Hey guys, I was orignally a bass player and then I switched to guitar, but I'm going back to bass within the year because the bass player for my band is moving away and I'm going to need a bigger amp.

At the moment I have a hartke b90, while I like the tone, the power output wouldn't be enough for my band who will be on the road. I need something that can be powerful enough to stand alone.

At this I'm going to sell the b90 for extra money towards it, hoping for about 200 bucks as it's in perfect shape. And I'm planning on saving up atleast 400 more dollars.

so my budget will be 600 MAX. I'm willing to go used.

I just don't know what to look for, I know good tone when I hear it though.

My playing style is with a light pick most of the time for that treble punch (Like matt freedman of rancid)

any help would be appreciated.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Last edited by l3p4rd at Dec 2, 2008,
Quote by JMDavis07

+109283

my brother owns the combo(my band's bass player) and it sounds amazing.
we play punk rock, pop punk, alternative...so it's close to your style of playing I guess.
and with the 1x15 cab...
then you'll kick some ass
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
badumpa bump, I'd like a few more opinions before I go out
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
If your willing to go used check Ebay.

Some really nice deals.
Like Hartke 5500 and 3500 for $300-400
Gallien Krugers for $300-400
Older Peavey Models (really really reliable) for $200-300

Those should provide more than enough volume ranging from 300-500 watt.

They you can pick up a cabinet or whatever size you like (I say 1x15 + 2x10)
For about 150-200 each.

Check out the stacks people are selling as well.
Hartke LH500 > Warwick WCA 115 ND. Great amp, great cab.
You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!
Okay this whole situation happened sooner now, So I'm going to sell the b900 and some guitar pedals and hopefully get around 300 bucks from all that.

Would I be able to get something that stands alone (no PA) with a ska band and be heard loud and clear?
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
The hartke 2500 and 210 cab are SUPER loud and get killer ska/punk tones.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Captain Insano
Fender Bassman 250/210, very nice. Loud, sounds wonderful. See them used 45--500 bucks.

i have one of these and if you can find one in your price range i would definatley recomend it
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
hmm. Carvin?
Acoustic?
Ashdown? (I've heard great things about this one for ska)
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
^ Thank you.

Carvin and Acoustic are going to get you the best all-around amp for the price, with Carvin being the better quality of the two and Acoustic being the more convenient. Ashdown, Hartke, Laney, and Peavey aren't far behind, and any off them could easily be your best choice if you want the tone. Carvin and Acoustic both have a very clear tone...not a whole lot of "balls" unless you EQ it in. (not that this is a bad thing, they take effects very, very well and are easy to EQ)
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Dec 20, 2008,
I dont really want to highjack the thread, but if you can only get one cab, would a 210 or a 115 be best?(no 410)
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Depends. A small 210 like GK makes would be worse than a sealed 115, but a big ported 210 like Trace Elliot makes would be better by itself. Neither 210 would match a big folded horn or front-ported 115 like Carvin or the old Acoustic produce(d). If you plan to add a cab later, the 115 is the better choice of the two.
Nope, no sig here.
my b900 is pretty loud, I've never gigged with it but I've been in band situations, would it be smarter to buy it a 410 cab or somthing?
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Quote by Mutant Corn
^ Thank you.

Carvin and Acoustic are going to get you the best all-around amp for the price, with Carvin being the better quality of the two and Acoustic being the more convenient. Ashdown, Hartke, Laney, and Peavey aren't far behind, and any off them could easily be your best choice if you want the tone. Carvin and Acoustic both have a very clear tone...not a whole lot of "balls" unless you EQ it in. (not that this is a bad thing, they take effects very, very well and are easy to EQ)

not much huevos?

you make that sound like a bad thing (even though you state its not).

I dig that clarity, you can hear all the little things you do. it is, in my opinion, a very ballsy tone, clarity lets a Jazz growl easier or a Stingray punch harder, IMO.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I have a 210 under my hartke and it's way more than enough volume-wise. It's also a lot more portable than a 115, so it gets my vote.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
I have a 210 under my hartke and it's way more than enough volume-wise. It's also a lot more portable than a 115, so it gets my vote.

what's your hartke?
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120