Ok, I'm hoping to get a new guitar sometime soon, and I really, really like the ML shape. However, there are only two companies to have ever made guitars like this: Dean, and Washburn. However, the thing is, Washburn only makes these guitars as re-issues in collaboration with Boogie Street/ one music store in Kansas. Seeing as I live in NY, and I'd end up purchasing it online if I decide to go with the D3 333, I'd have no chance to try it out, though I have tried a used Washburn 333 series guitar, however, not as high a model and I did really like it.

pros/cons:

Washburn D3 333
Pros:
Schaller Floyd Rose
Seymour Ducan '59/ Dimebucker Pickup combo
Set-neck mahogany body
Cool lightning-bolt design
Isn't "technically" a Dime signature, so it's not overpriced
Cons:
The only place I'd be able to buy one is located in Kansas, so there's no chance I'd be able to try it out seeing as I'm from NY

Dean DFH
Pros:
Also, cool lightening bolt design
I have and will be able to again, try it out
Set-neck mahogany body (I think)
Bill Lawrence humbucker in the bridge
Cons:
Overpriced because it's Dean and it has Dime's name on it
I've heard a few bad things about the quality of this guitar in general

So, can anyone give me some help? Both guitars are priced at $899 and include a hardshell case.
Quote by RoamingConflict
In Soviet Russia, GAS deals with you.

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
A reviewer on Amazon.com reviewing an album by the band "HiM", said that HiM is "fag metal".
Can someone explain to me what is this sub genre of fag metal? I have never heard it before.
Quote by Mlrc
Ok, I'm hoping to get a new guitar sometime soon, and I really, really like the ML shape. However, there are only two companies to have ever made guitars like this: Dean, and Washburn. However, the thing is, Washburn only makes these guitars as re-issues in collaboration with Boogie Street/ one music store in Kansas. Seeing as I live in NY, and I'd end up purchasing it online if I decide to go with the D3 333, I'd have no chance to try it out, though I have tried a used Washburn 333 series guitar, however, not as high a model and I did really like it.

pros/cons:

Washburn D3 333
Pros:
Schaller Floyd Rose
Seymour Ducan '59/ Dimebucker Pickup combo
Set-neck mahogany body
Cool lightning-bolt design
Isn't "technically" a Dime signature, so it's not overpriced
Cons:
The only place I'd be able to buy one is located in Kansas, so there's no chance I'd be able to try it out seeing as I'm from NY

Dean DFH
Pros:
Also, cool lightening bolt design
I have and will be able to again, try it out
Set-neck mahogany body (I think)
Bill Lawrence humbucker in the bridge
Cons:
Overpriced because it's Dean and it has Dime's name on it
I've heard a few bad things about the quality of this guitar in general

So, can anyone give me some help? Both guitars are priced at $899 and include a hardshell case.

Jump on the the bandwagon much? its abit overpriced but don't just go off and say because its Dean.

Anyways, Dean DFH Hands down.
Last edited by The ZenOfShred at Dec 2, 2008,
Quote by The ZenOfShred
Dean DFH Hands down.

Thanks for the advice, but I could I just know your reasoning behind suggesting the Dean? Personal experience, friend's experience, anything?
Quote by RoamingConflict

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
A reviewer on Amazon.com reviewing an album by the band "HiM", said that HiM is "fag metal".
Can someone explain to me what is this sub genre of fag metal? I have never heard it before.
Quote by Mlrc
Thanks for the advice, but I could I just know your reasoning behind suggesting the Dean? Personal experience, friend's experience, anything?

I played it before and it played like a dream. I haven't wplayed the 33 but I hear Dimebuckers are muddy.
Overall I think washbruns are better guitars than deans, my washburn was 40 bucks cheaper than the dean, and it does everything better, I have tried the deans, they are nothing special(THE MODEL YOU WANT)...I havent owned the washburn you're speaking of but I have used one at a pawn shop, Go for the washburn, trust...with out it you get a bad guitar lol
Agile ps 900
Washburn Wi
Rogue bass

all running through podfarm platinum XD
Quote by The ZenOfShred
I played it before and it played like a dream. I haven't wplayed the 33 but I hear Dimebuckers are muddy.

Thanks ^.^

Anyone else have some input?
Quote by RoamingConflict

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
Although both are great axes, I would go with the Washburn. Mainly because its a Washburn. Playing wise, I think you'd be happy with either. Go with what one you think is cooler, and save up to buy the other later.
Quote by XxAltecxX
Although both are great axes, I would go with the Washburn. Mainly because its a Washburn. Playing wise, I think you'd be happy with either. Go with what one you think is cooler, and save up to buy the other later.

