Hello. Can you guys please give me an advice about a good distortion pedal. For the start i'm only buying pedal up to 100€.

I need an Metallica old school thrash metal sound and also some distortion for Metallica classics like Fade to Black. But let's just say Metallica type distortion.

Can you guys give me some advices which pedals would be good for that sound? I saw that Boss has a lot of these pedals but I don't really know which one sounds good since I can't try it by myself because shops around here don't have all of them.

Thanks for advices!

P.S: Good night I'm checking the thread tomorrow.
Probably a Zvex Box Of Metal.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
hey one thing for help with the fade to black tone, is to use your neck pickup, he uses a warmer tone for those solos..
Get a Boss Metal Zone

or those new digitech hardwire pedals, I was really impressed with those.
Also add a bit of chorus but very lightly so you get the roundness without the swooshyness.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
i use an ibanez tube screamer with a boss m-2 metal distortion, with a little tweaking you can pretty much get any sound from kill em all to the black album, which is good cause u porb dont want anything after that
Quote by 1201ZJ
Kirk Hammet uses a Ibanez tube screamer, and Jaymz uses a "Brown Source" distortion if that helps.

wtf
Quote by Natrone
I'm a pretty hardcore Christian. I would like to sincerely apologize that you ran into that little fucktard

Quote by mystique facade
dale-banez made a fool of himself..lol

my gear:

oh wait, no one cares
It completely depends on what amp you have.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Also a side note...

ProCo rat was actually used by James in KILL EM ALL

And for Ride the lightning- Kirk used
Studio

100 watt marshal head
TC electronics EQ
Ibanez tube screamer-Used for solos
Boss distortion-Used for solos
Dunlop Wah-Click HERE for info regarding Kirk and WAH

Notes/Quotes:

"I was still using the black Flying V and the Boss Distortion pedal through Marshall amps, with TC Electronics EQ." gw october 1991
"I was still using the black Flying V, but on FADE TO BLACK, I used the neck pickup on my guitar to get that warm sound. I played through a wah-wah pedal all the way in the 'up' position." Guitar World, October 1991
"Again, we were using Marshalls; I tracked the whole album with Marshall amps and my Gibson Flying V.

James used

Studio

Replacement 100 watt Marshall Heads that were later modified
Ibanez Tube Screamer-Last time James used an overdrive/distortion pedal
Marshall 4x12
Notes/Quotes

"Distortion always starts with the amp. Pedals just sit on top of the sound. They don't feel like a full part of it, just some fuzz on top. You can fiddle with parametric EQs and all that **** for days, but it still won't have the smooth distortion of an amp. The last time I used a distortion pedal was on Ride the Lightning. It was an Ibanez Tube Screamer, like Kirk uses. It really helps his solos cut through, but it puts a ****ty coating on smooth rhythm tones, and it was hard to not make it sound like a pedal..." Guitar Player, October 1992
No pedals needed, it's simple really, I can get a decent Metallica sound on an Ibanez 14w.
Gain10
Treble8
Middle3-4
Bass smack in the middle at 5.

Then just add any pedal to it, Digitech Grunge would even work.
*shrugs* I don't know...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Also a side note...

ProCo rat was actually used by James in KILL EM ALL

And for Ride the lightning- Kirk used
Studio

100 watt marshal head
TC electronics EQ
Ibanez tube screamer-Used for solos
Boss distortion-Used for solos

Notes/Quotes:

"I was still using the black Flying V and the Boss Distortion pedal through Marshall amps, with TC Electronics EQ." gw october 1991
"I was still using the black Flying V, but on FADE TO BLACK, I used the neck pickup on my guitar to get that warm sound. I played through a wah-wah pedal all the way in the 'up' position." Guitar World, October 1991
"Again, we were using Marshalls; I tracked the whole album with Marshall amps and my Gibson Flying V.

James used

Studio

Replacement 100 watt Marshall Heads that were later modified
Ibanez Tube Screamer-Last time James used an overdrive/distortion pedal
Marshall 4x12
Notes/Quotes

"Distortion always starts with the amp. Pedals just sit on top of the sound. They don't feel like a full part of it, just some fuzz on top. You can fiddle with parametric EQs and all that **** for days, but it still won't have the smooth distortion of an amp. The last time I used a distortion pedal was on Ride the Lightning. It was an Ibanez Tube Screamer, like Kirk uses. It really helps his solos cut through, but it puts a ****ty coating on smooth rhythm tones, and it was hard to not make it sound like a pedal..." Guitar Player, October 1992

Do this.

Or save up and buy an amp.

Also, when Kirk said he had his wah in the up position, he meant pressed up so the front part is as high as it can go, right? if not what the hell did he mean? Whenever i put the wah in that position, it sounds like crap lol
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- 1982 Marshall JCM 800 2204 (Feels good, man)
- 1960 Marshall AV Cab (Vintage 30s, Feels good, man)
- A shitty MIM strat
- Fulltone OCD (Jizztastic)
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Quote by dale-banez
wtf

wtf u mean??? He signs his name like that sometimes
look (It is not an autograph, but it is his signature in attached pic)
Last edited by 1201ZJ at Dec 2, 2008,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Go with a Rat...

+1
I have an old 1979 Rat that can make just about any amp sound like Metallica. It sounds as good as a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 IMO, but just lacks the fine adjustment & has a bit less range than the FD2 (buts costs less than half also).
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Hello! Thanks for all the suggestions. I have Roland Cube 30 amp. But there is so many suggestions that I don't even know what to try. I was watching Rat's website and I have no idea which pedal did you guys think, because there is a lot of models and I have no idea which one you guys meant.
You shouldn't need a pedal, the Cube's onboard distorton is more than adequate.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
You shouldn't need a pedal, the Cube's onboard distorton is more than adequate.

True. Any added distortion will be just that---added distortion & muddiness. A Cube 30 should get pretty close to Metallica on its own.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011

I'm trying, but it's not going anywhere!

Don't get a pedal for the Cube. It already has all the stuff you need...

If you really want to nail a Metallica rhythm sound, use chorus. That's always overlooked, but can make it sound spot on.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Okay, thanks for the info! Can you guys tell me the EQ to get Metallica sound please? I especially need info on Fade to Black distortion(solo 1, main riff, ending solo) settings
Quote by riffhog
True. Any added distortion will be just that---added distortion & muddiness. A Cube 30 should get pretty close to Metallica on its own.

+1

I've played a bit of Metallica on my buddys 30 and it sounds pretty decent. Mess with your settings some more...
Well I found bass 7, middle 2, treble 7, neck pickup, gain 7, reverb 3 and overdrive effect very good for Fade to Black first solo.

Do you guys know, is in the first solo used distortion or overdrive? What about ending solo?
Last edited by Pepc619 at Dec 3, 2008,
It's amp distortion boosted by an overdrive. Frankly, you can't boost a solid state's drive tone well. It's going to mush up and get really nasty sounding.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
well since every guitar and amp combination is unique, put bass-10 mids-1 treble-10 and tweak to taste
don't forget a WAH
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by dale-banez
wtf

It's how he signs/signed his signature. Sort of a nickname he gave himself really.