Page 1 of 3
One of the slogans for Breast Cancer Research, as I recently saw, was "It's a girl thing..."

Now, dudes get breast cancer as well.
Not as much, but we still get it.

So surely the slogan is a bit ignorant?
What I just said is a lie.
If anything, it's putting out the idea that only women get breast cancer, resulting in men not getting themselves checked out if they find a lump.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Jim Davidson is a Little Sexist.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Don't look for sexism when it doesn't exist.

That's the main reason why it still exists.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
It seems a bit irresponsible as it'll make men less aware that they cn get it.

It'd be like calling Heart disease a guy thing.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by rabidguitarist
If anything, it's putting out the idea that only women get breast cancer, resulting in men not getting themselves checked out if they find a lump.

Yeah, in extreme examples, it could strengthens the stereotype that only women get it, so it could cause some guy a lot of suffering
If women are hermaphrodites and don't know it they can get testicular cancer....saw it on house
Quote by Union Jake

So anyway, now i'm here feeling rather dirty knowing that I just sat in a room with 3 other guys having a wank. I had to get it off my chest
Quote by fenderfreak101
Youre mom should have used the coat hanger to abort you as a fetus.

Douche bag.
Quote by hownowbrowncow
One of the slogans for Breast Cancer Research, as I recently saw, was "It's a girl thing..."

Now, dudes get breast cancer as well.
Not as much, but we still get it.

So surely the slogan is a bit ignorant?

this sounds like it might cause men to ignore the whole cause. which is not good for the research. plus, the slogan makes it sound like women are proud to have a disease which is (almost) unique to them.

kinda wierd.

zepEDIT: oh, and a slogan con't be ignorant - the people who wrote the slogan can be ignorant
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Quote by freedoms_stain
We don't have breasts to lose.

It can kill you...
Quote by freedoms_stain

And? It can still kill you.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by freedoms_stain

Which would be fine if cancer didn't have that horrible habit of spreading. Men need to be aware that they can get it too. Just as women have to be aware of heart disease.

Quote by ccam555
Testicular cancer, you mean.

No because testicular cancer IS a guy thing.
I said heart disease because it's a thing that predominately affects males but can also affect women. I wasn't suggesting the ratio was the same as here though.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Just Andrew
Don't look for sexism when it doesn't exist.

That's the main reason why it still exists.

shut up! thats such a manly thing to so!

you male supremicists!
/being a crazy woman.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by ccam555
Testicular cancer, you mean.

no, because women can't get testicular cancer.
the point is men CAN get breast cancer, but slogans like this stop us checking
Quote by will123456789
shut up! thats such a manly thing to so!

you male supremicists!
/being a crazy woman.
Yeah, there's that too
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Quote by hownowbrowncow
It can kill you...
So? Having breast cancer still means more to women than it does to men because the disfigurement from a breast amputation is much more severe than losing that moob you didn't want anyway.
i don't get what the slogan is even trying to suggest. are they saying that only women can be apart of this 'elite club' ? i don't know if that's something to be proud of. breast cancer = not good.
That's not a good slogan. When someone says, "it's a girl thing" I think, "Oh, some stupid bullshit that doesn't matter." and walk away. With that slogan, they are misrepresenting a terrible affliction as stupid shit that doesn't matter. That's very bad.

It's just a stupid slogan in general. It doesn't say anything at all.
Quote by freedoms_stain
So? Having breast cancer still means more to women than it does to men because the disfigurement from a breast amputation is much more severe than losing that moob you didn't want anyway.

But the point is that this advertising campaign means that some men could let it develop without getting any treatment.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by freedoms_stain

but it can still kill you.......

disfigurement > death
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Dude, sometimes you should be really happy to feel excluded.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by hownowbrowncow
no, because women can't get testicular cancer.
the point is men CAN get breast cancer, but slogans like this stop us checking

No its what he said. He said heart disese could be a guy thing but it clearly is not. Cancer in your gigglybits is a guy thing.
Quote by freedoms_stain

But if we don't check we potentially can die. Even so, you wouldn't want a disfigured moob would you? it may be more traumatic for a women, but it would still suck to have an amputated breast!
Quote by hownowbrowncow
But if we don't check we potentially can die. Even so, you wouldn't want a disfigured moob would you? it may be more traumatic for a women, but it would still suck to have an amputated breast!

If you're dumb enough to get your knowledge of science on t-shirts and bumperstickers, then the slogan isn't the problem.

Just saying.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
If you're dumb enough to get your knowledge of science on t-shirts and bumperstickers, then the slogan isn't the problem.

Just saying.

Ok, i don't know everything about breast cancer; but I did know guys can get it, and I thought the slogan would be pretty misleading
If we were talking about a disease or affliction that only rarely occurs in women but often in men, they used a slogan like, "It's a guy thing" and overlooked the few women who suffer from it there would be outrage.

There is much sexism against men but it's consider ok, normal and not a problem.

making a fuss over a slogan is dumb though.
Quote by hownowbrowncow
Breast tumours are more easily detectible in males because we only have a tiny amount of breast material.

Breast cancer is caught in men more often because it basically gives you a horrible swollen tit that's hard to miss, women have far more breast tissue for the tumour to hide in necessitating awereness.
thats not really sexism, but it is a terrible slogan,
Treffelin pretty much said it right, making a horrible disease into somethng that casual, you really shouldn't draw your slogans for something this serious from the back of a cheerleading t-shirt

I didn't know men could get breast cancer, Is it only in larger men who have man boobs, or is it just skin cancer that happens to occur on your chest?

edit: nevermind about question, post above me pretty much covered it
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by Cato_60
If women are hermaphrodites and don't know it they can get testicular cancer....saw it on house

Since when are shows on FOX a reliable source of knowledge?
PSN: snakeXdoctor

Quote by OneOfTheseDays
My friends cat smokes, wears a leather jacket and swears at me when i look at it.He is really fat so it makes it even more funny.
Quote by NuSiK
Since when are shows on FOX a reliable source of knowledge?

Does make sense technically. They do have testicles, even though there are not descended. They can still get cancer there. They are actually males genetically though.
Quote by hownowbrowncow
Ok, i don't know everything about breast cancer; but I did know guys can get it, and I thought the slogan would be pretty misleading

I wasn't talking about you in particular. I'm talking about the morons who learn that family history plays a part in cancer, and because no one in their family has ever had cancer, they think it's okay to smoke twelve packs of cigarettes a day. There is no sympathy out of me.

I know a guy who looks at the moon and thinks it doesn't rotate because he always sees the same side of the moon. Now, if he doesn't listen to me and bases his entire argument on flawed information because he didn't learn anything about it, which is his own fault, he can't blame astrologists.

Besides, sometimes males have blood coming from their genitals. But that is still a girl thing.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Trefellin
Does make sense technically. They do have testicles, even though there are not descended. They can still get cancer there. They are actually males genetically though.

Yeah, but realistically the odds of having a women, who is actually a hermaphrodite, but has hidden testes, which develop cancer is pretty low.

I don't think it's a valid argument really.
Page 1 of 3