Played the new RG guitar, the SV guitar and all the high end $1200+ ibanez guitars at GC (only place that sells them around here) and they all felt great, except the sound lacked so much and i know its because of the pickups. Its also rather dissatisfying that a $1400 guitar is made in Korea, and i could feel from the loose knobs and pickups that it wasn't a high quality build. So anyway, here i am looking for a guitar, with 24 frets, HSH configuration, and a floyd rose. Preferably, made in Japan. Im looking for a Satriani, Petrucci tone. I guess that makes this a "what guitar should i buy?" thread..
....The pickups are normally great? just get some differen't P/UPS like some freds or joes from dimarzios if you want the satch tone.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
The 24 fret S series are made in Japan, not Korea.

Also, the pickups aren't nearly as important as the amp and the way it's EQ'ed. With that said, the DiMarzio/IBZ pickups are fine.

No, they're not too exciting, but they're not bad either.

I will agree with you on the electronics. Like many other brands Ibanez tends to favor cheap electronics (pot meters and switches). It will cost you a few tenners to replace them with quality parts, but it is annoying.

If you like the way Ibanez guitars play, why not just swap out the pickups if you don't like them?
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
i always thought it was because there isnt much point putting high end pickups in a high end guitar, if its quite likely that they will be changed to the type of pickups the player prefers. thereby your saving money on paying for the pickups in addtion to the cost of the guitar when they may well not be something you want. gives you more options
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Quote by chimpinatux
i always thought it was because there isnt much point putting high end pickups in a high end guitar, if its quite likely that they will be changed to the type of pickups the player prefers. thereby your saving money on paying for the pickups in addtion to the cost of the guitar when they may well not be something you want. gives you more options

I always thought the same. I see many people getting high end guitars but with high quality pickups, and they swap them out because ___ pickups are their preference.
Quote by steven seagull
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
+1

You should always listen to this bird-man-woman-thing.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

What the fuck man!? That's SWEET

I think I might actually use that!

ah, i've got to try out the S prestige. They only had this SV prestige :
http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=SV5470F

I had it properly set up through a JSX..there was just something about the sound that seemed a little synthetic..especially through the lead channel. I really do not like my local guitar center though, so i'll try another one thats farther away soon. But anyway, going back to my first post, does anyone have any guitars from other brands than Ibanez that fit those specifications?
lol crap pickups in high end guitars?
I think you meant bridges... they should put a limit that all guitars over £200 should NOT HAVE A DAMNED EDGE III TREMOLO DAMNIT. That sucks major balls.
I now have to save up to 600 just to get a decent guitar with an edge zero.

Damn you ibanez, but i still love you xxxx
Quote by BackDoorEntry
lol crap pickups in high end guitars?
I think you meant bridges... they should put a limit that all guitars over £200 should NOT HAVE A DAMNED EDGE III TREMOLO DAMNIT. That sucks major balls.
I now have to save up to 600 just to get a decent guitar with an edge zero.

Damn you ibanez, but i still love you xxxx

The cheapest guitar with Edge Zero is the RG2550Z, but the Edge Pro equipped RG1570 is a pretty damn good guitar, too. Otherwise, check out the ZR on the S series.

The Edge III may be a bad trem, but it's not that terrible and besides, it's hard to find a cheap guitar with a decent trem anyway.

Also, if they'd stick high quality trems on lower end instruments, they'd probably see a decline in sales for their Prestige line.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
The cheapest guitar with Edge Zero is the RG2550Z, but the Edge Pro equipped RG1570 is a pretty damn good guitar, too. Otherwise, check out the ZR on the S series.

The Edge III may be a bad trem, but it's not that terrible and besides, it's hard to find a cheap guitar with a decent trem anyway.

Also, if they'd stick high quality trems on lower end instruments, they'd probably see a decline in sales for their Prestige line.

The cheapest edge zero is the ibanez rg2570z. Exactly same features, still a prestige, but its just cheaper.

And nooo ive got the cheapest guitar u can ever find, and it still lives perfectly on with 7months of whammy abuse and running....

Ibanez just didnt put quality in the edge 3
Quote by BackDoorEntry
The cheapest edge zero is the ibanez rg2570z. Exactly same features, still a prestige, but its just cheaper.

