Page 1 of 2
I am getting a new amp and have narrowed it down to two i think. What do you think is a better amp - Roland Cube 30 or Line 6 Spider III 30?
cube

/thread

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Vypyr 30. IMO, it's a better amp. The line 6 spider series is crap, don't even consider it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
MG100HDFX, you can really saturate the tubes with a halfstack.

but seriously Cube or Vypyr

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Get a Vypry 30w if you can. Cube is just about as good in my opinion. Stay away from Spiders though.
Quote by Joe_Crow
What about the marshall dfx 30? And what make the cube better?

lol at how he tried to sneak this in here by leaving MG out of the MGDFX.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by oneblackened
Vypyr 30. IMO, it's a better amp. The line 6 spider series is crap, don't even consider it.

vypyr vs. cube. since i own the cube i can say that it is a great amp for the price. but i did try to buy a vypyr amp and the lil **** backed out on me so i got the cube. so if you got one of those 2 youd be happy with those im sure. if your playing metal-classic rock- blues
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
Out of the 2 listed I vote Cube but you should give the Vypyrs a try too. I've got one and they're great amps for the money.

^+1 the cubes pwn the spiders, but the vypyrs are the "new thing" so you oughta check one out
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Here's a better question - what is the best amp to get for someone on a 30 Watt budget, who likes playing a lot of metal but also a bit clean folky stuff?
Quote by Joe_Crow
Here's a better question - what is the best amp to get for someone on a 30 Watt budget, who likes playing a lot of metal but also a bit clean folky stuff?

On a 30 watt budget? How about in some form of currency?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Does anyone have a watts-to-dollars converter?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
watts to dollars? what ever happened to the idea of a watts to decibels converter?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
cube/vypyr is the way to go then, they're fun little practice amps. valvetronix isn't bad either. play em and decide for yourself, shouldn't be hard to find unless you live in the middle of the outback. or antarctica.

if you wanted tube, you could get one of the $200 crates, but those aren't great quality stock, you would probably want to invest in new tubes anyway and that would go over the budget.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
vypyr 30. very top of your price range but damn, it's worth it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I am getting a new amp (30 watt) with about £140/$220 to spend. Does anyone have any suggestions. I was thinking mabye a Roland Cube 30, Line 6 Spider III 30 or mabye a marshall mgdfx30? I like playing metal a lot but want to be able to play a really good clean sound, so a versatile amp.

What do you suggest?
Quote by Joe_Crow
I am getting a new amp (30 watt) with about £140/$220 to spend. Does anyone have any suggestions. I was thinking mabye a Roland Cube 30, Line 6 Spider III 30 or mabye a marshall mgdfx30? I like playing metal a lot but want to be able to play a really good clean sound, so a versatile amp.

What do you suggest?

still the cube.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
check out the Vypyr, I'm looking at the Vypyr 30 for myself as a practice/recording amp to keep with me while I'm at school (can't bring the JTM45 to my apt. my neighbors/roommate would kill me! plus all the effects and gadgets are nice)

i'm a little bit suspicious though of the reliability of a $200 amp with a fancy computer chip. Especially with that LED setup, I'm just waiting to hear some first hand accounts on the amp's reliability before I bite the bullet. I think they sound great though, especially for the price.
Quote by al112987
check out the Vypyr, I'm looking at the Vypyr 30 for myself as a practice/recording amp to keep with me while I'm at school (can't bring the JTM45 to my apt. my neighbors/roommate would kill me! plus all the effects and gadgets are nice)

i'm a little bit suspicious though of the reliability of a $200 amp with a fancy computer chip. Especially with that LED setup, I'm just waiting to hear some first hand accounts on the amp's reliability before I bite the bullet. I think they sound great though, especially for the price.

I own a vypyr 75; I can say that sometimes it doesn't boot quite right but just flick it off then on a few times at most and it's fine.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
regardless. Were the amp's not just released a few months ago? To me that's hardly enough time to make serious evaluations about it's long time reliability. Idk, it depends I guess on whether you are consistently gigging or just using the amp for home practice/recording, etc.
Quote by oneblackened
I own a vypyr 75; I can say that sometimes it doesn't boot quite right but just flick it off then on a few times at most and it's fine.

Sounds like a winner
Long term reliability is the question mark that the vypyr has yet to answer. The cubes have stood up quite well over time. I am not saying the vypyr won't - it's just yet to be proven. I liked the vypyr when I tried it, but that was the baby 15 wattr.
Quote by al112987

Most of the problems I've heard about have been with the 75. I have a 30 and I have not had any problems with it. Everytime I flip the switch it starts right up. I think they're able to sell them so cheap because they use cheap speakers (Peavey Blue Marvel). I use a Celestion G12K-85 with mine and it sounds even better. If you like how it sounds with the stock speaker you'll love it with a good quality speaker in it.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
Most of the problems I've heard about have been with the 75. I have a 30 and I have not had any problems with it. Everytime I flip the switch it starts right up. I think they're able to sell them so cheap because they use cheap speakers (Peavey Blue Marvel). I use a Celestion G12K-85 with mine and it sounds even better. If you like how it sounds with the stock speaker you'll love it with a good quality speaker in it.

I played a Line 6 Spider III 75W in guitar center and it sounded better than the tones on my Roland Cube 60, at least distortion wise (I used the 311, Metal, Insane and Killswitch presets). I don't understand why people hate them, other than the fact that I hear most of them don't last long.

Why exactly are they so hated?
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Quote by zakkwyldefan79

Really? I'll have to save up for a decent speaker now then. Also, what goes wrong with the 75?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
Also, what goes wrong with the 75?

A couple people in HC forums have had issues with them cutting out completely. One poor s.o.b. was in mid gig when it happened. I believe they were both the 75 watt version.
Well, I won't be playing gigs for a while so...
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by Thebiz
I played a Line 6 Spider III 75W in guitar center and it sounded better than the tones on my Roland Cube 60, at least distortion wise (I used the 311, Metal, Insane and Killswitch presets). I don't understand why people hate them, other than the fact that I hear most of them don't last long.

Why exactly are they so hated?

Because they sound terrible The tone is just so fizzy and digital, especially on the higher gain presets.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by oneblackened
Well, I won't be playing gigs for a while so...

When you play on real tube amps, you will start to understand why spiders are bad.

At first, the 75w is o lawd good, because going from a 8 inch speaker to 12 inch speaker makes it sound great. When you play with the presets its all fun and stuff like that too. Then you listen some good amps.

You begin to realize how "digital" sounding it is. Thats all SS and modeling amps do are try to "copy" tube sounds. Does 311, slipknot, or any of the other bands that the spider has presets of use spiders or any other SS amps? No, they use tubes. There's a reason. You may ask then why arent the cubes or vypyrs bad? Play them, side by side by side, and you will learn yourself.
When did oneblackend say he thought spiders were good? *cough* read his sig *cough*
Quote by oneblackened
I own a Vypyr 75; I can say that sometimes it doesn't boot quite right but just flick it off then on a few times at most and it's fine.
Also, what goes wrong with the 75?

Like you said sometimes the 75's don't boot up right and sometimes they won't boot up at all. Sometimes they quit working while you're playing. I'm sure Peavey will fix these issues but they can be annoying. The Vypyrs are good sounding amps though.
Quote by Necrophagist777
Because they sound terrible The tone is just so fizzy and digital, especially on the higher gain presets.

They are not that bad. The only reason people here don't like them is because there are other modeling amps for the same price, but sound much better. Really, all SS amps sound bad compared to tubes though.
Page 1 of 2