Ok, so my mom and I just made Таратор(tarator), a Bulgarian cold summer soup, and it tastes FANTASTIC!! You have to get used to the fact that 3/4 of it is made up of cucumber, but it is pretty good. My mom says it tastes similar to a cucumber salad her Polish grandmother made a lot.

Now the point of this thread: Do any of you have family recipes passed down that are part of a certain culture or group(like this soup is Slavic)?
Hold the Heathen hammer high!
We make crepes here... those are french.
Quote by Mattron2000
Shadowenspirit,
Developmental Tamer.
Shadowenspirit,
Ancient Sandwich Crafter

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.

-Voltaire

So it is written.
Well my mom learned a lot of the things he knows about cooking from my grandmother, which is awesome because my grandmother worked in a bakery for years.

Only instead of the recipes getting diluted over the generations, they just keep getting better. My kids will make orgasmic food.

Talk about good pies at thanksgiving!
Quote by Altoidwithmelon
Hambonicus, that was epic with a side of win

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

Proud member of the "I don't believe in global warming clan".
Most bulgarian food is delicious, try Banitsa (i think thats how you spell it) - its one of the nicest things you will ever eat - its like eggy bread with fruit in the middle, glazed with honey, and dipped in syrup or yoghurt it tastes godly =]
Quote by IEatOrphans
Is the polish cucumber dish your referring to by any chance called "miseria"?

I asked my mom, and she says she cannot remember. -shrugs- There is a good chance that it is though
Quote by gingerface
Most bulgarian food is delicious, try Banitsa (i think thats how you spell it) - its one of the nicest things you will ever eat - its like eggy bread with fruit in the middle, glazed with honey, and dipped in syrup or yoghurt it tastes godly =]

Sorry for double post Баница, hm.. I will look for the recipe
nope.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by IEatOrphans
Is the polish cucumber dish your referring to by any chance called "miseria"?

my grandmother makes this. so good...
the below is true
-----------------------
the above is false
Jiggs dinner
Quote by Bill43

I wouldn't know an Opeth song from an Egg McMuffin
Quote by CoreysMonster
YES

my mother's mexican.

Name me a Mexican dish, and I can whip it up within 1 hour or your money back!

Ooo! Ooo!
Can you cook chile con carne?
Not really passed down or anything, but my mom makes this zucchini bread every month and it tastes godly.
Quote by SoWrongItsMatt
Pizza. It's Italian. w00t w00t!

Actually, it was invented in New York.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Actually Tarator is awesome. It ain't a soup imo. It's just little cubes cucumber putted into yoghurt mixed with water. It's fresh, healthy and PWNSOME!

Greatings From BULGARIA!
If you can read this... you can read!

Quote by Fat Lard
    I like semen, so what?
    Quote by -February-Star-

You gotta be shitting me!
    It may have not been called anywhere else at anytime before that, but it was eaten since the Roman times, correct me if im wrong.
    Quote by shelovemyguitar
    In québec we have ''Poutine''. You know it's fries, cheese and a sort of sauce...

D'la bonne Poutine! (Fixed)
    Best food ever made by man.
    funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
    before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
    My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
    Get To Da Choppa!
    Last edited by DirtyMakik at Dec 2, 2008,
    Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
    You gotta be shitting me!
    It may have not been called anywhere else at anytime before that, but it was eaten since the Roman times, correct me if im wrong.

Seems I was somewhat wrong, the concept of pizza was originally from Naples, but the inventors emigrated to New York. It was invented in 1889.
    Quote by buckethead_jr
    ^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
    Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
    pizza is, from what I've heard, a traditional dish in many meditarranean countries, even turkey. the idea is basically putting leftovers on a flat bread, then baking it.
    Quote by CoreysMonster
    YES

my mother's mexican.

American mexican or real mexican? If you've ever been to Mexico, you'll know American mexican food is way different then actual mexican food. If you're living in MX, I doubt you've ever heard of some of the stuff we call mexican.

If you're talking american mexican, I challenge your mom to Fajitas.

If actual mexican food, I challenge her to Barbacoa.

Get it to me in under 30 min, or else no tip.

we have a gravy recipe that we pass down, but I don't know if thats from our heritage.
    Last edited by mepmep at Dec 2, 2008,
    Quote by mepmep
    American mexican or real mexican? If you've ever been to Mexico, you'll know American mexican food is way different then actual mexican food. If you're living in MX, I doubt you've ever heard of some of the stuff we call mexican.

If you're talking american mexican, I challenge your mom to Fajitas.

If actual mexican food, I challenge her to Barbacoa.

Get it to me in under 30 min, or else no tip.

with Frijoles or Maguey leaves?

EDIT: she lived both in texas and mexico for many years, so she can do everything.

me, I'm more into the Tex-Mex style.
    Quote by CoreysMonster

EDIT: she lived both in texas and mexico for many years, so she can do everything.

Your mom is my hero. Perferibly Maguey.
    Quote by Hambonicus
    Well my mom learned a lot of the things he knows about cooking from my grandmother, which is awesome because my grandmother worked in a bakery for years.

I believe you have more to worry about than food. Must be an interesting family dynamic... calling a male Mom and all.

My mom makes this thing she calls "Jonis's chicken." I have no idea how its made, but its orgasmic.
    Quote by CoreysMonster

Can she fly too?

Just asked mother, our family recipe is Spaghetti Bolognese...
    Very regional for southern england I think.
    Quote by -February-Star-

i hope you know most of New York was italian back then so it was probably italians that made the modern pizza. in italy they make the "old school" pizza by making it with three or four slices of cheese (with maybe some parsley or basil) on top of the tomato sauce which covers flat bread and they put it in the oven. how do i know this 1. im italian 2. history channel
    Quote by nincompoop
    potcorn56, you are a god.
    My grandmother was brought up in Yorkshire and there's a cake made there called Parkin which is HEAVEN!!! Basically it's a heavy cake with loads of ginger and oats in it.

Yummy.
    Quote by CoreysMonster
    YES

my mother's mexican.

bull****, I would love to see you cook me some posole in 1 hour. My mom is mexican also, and I'm a beast at cooking, but theres no way in ****ing hell you can cook posole in an hour.
    Quote by candysars
    Thank you Jesusaurus.
    Quote by strat07
    Actually Tarator is awesome. It ain't a soup imo. It's just little cubes cucumber putted into yoghurt mixed with water. It's fresh, healthy and PWNSOME!

Greatings From BULGARIA!

I can't believe there is actually a person from Bulgaria on here! Как сте? Is Bulgaria nice? We also had dil on our Tarator.