And nooo ive got the cheapest guitar u can ever find, and it still lives perfectly on with 7months of whammy abuse and running....

Ibanez just didnt put quality in the edge 3

GC sells them for the same price, although that's probably not too relevant seeing as you listed your budget in pounds.

By the way, what exactly tells you that the Edge III won't last a few months? A lot of posts regarding the Edge III are pretty one sided and uninformed. I'm not trying say that the Edge III is a good trem, but the Edge III bashing seems to have gotten a little out of hand.
I've never been fussed by the hardware in Ibanezes to be honest, but that doesn't mean they're bad. Just a little underwhelming. I prefer Duncans anyhow and they are few and far between on Ibbies.
I think their pickups are a lot like their bridges actually. There are some people that love them, some that hate them, some that think they're the best in the world and some who think they're just cheap compared to other hardware like an OFR.
But I've never played an Ibanez that's hadware I thought was appalling at its price. I'm just not sure a prestige offers me anything that I want.
Gear:
Washburn X-40 Pro
Washburn X-40
Yamaha RGX 320s custom (with Duncans)
Ibanez GRG 170DX
Yamaha Pacfica 120V (lol)
Encore Strat pile of **** (mega lol)
Saving for new amp
I prefer the Edge Lo Pro bridge and Edge pro over the OFRs that are available.
The edge III bridge is a budget trem which works well for the price just the materials used for the knife edge is not first rate, thats how they can afford to put them on really cheap RG's. I'm just glad my S520EX has a ZR, no quality issues there.

And i am not a big fan of ibanez stock pickups. I swapped the INF1 in my S Series for an EMG 85.
My other Ibanez came with Dimarzio Paf Pro 7's which are awesome and the next ibby i am looking at will have no problems as it is a universe
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
I always thought even Ibanez's low end pups were pretty decent. I sometimes buy used Ibanez pups when people do a swap I like them myself.

I find no matter what the pups in a guitar if you experiment with the settings on your amp you can usually find a place where you like the sound.
i've never like the stock ibby pups since they were a brittle and lost tone when i'm at higher frets.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
pgm would be perfect but it has no floyd rose.

the only way you are gonna get a guitar that fits all your specs otherwise is to swap out the pickups. s5470 with paf pros and a true velvet might be a good choice. its made in japan btw.
Last edited by no_thing101 at Dec 2, 2008,
Quote by Bonsaischaap

I read somewhere that the only good Tremolo bars in production that Ibanez makes are the Edge Pro, Lo-Pro Edge, and Edge Pro II. Is this true? I've also heard the SynchroniZR is one of their worst bridges. Assuming this is true, wouldn't thier best guitar be the RG1570 and RG770DX?
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by V.U.K
I read somewhere that the only good Tremolo bars in production that Ibanez makes are the Edge Pro, Lo-Pro Edge, and Edge Pro II. Is this true? I've also heard the SynchroniZR is one of their worst bridges. Assuming this is true, wouldn't thier best guitar be the RG1570 and RG770DX?

Part of that is true.

On their current production models the great bridges are the Edge, the Edge Pro, the Double Edge, the Edge Zero and the ZR.

I haven't tried the ZR2 or the SynchroniZR, but I'm assuming they're pretty good, judging by the guitars they're installed in.

The Lo-Pro you mentioned is a great bridge, too.

A few ones to avoid are the Edge III, the Edge Pro II, the TRS and the ILT bridges.

NB: there are more Ibanez bridges out there.
Quote by beetroot10
i dont think they should be using basswood seriously ****est wood.

There's nothing wrong with basswood.

Like with any wood, there are different levels of quality; there are plenty of high end manufacturers who use it.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
There's nothing wrong with basswood.

Like with any wood, there are different levels of quality; there are plenty of high end manufacturers who use it.

it sounds so tinny though, imo RGs should come in mahogany (as an option EG. Bassword or mahognay) aswell there made for metal but you get like NO lows on it
Quote by beetroot10
there made for metal

They're not. RG stands for Rock Guitar, not Oobergooberbr00talz Metal Axe.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
they're cheaping out, it's as simple as that.

