hey guys I got a basic Guitar book that teaches all the basics and how to read music. I plan on working through that book with my acoustic, and every once and a while just picking around at random things on the tabs on this site. After I go through the book I will probably just play tabs and music if I can read it well enough. Is this a good method of learning to play?
Quote by VanCamp
Pee on things.

Quote by tukk04
back in black-AC/DC
because maybe it'd revive me instantly
i just hope i don't come back black

My Gear
Epiphone SG
Roland 15 Watt Cube Amp
Samick J-2 Acoustic
It should teach you the basics, you will want to take professional lessons as well as play with others to learn more though. There is only so much a book can teach you.
Thats what I did. I used the book until I was familiar with the guitar, then messed around with tabs. But fyi if you get a personal instructor get ready to hit those scales.
I have already had lessons from 2 different people and they were just a huge waste of money. Everyone else I know who plays guitar doesn't even take lessons
Quote by VanCamp
Pee on things.

Quote by tukk04
back in black-AC/DC

My Gear
Epiphone SG
Roland 15 Watt Cube Amp
Samick J-2 Acoustic
yeah but in the long run you're gonna thank your instructor because when you're one on one with someone who knows the guitar and i really mean KNOWS - you're going to learn a whole lot more than just by yourself sure the internet is useful but it doesn't beat someone telling you straight up and showing you at the same time and you know it's right - you don't have to take lessons but your musical horizon will be much narrower since you don't get exposed to many different genres and believe me each genre has completely different guitar skills and techniques and even if you don't like the genre (ie. country) you will learn a whole lot that you can stick into your own creations.
summary:
instructor gives you depth AND breadth of the instrument that is the guitar
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
The book that I have enphasizes lots of different genres, and the Guitar teachers I have had both seem like they don't know that much. One barely knew how to read tabs and couldn't read music, and the other just played classical Guitar with the nylon strings. I think I will be ok off like this.
Quote by VanCamp
Pee on things.

Quote by tukk04
back in black-AC/DC

My Gear
Epiphone SG
Roland 15 Watt Cube Amp
Samick J-2 Acoustic
Quote by skizoman05

summary:
instructor gives you depth AND breadth of the instrument that is the guitar

Even if, as the appears to be the case for the OP, the teacher is crap?
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.