Hi, I'm 19 years old (which I feel like is too old to be learning) and I wanna play the guitar. I'm just not sure which ones best for me.

With the guitar, it's easier on my fingers, but it has too many strings. But with the bass, it has less strings but it's harder to play.

My dad is planning on getting me either a bass or a guitar for christmas, so I have to make up my mind.

I'm looking more towards a bass...

What do you guys think?
bass ftw! ^_^ bass is more fun to play, plus learning songs you like is easier. and tabbing is a lot easier
well bass, at a starter level is easier to play most songs. but as you progress it gets very difficult, the only problem is a lot of people dont get to that stage of progression. with guitar people often continue to play as they can play along and sound like their favourite songs. Id go for guitar, although there is always a need for bassists.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
bass is easier... and boring.
Quote by Mauri_wario
I would indeed "fap that thaing", but my dog is looking at me and it feels highly iinappropriate.
While I am fully in support for bass myself, don't let guitar put you off because of "too many strings". After a while playing (as in , a week or two) it won't seem like a problem. A lot of bassists feel confined by 4 strings, and get 5 or 6 string basses for economy of motion.

Personally, I say go with the one you like the tone of more.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I started with a bass and moved to the guitar. Its hard to find a good bass player though (at least around here) so you could probably find a band easier with that. whatever you like the best man. after you learn the basics for one you can move to the other too
go with bass. way too many guitarists out there
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
Bass players are more in demand. Guitar is more versitile (playing accoustic + singing) Do both and see what you end up as.
I think it is easier to go from guitar to bass than bass to guitar, just because of those two extra strings a semi down screws bass players up a bit. Also chords are playable much easier and with better results on guitar.
Last edited by Tempoe at Dec 2, 2008,
ive always been a guitar player, but bass is just ridiculously fun in a band or jam setting

its a toss up

if you're leaning towards bass just go for it
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
there aren't enough bassists in the world its always a hassle to find a decent one - take up the bass
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Well good luck with whichever you choose man. I starting play bass because I heard "self esteem" by the offspring, and knew I had to recreate that sound. I would advise you to listen to the music that you enjoy, and decide which instrumental sound you want to reproduce. O....and don't worry about the level of difficulty. Anyone that plays either instrument will tell you that both are difficult in different ways, but with enough practice, you can reduce any of your weak areas. If your father has money to burn and you go for bass, I recommend you go for Warwick.

- A.L
Quote by Sumlover41

you make it sound as if its a bad thing...

i started with bass and lost interest once i got to the advanced tech stuff cuz i could never get it right. I picked up a guitar and thought the same thing...."whoa way too many strings, way to close together, i cant even feel these things." but as i became more comfortable with the guitar i prefer it to the bass. although i do miss good bass lines

Quote by mystical_ace
If your father has money to burn and you go for bass, I recommend you go for Warwick.

- A.L

what he said

Quote by Nyamaki
Hi, I'm 19 years old (which I feel like is too old to be learning) and I wanna play the guitar. I'm just not sure which ones best for me.

I started at 20, and i know ive read there are many others who started even later than me! dont ever feel like its too late....its never to late to pick up an instrument. look at all the musicians who play multiple instruments, you think it all just clicked one day? hell no it takes time to learn everything so the sooner you get playin the sooner you'll be shreddin.
Last edited by xXMetal-HeadXx at Dec 2, 2008,
Quote by Sumlover41

Yeah and there are only 4 bassists in the world... according to Bassists are special breeds.
Actually, where I come from, people are lazy and all learn bass. There are three people including me who play guitar in my school...

Learn both. Just pick one to start on first and get the other later.
Its funny because many guitarists think bass is boring. And bassists think guitar is harder. Really they are about even. I think guitar is hard to learn at first, while bass is quite easy. But in the end they are about even.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Just like guitar, the person learning makes it as easy or as hard as they want.

And boring? Barely.

EDIT: ^How is learning bass lazy exactly?

I never said learning bass is lazy. I said the people who learn it are lazy. Because people commonly think bass is easier due to the fact that they have only 4 strings.
Quote by acade365

Boring? Only if you make it boring.

Hmm, I guess I'll say get the bass first, and you can always get a guitar later.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
The thing is, I like the way both guitar and bass sound. Maybe I should just start off with a guitar. And once I master a guitar, I'll move onto a bass.

Thanks a lot guys!
Haha, you can never really master any instrument.

But awesome choice guitar rocks! So does bass, but... yeah...
Quote by GymboJones

Ok maybe not "master" but actually sound good
Still, your looking at 10+ years there to get decent. It really just depends on how much you practice though.
TS You said that you were leaning towards bass.
Why?
Why not go with your gut if you are?

I personally would tell you to go with Bass if you're leaning towards it already.

There are a lot of stereotypes that people throw down like "there are too many guitarists," "bass is so easy," "guitar has too many strings," "bass is so boring to write riffs with." You have to ignore these and go with what feels best for you. Go to a store and just fiddle with both instruments. Even if you can't actually play a song, press the strings. Just feel each instrument and you'll know which you prefer.
Ibanez SR505

EBS MultiComp
BOSS GEB-7

Ampeg SVT 4-Pro
Ampeg SVT 810E
go with what you feel like and if you change you can always learn the other as well knowing that much more
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Quote by acade365

Bass is only easier in the beginning. Go tell Flea or Les Claypool its easier.

I play bass, I'm assuming you play guitar. I say we deterimine which one is harder with a thumb war, because I promise my fingers are way stronger than yours.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

If I can't masturbate to childrens cartoons then this country isn't great.
Quote by GymboJones

You can.

If you are still alive.
Quote by Nyamaki
Oh, I don't know!

I REALLY like both!

Well honestly, I would say start with guitar. It will help build finger strength and dexterity faster than a bass will at first. Then after you got the hang of guitar, learn bass.

Its your decision though, all we here can give are our own opinions. Maybe you could go rent them first. And play around with both before you make up your mind.
Learn both man. Start out with the one you like best and if you enjoy it try picking up the other down the road and see if you have as much fun with it.
play both dont just play one instrument. And about mastering the guitar, good luck on that :p it'll take YEARS just to become good, then comes skilled, then psycho and then the guys who have been playing for several decades, and they can still be taught a thing or two. :P

Play both.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Quote by CliffIsAngry
play both dont just play one instrument. And about mastering the guitar, good luck on that :p it'll take YEARS just to become good, then comes skilled, then psycho and then the guys who have been playing for several decades, and they can still be taught a thing or two. :P

Play both.

Bass is a bit like that, but the first stages (playing a simple bass line) come quicker, and mastering takes far longer.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Guitar

Dude i was the same as you i wanted to play an instrament it came down to guitar and bass. I love cool basslines like flea and claypool. Soo i got a squier bass for real cheap i jamed with my friends and saw how much fun my friends were having with there guitars so i switched over to guitar i always thought it was so much harder but come to find out its really not but im glad i had the bass expierence and still have it cuz now i hear a bass line and im like i gotta learn that.

I can.

Go guitar pick up bass in like a year