Schecter put Duncans and EMGs in plenty of their guitars, or at least 'Duncan Designed' which may be passive or active depending on model and aren't garbage. They also have OFR's, and are often cheaper than their Ibby counterparts.
Quote by yenners
they're cheaping out, it's as simple as that.

Schecter put Duncans and EMGs in plenty of their guitars, or at least 'Duncan Designed' which may be passive or active depending on model and aren't garbage. They also have OFR's, and are often cheaper than their Ibby counterparts.

-Duncan Designed are just as bad as regular stock pickups

-Not all Schecters come with an OFR. Also, Ibanez makes several high quality bridges which are just as good/better than OFRs

-When it comes to price, it depends which guitars you see as counterparts. A C-1 Hellraiser is $850, which is more expensive than an RG1570. Yes, the Hellraiser comes with better pickups, but that doesn't automatically make it a better deal

When it comes to Ibanez guitars, most of your money goes towards the basic guitar: the neck and body. This means that the electronics and pickups budget is a bit smaller, but these things are easily replaced.

Even on the cheaper models the necks are usually great. Sure, they may not have brand name pickups, but they play great, which in my opinion, is a lot more important.

When you get to the Prestige line, you can see the same thing. The RG1570 is a pretty basic instrument: a nice trem, great neck and good quality control. Your money goes towards the craftsmanship, rather than fancy inlays or amazing pickups.

When you get to Ibanez' top models, you will find all of those details, but with the appropriate price tag.

I'm not anti-Schecter and I don't consider myself an Ibanez fanboy, but to say they're "cheaping out" is just incorrect.
Quote by Green_Jelly
They're not. RG stands for Rock Guitar, not Oobergooberbr00talz Metal Axe.

Damnit xD. That was funny :')

My GRG had pretty decent pickups on it ^^.
I wish my S came with SDs in.
But, at least I can replace my pickups with exactly the sound I want.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by chimpinatux

+1

obviously, all things being equal, you'd prefer nicer pickups, but if the guitar cost another $300 because of nicer pickups... i'd just prefer them to skimp on the pickups so i could use that $300 to put in my own choice of pickups...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Bonsaischaap

agreed, but i still say that's extremely gippy.

Quote by yenners

yeah, korean-made OFRs...

at least when ibanez cheap out on the pickups, they admit that's what they're doing.

and duncan designeds aren't great either, as bonsaiischaap says.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Meh, Ibanez hardware is nothing exceptional but it certainly gets the job done well enough. INF pups are a little muddy but certainly don't sound too bad, all the trems except the edge III are really good tremolos, high quality, gd tuning stability...I'd rather pay £300 for an S320 and get a ZR trem than pay out of my arse for a guitar with an OFR on it.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
If you want a Petrucci tone, I say Evo Neck/Tone Zone bridge.

No, I'm not fanboy-ing or anything, but I get a really good tone from that, with both of those running together ( Mid position on 3 way switch)
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Quote by beetroot10
it sounds so tinny though, imo RGs should come in mahogany (as an option EG. Bassword or mahognay) aswell there made for metal but you get like NO lows on it

BS. Why did nobody BS this before me? Wood has a pretty minimal effect on tone.
No wood can sound tinny. If you think it sounds tinny, play it through a half decent amp and THEN tell me it sounds tinny.
John Suhr guitars use basswood. Suhr is NOT CHEAP.

On topic -
The Edge III isn't as bad as it could be, although the knife edges suck and the tuning stability should be better. It's really just an out of hand bandwagon, as with the Marshall MGs and Line 6 Spiders, which people seem to be realising aren't as bad as they're made out to be. Still crap, though.
For Satch, get one of the JS prestige models. For Petrucci, get his signature Music Man guitar. Simple. For something cheaper, find the guitar shape you like, find the right feeling neck, then find the cheapest model with a good trem. Then swap out he pickups as necessary.
Because half the people would switch them to whatever they prefer anyways.

Also basswood is not a bad tone wood. It's the most even sounding of all tone woods. It's great if you do a lot of soloing and need an even volume all around the fretboard. It's also very easy to affect with right pickups. It's not a bad tone wood just not one you (nor I actually) prefer.