I'm planning out a set neck, 24 3/4 scale guitar.
I just have a question about neck angle: Is it easier (in your experience) to angle the neck join on the body or angle the neck at the join itself. Also, is it easier or is it wise to use wooden shims instead of routing or cutting the angle into the neck or body.
I hope this makes sense to everyone, if not I can draw up some pics.
Thanks.
using shims means the neck doesn't get full contact with the body, which means less sustain. For ease i would reccomend angling the neck heel.
My personal experience was cutting the angle onto the neck was easier. You can use shims after to do slight adjustments.
its pretty easy to do it on the body. I just make angled rails and angle out the pocket with my router on the rails.. its pretty easy to make the rails.
No experience personally but angling the tenon sounds easier.

also I wouldnt use shims on a set neck, I would try not to use them at all, as its kinda shoddy, but definatly not on a set neck.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by guitarcam123
using shims means the neck doesn't get full contact with the body, which means less sustain. For ease i would reccomend angling the neck heel.

AH! I didn't think about that!

Thanks guys, It seems that both ways have been proven to be easy by different people. I'm thinking I will be most accurate using a router and rails.

Quote by carousel182
its pretty easy to do it on the body. I just make angled rails and angle out the pocket with my router on the rails.. its pretty easy to make the rails.

Carousel, how exactly did you go about making the rails to angle the cut? I've been studying guitar building for a long time now and haven't seen much information on neck angle.
its quite simple actually, i get out my protractor measure a 2 degree (or whatever i need) angle. I extend this angle 18 inches. I find the rise over 18 inches for the 2 degree angle. hen this is done i take two pieces of wood that are planed flat. I take the rise of the 2 degree angle over 18 inches and make a base for my rails out of scrap body cut offs and other scrap wood. i staple one piece of woood that is the same thickness as the body to one end of the rails and another that is the thickness of the rise over 18 inches to the other ends of the rails. this gives me rails going don at a 2 degree angle and i just hand route the bottom of the already routed pocket and clean it up with chisels.

Of course you only have to go through that one time for every angle because you can just make an mdf template thats cut to a 2 degree angle or whatever once you have the rails set up.

sorry if that made no sense. its a little late and i didnt feel like drawing a diagram, ill get to that tomorrow.
Hmm It's a little fuzzy in my brain... you don't actually make an angled cut on the rails, you just angle flat pieces of wood?
your rails will be triangular, so that there's a raised edge towards your bridge and there will be only a small bit of wood near the neck joint.
------

Shwiggity.
no you take wo flat rails and nail or screw or staple two flat pieces of wood to either end.. one end is higher so that it angles down.
Quote by deftonesordie
your rails will be triangular, so that there's a raised edge towards your bridge and there will be only a small bit of wood near the neck joint.

I see where you are going, but then I would have the trouble of cutting those to the right angle as well.

Quote by carousel182
no you take wo flat rails and nail or screw or staple two flat pieces of wood to either end.. one end is higher so that it angles down.

Gotcha.
I'm sure my shop teacher has done an angled route before... at least I'd hope so. He can help me with it if i need it.

Thanks guys
My bad, I did the exact thing you'd stated with my template... I'm running on minimal sleep. (stupid exams)
------

Shwiggity.
I'm halfway there, but it's becoming more of a habit for me...

baaad jake. I think i'm actually gonna sleep well tonight, what with the exam and loads of studying and a half hour run...

finally :S
------

Shwiggity.