ok heres the deal im gettin a new guitar for xmas and its down to two. either the ibanez s320 or the jackson dxmg dinky. now i play metal in the melodeath, thrash, metalcore, power metal veins and im primarily planning on setting the new guitar up in c standard. i might use the trem or i might block it but the trem is not totally necessary, preferably i would like to be able to use it when i want to and be able to block it for periods when i dont want to use it. i like thin fast necks which both have im sure. i have always been a jackson lover and the necks are always awesome. but the ibanez is mahogony compared to basswood on the jackson. im so torn! either one seems good. my amp is a peavey valveking 112 and i use a zoom g2.1u for my effects. the thing im least concerned about is pickups as i will probably swap them eventually anyway. help me out!
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
if you're looking for reccomendations i'd got for the ibanez.

probably because i'm an ibanez fan and have never liked jackson (just personal preferance) but the jacksons i've played in music stores always feel a bit weird compared to when i've played an ibanez.

but that's just me...
i really dislike the dkmg dinky because of the bolt on neck. it makes it much harder to do 5 string sweeps and solos and stuff. but that's just me. other than that, it is a pretty good guitar. I would reccomend the schecter c-1 hellraiser fr though. it has 24 frets, an original floyd rose, and emg 81-85 active pickups like the dkmg dinky, but it has a neck thru, which is much better. only downside is that it is a little more expensive.

dont know much about the ibanez, however.

EDIT: I was looking for guitars too, and i have played the jackson dkmg a lot at guitar center.
^^ im lookin at the dxmg not the dkmg (about 200$ difference). otherwise i would buy it haha. and i wont look at schecter i have played plenty and the necks just dont jive with my smaller hands (i have girly hands lol).
I think between those two guitars, specifically, the Dinky has a better track record (parts, repairs, etc.), but I have a couple Ibanez Prestige guitars, and a Jackson Soloist SL1, and I prefer almost all aspects of the higher-end Ibanez's, EXCEPT for the ebony fretboard on the Soloist. If I had my way I'd have dark ebony on all of my guitars.
the jackson has superior electronics by far but i am not as keen on jacksons as i am on ibanez S series.

The ZR trem is awesome though and the mahogany just oozes tone.

I was gutted when i found out i couldn't afford a DK1 USA dinky as i love them almost as much as i love Ibanez.
I would go for the dinky
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
I like basswood (omg) and I'm a fan of both brands, but I wouldn't try to save a bit more and get something else. If I had to pick one of the two i would take the S320 but that doesn't come with good pickups. For about a $100 more you can have one of these awesome guitars:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DK2M-Dinky-Electric-Guitar?sku=517588
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DK2-Dinky-Electric-Guitar?sku=511668
And if you still want EMGs (plus it's sexy):
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DKMG-Dinky?sku=512231
jd red lp- id love to go with those but my rents would kill me for spending anymore than about 500$ im in university and i couldnt justify it to them. they would kill me. but down the road once im done school il buy somethin real nice. but until then i need something goodd at what it does for the price and hopefully something gig worthy cuz im looking at setting up a band if i can find the right guys (hard to find good drummers)
Jackson is better built guitar because i had replaced the ZR bridge in A buddies S320 a while ago (bad bearing with improper care).
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
I would go for the Ibanez since they've improved the quality alot! I play Ibanez myself (not a metal model though but the arc series) and they are great!

I've tested alot of Ibanez metal models for instance this one:Ibanez SAS36FM TL..
I play alot of punk and metal/deathmetal but it didnt really fit my style cause it was to metallish! But I've jammed some awesome metalriffs on it so you could check that one out!
so the jackson trem is pretty decent then? keep in mind if its crappy i will block it. but if i want to use it is it pretty good? i realize its no ofr but as long as its no edge III im happy. and how will the jackson handle c tuning (think arch enemy, in flames, the absence)
the Jackson JT580 is a Good LFR but not as good as an OFR.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
ok i also saw this on samash

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_MH103QM%20LTD%20Electric%20Guitar%20See%20Thru%20Blue_-1_10052_10002_-49959912_cmCategorySA182633

would this be of similar quality? hows the trem? i would absolutely upgrade pickups but its basswood with quilted maple top. whats the neck like? should i go for one of these or stick with the jackson dxmg?
Quote by Sever_the_Skull
i really dislike the dkmg dinky because of the bolt on neck. it makes it much harder to do 5 string sweeps and solos and stuff. but that's just me. other than that, it is a pretty good guitar. I would reccomend the schecter c-1 hellraiser fr though. it has 24 frets, an original floyd rose, and emg 81-85 active pickups like the dkmg dinky, but it has a neck thru, which is much better. only downside is that it is a little more expensive.

EDIT: I was looking for guitars too, and i have played the jackson dkmg a lot at guitar center.

That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard. Neck joint makes almost no difference when it comes to sweeps and solos. I think you're just confused, and thinking about thickness.

EDIT: jordan, if you're going to be changing tunings a lot (It sounds like you are), get the DKMGT. Tremolo systems are only good if you intend to stay in a single tuning for a lengthy period of time, because they take forever to tune, especially if they're locking/double locking.

Don't listen to his post, Neck-Thru and Bolt-On hardly make a difference if the bolt on is built well. And only get a Schecter if you like, or are accustomed to very thick necks.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Last edited by V.U.K at Dec 2, 2008,
im still really interested in that esp/ltd. if i put it good pickups would it be of better quality over all? its made of basswood same as the jackson but has a quilted maple top which is sexy. and i would put some dimarzios/emgs/duncans of my choosing in it. what im asking is the neck good and fast and is the trem at least decent (and if the trem sucks how will it handle blocking? i need good tuning stability so blocking is an option to achieve this) so what do you guys think?
Yeah if you want to change your tuning alot DO NOT get a floating trem as its a bitch to tune, although I always recommend ibanez for most people who want to get into metal or rock, nice guitars for reasonable prices for the most part.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
ya il probly be in c mostly and if i end up changing around a lot il block the trem. so still looking for input on the ltd mh103qm. good upgrader or no?
Esp guitars also have very thin, fast, necks, too. But idk, I just prefer the ibanez feel, especially the a series.
Quote by Sever_the_Skull

the ibanez has a bolt on (i am almost positive it does). also YOU cant sweep on a dinky. just because YOU can't do something on a bolt on doesn't mean its hard for everyone. ask john petrucci, yngwie malmsteen, and paul gilbert if they can't sweep and shred on a bolt on.
ya bolt on i actually a pro for me. if in the future i wanna replace with a warmoth neck i can. and i dont have issues shredding on bolt ons... i been pplayin them all my life... its what im used to.
IF interested in that DKMG. I've a beautiful one for cheap, free hardshell case. Would save you a LOT of money.

There's also a $50 bonus for UG members. It's a tranparent black finish, only 2 years old. Plays perfect, sounds perfect, one minor cosmetic flaw on the back of the guitar. Can't be seen while playing by you or others.

PM! or send me an email for pics at stever@fast.net
BUY MY JACKSON
Quote by imgooley
I don't know what that shit (racer x or paul gilbert) sounds like.

Quote by DSchmitty
Gilbert is a bad riff writer.

Quote by JeffWiredBeck24

Treble - 0
Bass - 0
Mids - 0
Volume - 0
'Tude - 10
Whiny Voice - 10
Panties - White

Quote by Shabadoo
I brake for huge nuts