I currently have an Ibanez s470, a boss ME-50, ds-1 and a marshall mg-50. the mg-50, well to put it plainly, sucks. I want to get a tube amp in the 50 watt range, maybe a little less or more.

I play a pretty big variety of stuff, rock, blues, metal, etc, but I figure that with a solid clean tone and a decent gain I can use pedals to coax anything else out of it that I need. Am I right in thinking that?

i have been looking at the Peavey classic, and it has a good tone and decent gain. anything else I should be looking at? I am trying to keep it under 500 new or used.

Thanks
I'd go for something that has all the gain you'll ever need stock. Using distortion pedals when you have the budget for something that would suit you better is a waste and will sound worse imo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
lol, 50 tube watts. Are you playing that big of gigs yet?

definitely don't need that much power. a Peavey Classic 30 would be just fine

I'd go for something that has all the gain you'll ever need stock. Using distortion pedals when you have the budget for something that would suit you better is a waste and will sound worse imo.

he already has pedals that will suit him fine... its kinduva waste to not use them imo
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
you sound like me in the type of stuff you play, i.e. from blues-metalish stuff. imo, the classic 50 doesn't have enough distortion or gain to quench my thirst. don't get me wrong, the cleans are amazing and it's loud as hell, but i like something that can get me some dirtier/heavier tones
I have the Peavey Classic 50. Incredible amp. Got a 2x12 at Daddy's for $500.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
The Classic 30 is plenty of volume, it gets way too loud for the house at around 6 (out of 12). It can get pretty gritty on the overdrive channel, plenty for any classic rock song and more. For metal you may need a distortion pedal, but used classic 30's are as low as 300 or so used, and then you can use the extra money to get a good distortion or overdrive pedal

Id say the cleans are good as well. Its not fender cleans, but it makes up for its versatility. You could always switch in higher/lower gain tubes to get the sound you want too.
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
6? christ, I can't turn my HRD above 2 in my house. and it's only 10 watts more

I currently have an Ibanez s470, a boss ME-50, ds-1

he already has distortion pedals sheez
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

V-Picks!
Quote by Exo M7
He already has pedals that will suit him fine... its kinduva waste to not use them imo

I have pedals that suit me too, but I don't use them because my amp's distortion rape anything a pedal could ever hope to put out.

The cash he can sell the unnecessary pedals for, plus the cash he already has, could get him an even better amp, or pedals that would be more useful. With a budget of $500, there's no excuse to be using a distortion pedal unless you're specifically going for that kind of sound, which I doubt the TS is.

Quote by Exo M7
6? christ, I can't turn my HRD above 2 in my house. and it's only 10 watts more

The HRD has different kind of pots. The volume on the Classic 30 increases at a more reasonable rate in comparison to the numbers on the dial than the HRD does.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
probably metallica type stuff at the heaviest. not like deathcore or anything. And I play mostly rock, so metal isnt that important.
but I don't use them because my amp's distortion rape anything a pedal could ever hope to put out.

...but you have a Diezel

at any sort of lower budget, pedals do distortion/od way better than amps do

in my opinion, of course

it'd probably be best just for TC to decide with his own ear
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

V-Picks!
Quote by ibanezplayer470
probably metallica type stuff at the heaviest. not like deathcore or anything. And I play mostly rock, so metal isnt that important.

Well, then in that case, the Classic 30 should be good for you. Get rid of the DS-1 and get an overdrive and you'll be in business

Quote by Exo M7
...but you have a Diezel

That's irrelevant to my point because I also own a Vox AD30VT, Duncan Convertible and an Ampeg VH-140C, all of which I have yet to see a distortion pedal that sounds better. Sounds to me like you like the sound of distortion pedals, I don't, all preference
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Dec 2, 2008,
No firsthand experience, but judging from what I've seen/heard, they are both good amps, really. The only problem I see is their reliability. The endless stream of complaints of breaking here aren't isolated.

I certainly would NOT buy one used, at least.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

V-Picks!
Im in the same position im looking at getting a C30 and I already have a metal muff and I also play metal but want good cleans also. I was comparing the classic to the valveking for the longest time and i decided to go with the classic 30 but now im not so sure anymore... i mean i dont know what it is but im having second thoughts about getting the classic 30 now.

My price range is under $700 but i may just keep hold off now and keep saving for the rest of the year and save up for a 6505 combo..... would that be wise?
If you only dabble in metal occasionally, the classic 30 would be a good choice. ($300 used as stated earlier) If you run across a Delta Blues, that would be worth a look too. It's basically a C-30 with tremolo and better speaker configs. Also a Traynor YCV50Blue would be a good choice, a little bigger than the C-30.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
i think its a great amp for hard rock maybe some metal, people say the speakers suck but my 410e cab has great clarity. i only wish it was a closed back. i got a classic 50 head and 410 cab for $340, and it all works great, just need new tubes.