows very little of electric guitar and it's history and certainly shouldn't be advising people.
Everyone is due their opinion. Hendrixs influence on the history of the electric guitar(which is undoubtable and I do personally love Hendrix) should have nothing to do with how anyone voices their opinions on what they do and dont like.
Andy
Quote by RichieJovie
The Hendrix part.

Frankly anyone who dismisses Hendrix as a horrible player knows very little of electric guitar and it's history and certainly shouldn't be advising people.

I think its lame as well. It was an ignorant and/or immature statement. Being a "well respected member" of this forum should come with some responsibility IMO. That responsibility was not shown here.

Quote by Andy_Mclaughlan
Everyone is due their opinion. Hendrixs influence on the history of the electric guitar(which is undoubtable and I do personally love Hendrix) should have nothing to do with how anyone voices their opinions on what they do and dont like.
Andy

It wasn't stated as an opinion but rather as a fact, and by someone that alot of people here listen to without question. (which is a bad idea, but that's how it is)
shred is gaudy music
I think its lame as well. It was an ignorant and/or immature statement. Being a "well respected member" of this forum should come with some responsibility IMO. That responsibility was not shown here.

He's well respected because he's knowledgable and helpful. His responsibility is limited to not misinforming people or obvious misbehaviour, in my opinion.

It wasn't stated as an opinion but rather as a fact, and by someone that alot of people here listen to without question. (which is a bad idea, but that's how it is)

That's not how it is... I would be incredibly suprised if anyone changes their opinion of Hendrix based on John's statement.

Certainly not.
You can't really argue that Hendrix has great or even decent technique. Wasn't that what he was talking about?
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Jimi Hendrix was and still is the best guitarist to walk the earth. Anyone who says otherwise is an idiot. Unless your definition of great happens to be "fastest sweep picking and most proficient muted drop c power chords". In that case, no, Hendrix was not a great guitarist.
Quote by Freepower
He's well respected because he's knowledgable and helpful. His responsibility is limited to not misinforming people or obvious misbehaviour, in my opinion.

That's not how it is... I would be incredibly suprised if anyone changes their opinion of Hendrix based on John's statement.

Certainly not.

Saying you don't like Hendrix is a statement of opinion.

Saying Hendrix is a horrible guitarist is a statement of "fact" (or intended as such) and is misinformation.

it's immature BS at the very least. Not the kind of thing Id let fly if I was a mod, especially considering it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the book that was asked about by the TS and adds no value whatsoever to the thread.

I think this kind of statement, and the support of the statement by mods here reflects poorly on this forum.

Quote by jdiddy182
Jimi Hendrix was and still is the best guitarist to walk the earth. Anyone who says otherwise is an idiot. Unless your definition of great happens to be "fastest sweep picking and most proficient muted drop c power chords". In that case, no, Hendrix was not a great guitarist.

I don't think that anybody is "the best guitarist who ever walked the earth", but he sure was influential wasn't he.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Dec 3, 2008,
I don't support his statement. I believe you guys have no right to be making such outlandish judgements of his character and advisory competence.

I'm also terribly sorry that I let someone include a derogatory remark about Jimi in a post answering the threadstarter.
Quote by Freepower
I don't support his statement. I believe you guys have no right to be making such outlandish judgements of his character and advisory competence.

I'm also terribly sorry that I let someone include a derogatory remark about Jimi in a post answering the threadstarter.

yes you do support him or we wouldn't be talking about this.

if you support his right to say inappropriate things like that, then you have to support our rights to call him out on it. you can't have it both ways just because he's your friend.
shred is gaudy music
I believe I have as much right as anyone.

I believe, quite frankly, that no-one has the right to make statements like this -

Person X knows very little of electric guitar and it's history and certainly shouldn't be advising people.

based on statements like this -

Hendrix is a horrible guitarist, possibly because he didn't read any books.

...because I'd rather live in a world where a teacher's merits are judged on their ability to teach, not their opinion of a sacred cow of electric guitar.

ED: and I do support your right to call him on it, just not with such wild sweeping statements. I'd hardly call John a friend, either. I was barely around while he was about most. I doubt he even knows my real first name.
Quote by Freepower
I believe, quite frankly, that no-one has the right to make statements like this -

based on statements like this -

...because I'd rather live in a world where a teacher's merits are judged on their ability to teach, not their opinion of a sacred cow of electric guitar.

ED: and I do support your right to call him on it, just not with such wild sweeping statements. I'd hardly call John a friend, either. I was barely around while he was about most. I doubt he even knows my real first name.

You don't believe we all have the same rights here?
are you and john above us because of your mod status?
(that may be good for you, but not for the forum)
I believe we all have something to contribute and should have the right to do so. Ridiculous statements of opinion are another matter, which btw is what John did. I merely pointed out that his statement was immature and lacked relevance/appropriateness.

what wild sweeping statment?

* make sure you're quoting me and not someone else as you just did.

btw there are some sacred cows here at UG as evidenced by this conversion.
shred is gaudy music
You don't believe we all have the same rights here?
are you and john above us because of your mod status?

Where are you getting this from? When I say -

"I believe, quite frankly, that no-one has the right to make statements like this"

I mean just that. I didn't say anything like "Mods can say this, older members can say this". I mean that no-one has the right to say X based on Y. In the outraged moral sense of "no-one has the right".

I believe we all have something to contribute and should have the right to do so. Ridiculous statements of opinion are another matter, which btw is what John did. I merely pointed out that his statement was immature and lacked relevance/appropriateness.

Sure. I don't have a problem with that. I was refering to Richies comment (as basically quoted in my last post. See v

what wild sweeping statment?

Richie's statement that John shouldn't be advising people.

* make sure your quoting me and not someone else as you just did.

...you edited that sentence out of your post, if you're referring to
I believe I have as much right as anyone.

... if you are referring to RJ's quoted comment, I think it's pretty clear that I was answering your queries regarding "our rights".

btw there are some sacred cows here as evidenced by this conversion.

It would be heartening to see these explicitly pointed out.
Quote by Freepower
On what criteria?

Jimi certainly wouldn't have agreed.

On what criteria? How about that no one else could ever use the guitar to evoke such feeling as Jimi did. Even modern virtuosos like Satriani acknowledge the Jimi was the best. Just look at the way his playing progressed in his four major studio albums (Are You Experienced, Axis , Ladyland, and Band of Gypsys). In the 4 or 5 short years of his stardom, he managed to record some of the best, most widely respected music of all time. How long did he even play the guitar for? 11 or 12 years? He managed to become that great in that short a time, doing what imbeciles like Zakk Wylde and Eddie Van Halen spend their entire lives trying to do. Its so annoying how the drooling idiots on this forum say how Jimi was a horrible guitarist just because he didn't shred with 14 note per second solos.

And how can you say Jimi wouldn't have agreed? Did you know him? Unless you did, don't speak for him. I never said that he would have agreed.

And don't call Jimi Hendrix a Sacred Cow. That's just ignorant.
Last edited by jdiddy182 at Dec 3, 2008,
Quote by Freepower
Where are you getting this from? When I say -

"I believe, quite frankly, that no-one has the right to make statements like this"

I mean just that. I didn't say anything like "Mods can say this, older members can say this". I mean that no-one has the right to say X based on Y. In the outraged moral sense of "no-one has the right".

Sure. I don't have a problem with that. I was refering to Richies comment (as basically quoted in my last post. See v

Richie's statement that John shouldn't be advising people.

the fact that this argument has gone on this long shows how inflammatory Johns statement was and how the idea of the sacred cow actually applies to him.

Anyway, all I have to say about this was said in my 1st post.

...you edited that sentence out of your post, if you're referring to

... if you are referring to RJ's quoted comment, I think it's pretty clear that I was answering your queries regarding "our rights".

It would be heartening to see these explicitly pointed out.

You quoted Richie as if it was me.

Anyway the fact that this has gone on this long shows the inflammatory nature of Johns comment and shows that the term sacred cow really applies to him.
(Its ok for John to insult Henrix but not for Richie to insult John)

Why not just call that immature garbage out for what it is and stop it in its tracks.
You guys don't mind calling out everyone else, don't forget to look in the mirror once in a while. (meaning don't always look the other way when its your favorite Ug'ers).
shred is gaudy music
if u get a teacher youll learn alot faster, input: jimi was blessed with musical ability, probably a great majority of musicians have to strive to get where they are
<\\\SuBLiME\\\> ~ ~ ~~

This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help him on his way to world domination ...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Last edited by HenHouse at Dec 3, 2008,
if you support his right to say inappropriate things like that, then you have to support our rights to call him out on it.

Plural...

I believe, quite frankly, that no-one has the right to make statements like this, etc...

I do support your right to call him on it, just not with such wild sweeping statements.

What I am doing is quoting RJ to clarify my stance on the general rights of forum members and the statements they can make. I never claimed it was you, but I was answering your question.

We cool?

Its so annoying how the drooling idiots on this forum say how Jimi was a horrible guitarist just because he didn't shred with 14 note per second solos.

... that's not why at all.

And how can you say Jimi wouldn't have agreed? Did you know him? Unless you did, don't speak for him. I never said that he would have agreed.

Well, I said he wouldn't have. I'm trying to say that there isn't a best guitarist.

And us "drooling idiots" over at the "mindless 14 note per second solo" forum were recently having a little chat about Jimi, and here's the quote that we all liked best -

"Interviewer: A lot of people say your the best guitarist out there.
Jimi: Oh I don't know about that... How about the best guitarist sitting in this chair right now? I can agree with that."

And don't call Jimi Hendrix a Sacred Cow. That's just ignorant.

Well, if you can explain how that would be ignorant, I'd certainly be impressed.
Quote by Freepower

"Interviewer: A lot of people say your the best guitarist out there.
Jimi: Oh I don't know about that... How about the best guitarist sitting in this chair right now? I can agree with that."

Thats a great quote. It really shows what kind of character he was. Intelligent, and humble.

I wish everyone had that kind of attitude.
shred is gaudy music
^ it's cool actually, noticing how painfully modest most of the best players are.

Shawn Lane and Allan Holdsworth have some of the most monstrous playing, theoretical and musical chops, and neither would think for a second of himself as a "great player".

Even Steve Vai, with his monstrously huge ego, does not ever seem to consider himself above anyone else. Rather, if you follow me, he believes that his improvement hasn't belittled anyone else.

I got a fantastic quote from Martin Goulding when I was part of his class at IGF - "Anything I can do is a reflection of your own potential.". Whenever I can do the stuff he could do then (and I mean, holy ****, the guy can play) - I think I'll make that my sig.
It's fact that Hendrix died at a young age and was a drug addict. So don't become legendary it'll lead you to your death.