Hello again UG

after a thread posted a couple of days ago in a blind fit of rage at Gibson I have somewhat calmed down and are now considering other possibilities rather than the head of Gibson's owner on a plate.

As the title of the thread suggests, I am having difficulty choosing between an ESP EC-1000 in Vintage Black and a Charvel So Cal Style 1 2H.

ESP EC-1000
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=06013012392129

Advantages
-24 Frets
-Looks
-Set neck

Disadvantages
-EMG Pickups (would replace these but want to put the pickups I've replaced into my Schecter, so Blackouts for EMGs isn't great)
-Neck felt kinda grainy
-Singlecut so fret access isn't fantastic

Charvel So Cal Style 1 2H
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=08081316131338

Advantages
-Scratchplate so I can install upgrades without drills or replacing with push/pulls
-Neck is fantastic
-Dimarzio's (happy replacements is my Schecter)

Disadvantages
-Floyd Rose (would have to block as I change tunings a lot)
-22 Frets
-Bolt on

Having tried both of them I'm stumped

Does UG have any opinions?
Or any alternatives?

Cheers, Dopey

TL,DR - Help me decide between these two, or recommend another similar please
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Both of those guitars are completely different.

That's like comparing an apple to an orange.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Never said it was an easy choice to make
Quote by fleajr_1412

without knowing what kind of music you play

I would certainly take the EC

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
I have the EC-1000 in black and I love it. I've been using ESP for about 10 years now, and since my first guitar, I've only had one other brand which was an Ibanez Jem 7D. I ended up trading that straight up for an ESP KH2.

So, as for brands, I'd go with the ESP in a heartbeat. In fact, I've never heard of 'Charvel'.

How did the neck feel grainy? Mine is as smooth as glass. Maybe you played a secondhand one that someone didn't treat well.

Fret access is phenominal all the way for me. A doublecut body doesn't really change that in my opinion.
sorry forgot to mention

rock, metal, classical and prog (rock and metal)
Quote by fleajr_1412

Quote by syntheticocean
I have the EC-1000 in black and I love it. I've been using ESP for about 10 years now, and since my first guitar, I've only had one other brand which was an Ibanez Jem 7D. I ended up trading that straight up for an ESP KH2.

So, as for brands, I'd go with the ESP in a heartbeat. In fact, I've never heard of 'Charvel'.

How did the neck feel grainy? Mine is as smooth as glass. Maybe you played a secondhand one that someone didn't treat well.

Fret access is phenominal all the way for me. A doublecut body doesn't really change that in my opinion.

the finish just felt kinda sandy......... it's really hard to describe

and it was new

just felt odd maybe I was having a really picky day
Quote by fleajr_1412

i'd choose the charvel over the ESP LTD any day because it has an custom feel to it.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
whats wrong bout bolt on necks man, if done correctly thei aree great
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
I'd have the LTD in a heartbeat - just look at the thing!!!!!
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
im all about esp compared to charvel. not to say the charvel is bad, it is probly pretty good, but i like esps a lot from personal experience
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

fender mexican fat strat (discontinued)
mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
Not to mention, if your changing tunings a lot, steer clear of floyd rose. They're great in one tuning, but once you start changing tunings they need to be straightened up all the time.
Quote by syntheticocean
Not to mention, if your changing tunings a lot, steer clear of floyd rose. They're great in one tuning, but once you start changing tunings they need to be straightened up all the time.

that was 1 of the disadvantages

but if i eventually decided on it i'd block it anyway
Quote by fleajr_1412

I have an ESP Ltd EC-1000 and it plays and sounds awesome, haven't played the other guitar tho but like the guys above said they are totally different guitars.
Let's see.................. a Korean made Les Paul copy with allllllllllllll the bells and whistles you can imagine, or an American made super strat?

The Charvel is one helluva bargain in my mind.
Have the Floyd blocked like you said and wear the frets out!
id take the carvel. i love my ec-1000 but it just doesnt put out that les paul sound. the body is only 1.5 inches thick while a les paul is ~2.75. the tone suffers from the lack of wood and balls.

at least you'll get a real superstrat sound with the charvel

edit: 22 frets isnt really a disadvantage. i hardly ever use my 24th fret. i find myself bending the 22nd fret more.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Charvel, but then again I'm more partial to super strats...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
So it's safe to assume that I'm the only one who has never heard of charvel. I thought they made ice cream cakes! :-D
Quote by maiden_mexico
id take the carvel. i love my ec-1000 but it just doesnt put out that les paul sound. the body is only 1.5 inches thick while a les paul is ~2.75. the tone suffers from the lack of wood and balls.

Hate to say it, but all the LP's Ive seen are 2 inches thick.

Anyways, those are very different guitars. I would personally go with the LTD because the ones I've played were amazing. And i've never head of Charvel. American made doesn't necisaraly mean better.

That Charvel is the secks. I have never seen or played that guitar, but it looks like it would put my Jackson DK2m to shame. I have played around with the ec series from ltd, and there good guitars as well. But if you want a shredder, I wouldn't pick it over that Charvel.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Never heard of Charvel? Bet you never heard of Eddie Van Halen either...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
im not sure of the exact numbers, but my friend is building a les paul and i know that a real les paul is around an entire inch thicker than my EC-1000. its the thickness point im tryin to make.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo