Page 1 of 4
I have to do one of these, I haven't been posting recently but these threads seem pretty cool..

so here's what its gonna be.

Strat

Curly Spanish Cedar Top
Poplar Back
Rosewood fretboard
maple neck
hardware taken off of some crappy neckthrough i built a while back.
i think the hardware is gfs

Wood costs
Curly Spanish Cedar top 6$
Poplar back 10$
Rosewood Fretboard 2$
maple neck: unknown maybe 2$?
Hardware
Bridge 10$
HBs 50$
Tuners 20$
electronics 10$
misc hardware 15$
Truss 15$

total:141$

pics to come when resawing is done.
This seems like a cool idea. A bit hard tho, what with the economies and stuff, but a good idea nonetheless. Shows you dont have to spend $700 or so on a custom guitar.
wow, you get your wood cheap, freindly at the local lumber yard?
wish I could get wood that cheap
hehe, less than 90 dollars for enough curly spanish cedar to make 15 or more tops (this stuff is absolutely incredible, i wouldnt sell it to someone i dont know for less than 75-100 a top.)

The top is gonna be carved and bound with black plastic, the back will be painted white.

pics of the blanks in a few minutes..
I f**king hate you lol that wood is far too cheap!!!

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
90 dollars for enough boards to make around 15 tops so yea 6$ the figure is absolutely incredible, i love it. Curly spanish cedar like this is pretty rare from what I understand.
Carousel you lucky bastard !

This build just might top Invader Jims walnut. (Naw.. Jim is a god, but it will be a tie for 1st I bet!)

Looking amazing so far.

Join the group in my sig!
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.

once i get my truss ill finish this up... for one reason or another I like to wait until my neck is completed to do any routing.
Understandable...

Probably easier to make sure it's a tight fit when you have the neck and can rout to the neck's dimensions instead of having to compensate the neck for the pocket's dimensions... and while the router's out, may as well do some cavities!
------

Shwiggity.
yeaa, the way i do my neck pockets basically insures a tight fit every time.. I don't use a router.. I use forstner bits and chisels, It's the best method i think for getting your neck on the straightest with the best fitting pocket. I've routed pockets before several times bu my favorite method remains the forstner bit chisel method. Routing out pickups on the other hand, that is a job for the router, it just looks sloppy with the forstner.
everyone has there preferences

You should seriously think about selling that wood on UG/ ebay you will get so much more for it than what you paid for it, plus it looks beautiful
You're bringing sexy back

YEAH!

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Hmmm since i have nothing else to update you guys on, my stewmac order shipped today.

I got an airbrush, a truss rod, pearl dots and black binding.

airbrush is just for touchup work, possibly for spraying small designs or bursts, who knows.
Hot damn... that's a beautiful top. So beautiful that I actually just said hot damn. WTF.
Gear:
Schecter Stiletto Custom-5
Epiphone SG; EMG 85/81 pups
Schecter 006 Deluxe; SD Duncan Distortion Pups

the maple is sanded not planed so you cant see the curl too good, but the wood really does have nice figure, the rosewood is pretty plane grained, looks nice though.
did you make that vacuum yourself?

also, this is looking niceeeee
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
a vacuum press is just another clamping method. instead of using clamps it takes all of the air out of the bag until the pressure is high which causes the two pieces of wood to clamp together... its useful for droptops and veneers.
why waste enough flame maple for three fingerboards haha?

edit: the whole thing has very nice consistent flame throughout you just cant see it cause i sanded instead of planed it, the overhead sander is a much better tool to use when dealing with figured woods. sunday I'll have more updates, I'm gonna be gone the entire day tomorrow until late.
ohh good idea with the fretboards
I was going to buy some tops of ormsby or something and use the left over bits for fretboards, but you have beaten me to it and now ormsby is selling flamed and quilted maple fretboards, so he beat me to it too
Bro0talz ftw!

I imagine a vacuum press is much more even than an clamping method could ever be.

btw carousel (whats your real name?) when you say 'over head sander' do you mean drum sander?

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
My real name is John.

Yeaa overhead sander is just another name for drum sander, I've heard it called both but most people probably don't know what a drum sander is so if i say overhead sander its a little bit self explanatory

The reason the vacuum press isn't used for this is that its harder to line up the centerlines when putting it in the vacuum press, and I really dont like using dowels to keep my fretboard in place.
Page 1 of 4