Having lyrics based on Social issues the world faces, EMO?
With all this skewered ideas of whats emo and whats not, Im just curious is singing about politics, homelessness, working poor, and similar would be called emo.
Quote by steven seagull
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
+1

You should always listen to this bird-man-woman-thing.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

What the fuck man!? That's SWEET

I think I might actually use that!

no its not emo but i consider it overdone so it usually has to be really good for me to listen to songs about such
What would you concider not overdone for a metalband though?
I mean, no disrespect to your comment but, death is heavily overdone, we arent all religious, talking about feelings gets you the EMO label, and we want our lyrics to stand for something, so we dont want songs about how fun it is to ride a bike or something stupid like that...
Quote by steven seagull
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
+1

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

who cares if its emo? thats just a label idiots give other people. If you want to sing about it go for it. Music is a form of expression, not a popularity contest..
The two above me, and no. It's not. At all.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Well... idk... being labeled EMO almost always seems to get you blacklisted in many 'TRUE' metalheads eyes... stupid? yes, heck, I even saw children of bodom called emo for their song Bed of Razors. :S
Quote by steven seagull
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
+1

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

make it sound brutal.

politics = unstable/piss you off
homelessness = all is gone
working poor = hard working - working to succed at your goals. you stand for what you worked for.

you can write about feelings just write about pissed off feelings. no "i tried I cried boohoo its raining" bull.

be like *** you im strong
bro0otal

Drummer

Guitarist___________Bassist________________Vox______________________Lead Guitarist
Quote by gold_ninja101
What would you concider not overdone for a metalband though?
I mean, no disrespect to your comment but, death is heavily overdone, we arent all religious, talking about feelings gets you the EMO label, and we want our lyrics to stand for something, so we dont want songs about how fun it is to ride a bike or something stupid like that...

you have a good point its probably part of the reason i dont listen to metal. and my band plays more bluesy rock so its kinda hard to put a emo label on 4 pretty clean cut guys wearing levis work boots and t shirts. but ne way back on topic, i think its possible to make good political music but its just going to be harder to do
Quote by dmiwshicldply
no its not emo but i consider it overdone so it usually has to be really good for me to listen to songs about such

Exactly.... I'm a huge megadeth fan and i heard Peace Sells... I agree with the song, but i think that the subject upon which Dave wrote the lyrics was extremely cliche.

The only song that's really stuck out to me about social issues lately is probably "America" by Dave Smallen. He's a local guy around here, and he did a really good job of speaking the truth through his song... It really speaks to me, cuz i can't deny a single point he's making in that song.
Quote by gold_ninja101
With all this skewered ideas of whats emo and whats not, Im just curious is singing about politics, homelessness, working poor, and similar would be called emo.

Well if it is, Bruce Springsteen's EMO.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

And so would Rage Against the Machine
well why dont we just say "who gives a ****" and move on. its such a stupid topic thats fueled by the music illiterate. I'm sure everyone would agree that you should just play what you like and not care what everyone else thinks.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Quote by Patty-cakez
Exactly.... I'm a huge megadeth fan and i heard Peace Sells... I agree with the song, but i think that the subject upon which Dave wrote the lyrics was extremely cliche.

The only song that's really stuck out to me about social issues lately is probably "America" by Dave Smallen. He's a local guy around here, and he did a really good job of speaking the truth through his song... It really speaks to me, cuz i can't deny a single point he's making in that song.

Peace Sells' lyrics weren't cliche when the song was written, though. Megadeth were one of the very first metal bands to make social issues a big component of their music.

Obviously, Black Sabbath were the first, since they were the first metal band and many of their songs were about the ills of war, but not many people did it after them until Megadeth and Metallica.

Social lyrics are based on context. Writing a song about Vietnam is kind of worthless now, but talking about present-day corruption or always-relevant issues is more powerful.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
the only people who judge music like that are ignorant dicks whose oppinion you shouldn't care about anyway.
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Quote by Symmetry4321
And so would Rage Against the Machine

Don't forget Bob Dylan - that man invented emo. Well, he stole emo from Woody Guthrie and pretended he did, anyway.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Nah. Emo is about emotions, and some gay poetry to fap to. Atleast thats what i get out of the genre. Political issues are more punkbased, but it's in all genres.. Punk, Metal, Rock'n'Roll, Pop, whatever.

But as said before, it's very overdone. So instead of going straight out, make metaphors and symbolization. Make the song interresting. Make sure they'll think about it when it's done
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
I thought the term emo was used for whiny suburban white high school and college kids who have picture perfect lives until their girlfriends leave them than they assume they can sing and play guitar.

I consider the writing which is so-called emo, as any lyrics which are overtly complanitive about meaningless problems and do not state a taking of actions upon those problems.

Springsteen did not complain, he grieved, and spoke, and sung his heart. He did not attempt to feel cool out of depression or anything. He sung real ideas. MCR is just being whiny for no reason.

Megadeth writes about important socio-politcal issues. Fallout boy writes about feeling bad about basically nothing. Maybe they cant stand the fact that their fanbase is a bunch of 14 year old yuppies...
Quote by gold_ninja101

How is that emo?

Make sure that these are good lyrics tho. Read through Pearl jam lyrics, especially their self-titled album.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by Highwaytohell
I consider the writing which is so-called emo, as any lyrics which are overtly complanitive about meaningless problems and do not state a taking of actions upon those problems.

finally, a definition i agree with.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
If you want emo, sing about personal pain and use a bunch of stupid cliche thoughtless metaphors to do it. Don't actually reflect on your experiences or what you've learned either, just talk about your feelings.

(I'm assuming you're using emo in a derogative way, not really talking about the genre).

If you want to write about something other than "talking about our feelings" then talk about the relevance of your feelings and what it means that you have them--that's a psychological and social theme that goes beyond simply talking about how you feel.

Honestly you can write whatever you want and it will be good if you're good lyricists. No topic is overdone--bad songwriting is overdone. If you put "**** you George Bush" in a song it will suck, not because it's political, not because the sentiement is overdone, but because it's a ****ty line to put in a song--like hitting listeners over the head with your "this is my point" hammer.

You want some topics that have to be subtle but are still meaningful to start out with? Write about the process of making music and other forms of art. Write about local color and regional themes--they'll be specific enough to be interesting but not be cliche. write about bizzare stories out of local newspapers. All of this is a cruch to avoid content that easily becoms cliche, but maybe it can get you on your feet.