Hey guys, just wondering,

If you're using a pod with an amp, you can plug it into the FX return on the amplifier to bypass the preamp so that the amplifier's preamp doesnt change the tone.

So.. yeah.. if i plugged the output of a Pod into the FX return on an amp... without having anything in the amp's main input jack... would that damage the amp or not?

or would i have to put the pod in the fx loop and play through the clean channel on the amp?
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
I think you can do that, but you'd have to be careful with your Pod's output level. Too low and you don't get a sound, too high and you'll get some power amp overdrive. Unless that's what you want of course.

I am not an expert though and simply sepculating, but I'd like to know more about this myself.

However, I can't think of any reasons why it should damage your amp.
Quote by PETERFKNPARKER
If you're using a pod with an amp, you can plug it into the FX return on the amplifier to bypass the preamp so that the amplifier's preamp doesnt change the tone.

Is this true? If so, I never knew this.

EDIT: I guess if your signal is going through the pod, and nothing is running through the main input in the amp...

EDIT2: Would this work for any preamp into any amp (with an effects loop)?
Last edited by Mathamology at Dec 2, 2008,
I regularly do this, actually it makes getting good tones from a pod easier
Guitars:

Ibanez SZ320
Ibanez RG450
Ibanez SC620
Bc Rich Warlock 7 String
ESP LTD SC-607

FX:

Digitech Whammy 4
Line 6 PodXT Live

Amp:

Line 6 Flextone 2
Would this work for any preamp into any amp (with an effects loop)?

I currently have a VK112, and I'm looking to upgrade to rack mounted gear within the next couple of years. As money is a major issue, it would be easier for me to construct it in stages. If this works for an ENGL e530 preamp into a VK112, that would be excellent, as I'd A/B the signal so I could run one line into the VK preamp (for cleans, and the appropriate effects) and one line into the ENGL (for dirt and the appropriate effects).

My only question would be, how do you control the volume of the power amp? A master volume is a control post power amp, isn't it? Would the regular volume control on the VK still work if the signal was running through the ENGL? Wouldn't the volume control on the ENGL preamp just be a preamp volume control?