Well I just bought a new acoustic guitar from a friend and I changed the strings and cleaned the entire guitar but theres one problem though the action is too high. Is there anyway I can get the action lowered, and how much will it cost? Thanks in advance.
How high is the action?
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Define high. The action on an acoustic is obviously going to be higher than the action on an electric.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by highlordmugfug
How high is the action?

6mm on the 12th fret
4mm on the 12th fret which is what I'm used to and whats on my Les Paul
Quote by Natrone
Define high. The action on an acoustic is obviously going to be higher than the action on an electric.

True, I played my friends brother's acoustic and the action is prefect I find it great.
Depending on whether it's a classical or how cheap it is you can get the russ rod adjusted. If not then it could just be that the neck is warped and you'll either have to put up with it or sell it.
Fiddles
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
NO! The truss rod is NOT for adjusting action! It is to fix bowing problems in the neck!

TS, could you give us some specs on the guitar? Make, model, age, etc.? This would be very valuable information.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
NO! The truss rod is NOT for adjusting action! It is to fix bowing problems in the neck!

TS, could you give us some specs on the guitar? Make, model, age, etc.? This would be very valuable information.

Well my friend said it he got it a year ago and the company is Tradition and in the soundhole it has a piece of paper which reads model number: TG750NAT
Quote by Natrone

If the neck is bowed the action will be affected. Ass.
EDIT: https://www.musicianswebstore.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TG500NAT
Is this the guitar, and to appease Natrone, is the neck bowed any or is the action just high?
Fiddles
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Quote by Z0S07657
Ya thats pretty much it, and the neck isn't bowed, its just high.

Then it's not the truss rod.
http://www.theguitarfiles.com/guitarfile97.html
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/LowerAction/loweraction01.html
Try these.
EDIT:I've never adjusted the action on an acoustic so that's about all the help I can be, good luck.
Fiddles
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Sorry if it sounded like I meant never touch the truss rod. I just meant the truss rod isn't an action adjustment tool, but a tool to fix bowing.

The frets.com article is the best thing you can do.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I find it funny that nobody's asked what gauge strings he put on.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
You most likly don't own a nut file, but in case you do , take a pencil and lay it on a table type belt sander, let the belt do the work and sand the pencil down to the center of the lead, with the strings off lay the flat side of your now weird looking pencil and push it tight against the nut, it will when slideing sideways draw a line on the nut at a height exatly the same as the frets, then file the nut groves down to almost the line. but not to it.
This will lower the action from the 12 fret to the nut. Now check the height at the south end if it's to high pull the saddle from the bridge and place it top side up on the before mentioned belt sander ,, little bit does it check often.

You prob. won't want to undertake these steps, so now take to a good shop and let them do it.
Not being a smarta$$ but just wanted you to know what it could take to set the action if it's very high, If you feel that you can do it great , if you follow these tips with the pencil ( thats just a little known luthier trick)you can do it by your self, Didn't mean to write a book ,LOL
Mark
^ A belt sander is a bit too aggressive for sanding down a saddle as you can remove too much material too fast and ruin an otherwise perfectly good saddle. A better option is to tape a piece of 125-250 grit sandpaper down onto a flat surface and rub the saddle bottom surface along it. This gives much finer control and you can gauge your progress very closely. This is more than likely all the TS needs to do BTW. If the action at the nut is high, then I'd suggest taking it in for lowering. Nut slot files are rather expensive and it's easy to muff up this job too if not careful.
When lowering action at the saddle, measure from the bottom of the strings to the crown of the 12th fret. So you said your action is 6mm there. If you want to lower it by 1mm, then you need to remove 2mm off of the bottom of the saddle. Double the amount of change you want at the 12th fret and remove that amount from the bottom of the saddle. It's doubled because the 12th fret is half the length of the string. Weird math I know.
Warning: If you remove too much material, then you'll either need to shim up the saddle to the right height(I don't care for this as it sacrafices some tone and sustain) or replace the saddle and start over.