So I let a friend of mine use one of my guitars for a gig. I inspected the guitar when I got it back and saw no visible damage, so I put the guitar back in its case. Several months later, I pulled it out and was hit in the face with the most horrendous stench I've ever encountered. Anyone know how to get rid of this?
months later? As in... you put your guitar in the case for months... and are just now concerned about it?
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
maybe it was just sitting in the case too long...could get some body cleaning wipes and try that for it, other than that, ferbreeze or oust
Gear
Ibanez ARX100CA
Marshall MG10
weeping demon wah pedal
Boss Chorus ensemble CE-5
Distortion DS-1
Blue Jay Jr. (Acoustic)
Quote by Thomme
months later? As in... you put your guitar in the case for months... and are just now concerned about it?

my thoughts exactly lol.
Quote by horny_cactus
Who's Rick Roll? Sorry for my ignorance I just joined this forum so I don't yet Know that member.
It could be any thing. Clean and inspect the guitar as best as you can check the case too.
Maybe a mouse or something crawled into the guitar or case and died It's happened! I found a mouse nest in an old Gibson I bought once. The jack plate and jack was missing so I figure that's how the mouse got in, thank God all there was inside was shredded paper but it did chew some of the wiring.

I had a similar problem with a case smelling really bad because it sat in a basement for a very long time. I aired it out in the sun for day on my patio and it helped but not enough. I put a couple of those little car airfresheners in the storage compartment closed the case up and let it sit. When i opened the case all I could smell was the airfreshener. I replaced them with new ones and tossed my guitar in it. Now I put one in all my cases it keeps the cases smelling clean and doesn't effect the case or guitar.

John
Quote by Thomme

I have two guitars.

Anyways...Thanks everyone. I'll try wiping it down with several cleaning products. The smell is coming from both the guitar and the case. More so the case though.
Maybe your friend spilled some beer, milk, or other liquid in the case and it just fermented or soured really badly.

Keep you guitar out of the case for a few days. If your guitar smells better, you will know to get rid of the case
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
Sounds like you and Jerry Seinfield have something in common..

lol
Remember that episode?
"It's beyond B-O!"

Sounds like mold. your case must have been damp, it will screw up your pots too. Clean and keep in a dry place, don't put it back in the case until you dry it and get rid of the mold.
leave the case out in a warm, dry area for a few days, open, and if the smell doesn't go away or lessen, you got mold problems. In that case, get a new case.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by Vittu0666
So I let a friend of mine use one of my guitars for a gig. I inspected the guitar when I got it back and saw no visible damage, so I put the guitar back in its case. Several months later, I pulled it out and was hit in the face with the most horrendous stench I've ever encountered. Anyone know how to get rid of this?

Febreez... Kills odors on sight
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
Quote by Morgant
I'm curious, what does it smell like?

I honestly don't know how to describe it. It's definitely not B. O., nor does it smell like mold. It's a horrible smell that can only be smelt, not described. I know that doesn't answer your question, but it's the best way I can put it.
If its a metaly smell.... the strings need changing, because the sweat on them when the were last played, if not wipe afterwards, can react with them metal. i would suggest a nice set of ernie balls or DR's, or even a good coat of fast fret

as for the other comments

Oust > Febreze

oj
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
Bleach kills like all oders but im sure its harmful for your guitar but the case you could put a shot glass of bleach in the case(carefullly) and close the lid for like two days and when you open it the case will smell new! just dont spill it!
Electric Guitars Samick Torino,Jay Turser warlord, Jay turser jt-xg2( thats a double neck) New york pro Strat copy Acoustics Ibanez pf , new york pro and 3 nylons from the 70's
I left the guitar out of its case for a day, and it doesn't smell. Either that or I've gotten used to it. I haven't checked the case in fear that I may puke in it.