Haha, that for some reason came across as like the most chill response ever. Yeah, I'm a big Washburn fan, the very first one I ever picked up played like a dream, but it was considerably out of my budget.
Quote by RoamingConflict

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
Anyone else?
Quote by RoamingConflict

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
i would say washburn, i've always preferred them to dean
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
I've had two deans and they were god awful, go with the washburn and swap out the dimebucker
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
Dean for the win. I want one

It was dimes favourite gutiar. cause from the options you seem to a bit of a dime fan. The dimebuckers arnt as bad as people make out but i dont think they are much better than the bill laurence. Good luck deciding
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
Quote by bazzabalboa
Dean for the win. I want one

It was dimes favourite gutiar. cause from the options you seem to a bit of a dime fan. The dimebuckers arnt as bad as people make out but i dont think they are much better than the bill laurence. Good luck deciding

Well, I actually like the ML for the sole reason of the fact that it feels extremely comfortable. When I went into my local music store last week, I actually went in with a mindset not to try out an ML, because though I do like Dime, I don't want to come across as one of those "Dime was teh pwnz0r gret3est ev3r!1!!!!" sorta people, because I'm simply not. However, I broke down and tried it, and discovered it to be a very comfortable guitar.

From what I've tried I do like the Bill Lawrence over the Dimebucker, but that's something that can be remedied quite easily with a simple pup swap.
Quote by RoamingConflict

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
Washburn. IMO. Where in NY do you live?
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Quote by shredforbread33
Washburn. IMO. Where in NY do you live?

Another one for Washburn ^.^

The Island.
Quote by RoamingConflict

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
Personally, I'd go with the Dean. at least you could try the dean first.
I've played a Dime-o-Flame before and the DimeBucker didn't sound muddy at all.
I really con't say anything for the Washburn other than its a lot less expensive than the dean.

LOL I almost forgot, Dean's customer service may not be as good as washburn either. It took them 2 weeks just to send Guitar Center a replacement Humbucker after the one in my MLX "Broke".
I'm pretty sure there's a used Washburn 333 in a local music store that hasn't been bought yet, my only concern is that it isn't the model I'm looking into buying. I am a pretty big fan of Washburn customer service, as well as the customer service of the Kansas music store. The model I played felt pretty good, but seeing as they may not have been made the same, I really don't know what to expect from the one I'm looking at, though I do really like all the Washburns I've ever tried out.
Quote by RoamingConflict

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
Quote by Mlrc
I'm pretty sure there's a used Washburn 333 in a local music store that hasn't been bought yet, my only concern is that it isn't the model I'm looking into buying. I am a pretty big fan of Washburn customer service, as well as the customer service of the Kansas music store. The model I played felt pretty good, but seeing as they may not have been made the same, I really don't know what to expect from the one I'm looking at, though I do really like all the Washburns I've ever tried out.

I've seen those boogie street guitars and they are pretty awesome and unique and they look really quality. If you want a dean go to DBZ guitars as this is the new company started by Dean Z. I have heard alot of people say the DFH is like 8 peices of wood stuck together and they were really disappointed with it. Id say go with washburn or DBZ guitars and stay the hell away from dean as they look cool but the quality just isnt there anymore and they are overpriced for what they are.... Thats not a bandwagon statement it's the truth and its not hard to prove at all.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
I've seen those boogie street guitars and they are pretty awesome and unique and they look really quality. If you want a dean go to DBZ guitars as this is the new company started by Dean Z. I have heard alot of people say the DFH is like 8 peices of wood stuck together and they were really disappointed with it. Id say go with washburn or DBZ guitars and stay the hell away from dean as they look cool but the quality just isnt there anymore and they are overpriced for what they are.... Thats not a bandwagon statement it's the truth and its not hard to prove at all.

I've only heard one person say that they had an 8-piece body, and that was one person on the Dean forums, other than that, it's just word of mouth that's spreading it.
I've asked some people, and they've said that there's no way that their guitar is 8 pieces of wood, but I think I'll take a closer look next time I go to my local music store just in case.

On Boogiestreet guitars, they're a tad out of my price range. I can go up to about $900. I really like their Southern Cross Ml, but it's $1400 >.< Does DBZ even make guitars right now? I thought that company was still in the works.
Quote by RoamingConflict

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
First I want to point out a mistake in your first post. The Washburn ML-style was a copyright violation and it was a Dime signature model. The main difference betwen the Washburn and Dean is the Washburn isn't symmetrical: look at the bottom horns. The Washburn ML is just as much as a sig model as a Rhoads V

The CFH is actually a really nice guitar. All of Deans hardware is made my Grover, including the Floyd in it. And the Bill Lawrence is a great pickup, better than the Dimebuckers. Current ML body-styles (from Dean) are made of either 2 piece or 3 piece bodies. Any large bodied electric will have multiple piece bodies. They have a V shape set neck. If you've never played a V shape neck, you're in for a good suprise. Best kept secret in guitars haha

Don't think the quality is bad in these guitars; it isn't. Very solid, dependable instruments
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]