I can't even strum between F#m and C#m without getting muted chords in between. How do I get rid of the mutes during changes of bar chords?
Be patient and practice - it takes time to get the hang of them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Be patient and practice - it takes time to get the hang of them.

I've been playing for 2 years. It's not that I'm bad its just I always get a mute sound
Then you need to stop strumming between changes, sounds like it's a bad habit you picked up early on that you've never shaken off....if you don't hit the strings then they won't make any sound.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Dec 2, 2008,
make sure your whole finger is over, if the crease where your finger bends in on it this is will mute it.

strings to work on: g, b
Quote by steven seagull
Then you need to stop strumming between changes, sounds like it's a bad habit you picked up early on that you've never shaken off....if you don't hit the strings then they won't make any sound.

I thought that was it. what if the progression calls for changing to different bar chords very fast?
You can still do it, you just need to shift chords between strums. Just practice songs slowly first so you can get the timing nailed, once you've got the hang og it you can look at gradually speeding things up.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
You can still do it, you just need to shift chords between strums. Just practice songs slowly first so you can get the timing nailed, once you've got the hang og it you can look at gradually speeding things up.

thanks man

edit: so for this song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8fNDfdjXd8

your hand would just be continually moving up and down (although not strumming every time your hand approaches the string) and you would change the chord while your hand is away from hitting the strings? lol basic, I know, just wanna make sure I'm practicing right.
Last edited by beatles34 at Dec 3, 2008,
Pretty much, you just need to analyse the strumming pattern a little closer. For example, if you listen to American Idiot by Green Day the intro is strummed pretty fast, but if you listen closely you can hear the chord pattern

3 strums on the Ab, 3 on Db, 2 on F#, one Db, one Gb and one last F#, something like this

D-U-D       D-U-D        D-D      U       D      U
G#          C#           F#       C#      G#     F#

Now there's places where you could swap a downstroke with an upstroke but the important thing is the number of times the chord is strummed. We tend to gravitate towards straight 4/4 strumming, so down-up down-up on each chord. That means a choppy, slightly awkward pattern like American Idiot doesn't quite fit, and if you don't consciously make the effort to play it correctly you'll find yourself playing chords that aren't there, usually because you're playing an extra upstroke to maintain your familiar pattern, something like this, and that's where those muted strums come from...i've put x's in the most likely places they'll end up appearing.

D-U-D-(U)   D-U-D-(U)      D-(U)-D      U       D      U
G#     x    C#     x       F# x         C#      A#     F#

You just need to pay a little more attention to the patterns and spend a little more time getting the strumming right before getting up to full speed
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc